SeaMonkey Meeting Details
- 1 Agenda
- 1.1 Action Items
- 1.2 SeaMonkey 2.0.5
- 1.3 SeaMonkey 2.1 Alpha 1
- 1.4 SeaMonkey Bugday
- 1.5 Feature List, Planning
- 1.6 Roundtable
- 1.7 Any other business?
- Who's taking minutes? -> Ratty
(who needs to do what that hasn't been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.
- Get permission from Google to use their geolocation JSON service [KaiRo]. Contact at Google says they don't want additional specific consumers of the service right now and want to enable some general way of accessing it "some time" - We can only wait right now. No easy solution in sight. Also, discussing a possible open Geolocation service.
- Based on Gecko 184.108.40.206, targeted for May 4, see Releases.
- Builds probably start this week; builds on beta channel in a week at the latest.
SeaMonkey 2.1 Alpha 1
- We should start planning on releasing this alpha fairly soon, both to show things are moving and to get some more testing on that code.
- What big things does current trunk offer (over SeaMonkey 2.0)? FF 3.6 and DevPreview relnotes provide some info.
- WOFF format for website fonts.
- Resizeable text areas in web forms (bug 442228).
- Fullscreen video.
- JIT tracing for x86_64.
- async places expiration.
- Expiration and frecency-ordered form field autocomplete.
- Improved js-ctypes support.
- Better performance on startup and shutdown.
- SVG attributes which are mapped to CSS properties can now be animated using SMIL (bug 534028). Support for SMIL Animation in SVG.
- Core Animation rendering model for plugins on Mac OS X has been implemented. Plugins which also support this rendering model can now draw faster and more efficiently.
- Support for new CSS attributes such as gradients, background sizing, and pointer events.
- Support for new DOM and HTML5 specifications including the Drag & Drop API and the File API, which allow for more interactive web pages.
- Protection from out-of-date plugins
- CSS :visited selectors have been changed to block ways that websites can quickly check a user's browsing history.
- The SSL security system has been changed to fix a renegotiation flaw.
- Support for CSS Transitions.
- Support for WebGL, for Direct2D acceleration on Windows, and a new HTML5 parser (all disabled by default).
- MailNews improvements?
- What is "ready", but not in yet? Why?
- OOPP: Code is all there, but needs libxul, which in turn needs external linkage of mailnews.
- Places Bookmarks: Waiting for reviews.
- Firefox Tabbrowser API should be in good shape for the normal review process.
- about:support is easily doable once core parts are moved to Toolkit.
- For when could we reasonably schedule freezes and release?
- Tentative freeze on 4th May and tentative release on 18th May.
- With about 2 months per milestone, a1 in May makes a2 in July, b1 in September, and a final in November.
Mozilla QA is holding a bugday on SeaMonkey TODAY!
We will be going through a large set of bugs in the "general" component and placing them into the appropriate component for higher visibility to developers. Identifying the right component allows us to more easily dupe, resolve, or escalate bugs.
Feature List, Planning
Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 55 new, 14 fixed, 85 triaged.
- A lot of the triage is KaiRo having done a pass over all open Installer bugs. Going over bugs by component is nice, see the component bug counts to find a good target for your triage!
Major wanted/needed features:
- bug 423281 Help updates.
- bug 483282 Make sure normal SeaMonkey use doesn't pay a price for having venkman installed [Mnyromyr].
- bug 471346 Port GetDefaultFeedReader to SeaMonkey shell service [mcsmurf].
- Got something like r+, need to check what to do now
- bug 460953 kill-rdf port [sgautherie].
- Postponed until mcsmurf (or sgautherie) can resume work on it.
- bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
- SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
- bug 410613 OpenSearch. helpwanted.
- We need to check if OpenSearch can support all our existing functionality, for example the INTEPRETS section in Sherlock search plugins. Mnyromyr will check on that, and on how extensible the Firefox code is.
- bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
- Jeffrey Lee, a Seneca student, is looking into that!
- bug 498596 Places bookmarks. [KaiRo]
- KaiRo has try builds up, please test them. Still need to work out how to drive this into the tree without taking ages for it.
- bug 480734 Satchel data editor ("Form Manager").
- unowned so far.
- bug 477845 Build a standalone (Gecko 1.9.3) Composer. [kaze]
- kaze will look into that once KompoZer 0.8 is done.
- bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
- kaze has done a ton of work there. He's made good progress and is hoping to have DocumentTabs patch ready by Sunday. We're still trying to work out some organizational issues.
- At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That's something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (dmose) At the latest during the Firefox summit.
- bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
- bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
- Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.
- The rest is unowned so far.
