Launch the OS X Terminal then do the following
- On the imaging computer, run:
cd ~/n900-imaging sudo ./flash.py
- Follow the steps in the script started above (flash.py)
- wait for the script to say 'Done! Unplug device'
- unplug the device. The screen will stay black with dots in the center.
- Remove and replace the battery and replace the back plate.
- Ensure that the camera shutter is closed.
- The device will start up on battery insertion.
- Once you see a prompt that says "Your Nokia N900 has the following settings" press the "save" button.
- The screen will change to dots in the center of a black screen while the device finishes setup.
- Once the background of the device changes to a picture of a water stream pressing the 2x3 grid of squares in the top left corner of the screen to go to application chooser interface.
- Scroll down to "X Terminal" and tap that icon to launch.
- In the X Terminal run (substituting $num for the zero-padded host number, n900-001 becomes 001)
sudo initialize $num
- Once this command has completed, plug it into the charger in its final location and run the command:
- leave the keyboard slider open
At this point, the device is set up and will go into staging automatically.
Sample Output of initialize
INFO: timezone set to America/Los_Angeles INFO: Initialised n900-011
THIS SECTION IS FOR SETTING UP A NEW IMAGING MACHINE The rest of the document is not applicable for flashing.
To make this go quicker, you can set up your MacBook (or any mac) to be a flashing computer.
Start by setting up the required Mozilla written tools
cd ~ #or wherever you want to work from hg clone http://hg.mozilla.org/build/tools ln -s tools/buildfarm/mobile/n900-imaging
At this point you need to obtain the following files:
- moz-n900-vNN.ubi - mozilla custom firmware
The easiest way is to run
scp email@example.com:n900-imaging/moz-n900-*.ubi . scp firstname.lastname@example.org:n900-imaging/RX-51*.bin .
Finally, you need the Mac OS X version of the flasher-3.5 program. Download 'maemo_flasher-3.5_184.108.40.206_i386.dmg' from here(live link doesn't work). Next you will need to obtain.