- bug 521927 Make Search, Folder Location and Views widgets for MailNews customizable toolbars. [IanN]
- bug 545110 Add/port about:support (Troubleshooting Information page) to SeaMonkey.
- bug 97023 Search/Find in page UI: toolbar instead of dialog [bfrisch].
- bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
- WIP patch posted, waiting for feedback.
- bug 467867 [META] Implement Firefox TabBrowser API in Seamonkey [misak].
- We need to find a solution for Lightning, which is targeting Thunderbird 3.1 now.
Status Updates from developers - what are you working on, what's the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).
- Fixed bug 542283 Port |bug 494826 Compile SQLite with SQLITE_DEBUG defined| to comm-central.
- Working on bug 560007 Remove ifdefs relating to MOZILLA_1_9_2 from generic build config.
- Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.
- Waiting for review on:
- bug 521927 Make Search, Folder Location and Views widgets for MailNews.
- checkin-needed for ~1 month:
- bug 554418 Enable synthesizeDragStart to specify coordinates.
- @Misak: I know you have 5 of those but since the tree is never green and yours contain tests I'm hesitant to commit and push. Sorry.
- Waiting for review:
- Working on:
- bug 556887 Reordering of newsgroups using drag & drop doesn't work anymore.
- Got partial updates for nightlies (bug 555730) actually working by fixing the regression introduced previously (bug 556564).
- Updated the aus2-community update server to current AUS code.
- Updated the SeaMonkey buildbot master to current buildbotcustom code.
- Turned on test packaging for optimized trunk builds (bug 543396).
- Filed bugs on updating our AUS URL (bug 557583) and finding a way for keeping our build machines up with MoCo machine changes (bug 557704).
- Proposed mass-expiring bugs that had no reaction to mass-unconfirming.
- Got a Mozilla bugday set up for SeaMonkey "General" bugs: http://quality.mozilla.org/events/2010/apr/20/bug-day-seamonkey-general-bugs
- Worked on and landed a patch for updating help for places history (bug 472873) - branch approval requested.
- Did another patch for help changes after places expiration changed (bug 546936).
- Updated all places work for bug 536893, and the bookmarks work for bug 556739 (will not update history any more unless for breakages until bookmarks patches land and bug 560111 switches history to the common files).
- Posted new places bookmarks patches in bug 498596 and created new try builds.
- Feedback on the previous try builds and first feedback on new ones is good, only one small bug, but I filed followups on tests (bug 557496), help (bug 557504) and UI prefs (bug 558189).
- Did bug triage for all open installer bugs, closing lots of them as INCOMPLETE due to the old xpfe installer being dead after 1.x EOL.
- Filed bugs to track potentially testing on opt builds (bug 558851) and having some perf testing (bug 558853) - nothing is planned on either immediately, but they should be tracked.
- My fix for the issue that broke our last release run could land now (bug 554737).
- Also filed bug 559302 for finding a home for history bugs.
- Fixed a packaging issues that broke all our tests (bug 560096).
- Updated help for places history landing (bug 472873).
- Followed Google Summer of Code - we probably have a project on Weave and SeaMonkey, I'm mentoring.
- Worked a lot on tooling for bringing project areas up to date, e.g. analysis on patch authors, reviewers and bug components for hg history of all suite/ files, see Project Files on my dev site for that data.
- Checked in long overdue patch for German help (bug 525434).
- Discussed my proposal for expiring bugs that have been in the mass-UNCONFIRM batch 10 months ago and had no comment since then (i.e. had no comment in 5 years total now).
- Posted on SeaMonkey 2.1 Alpha 1 planning (see m.d.a.seamonkey).
- Discussed keeping build machines up to date (bug 557704) and getting a clobberer (bug 555449).
- As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my work, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps.
- bug 549129 Port changes for Visual Studio 2010 to configure.in.
- bug 471346 Port GetDefaultFeedReader to SeaMonkey shell service.
Fixed (or in-progress) bugs:
- bug 480109 Provide tests for SeaMonkey sessionstore.
- bug 558614 Implement Firefox TabBrowser API: loadTabs().
- bug 558636 Port bug 528440 [Should skip windows that are closed but not yet destroyed when using nsIWindowMediator] to SeaMonkey.
- bug 558638 Port bug 524745 [Session restore sets focus to minimized windows] to SeaMonkey.
- bug 558639 Port bug 531519 [getBrowserState sometimes returns two entries for one window] to Seamonkey.
- bug 558641 Port bug 529674 [Restore windows at the saved position without moving them around on the screen] to SeaMonkey.
- bug 558644 Use Services.jsm and lazy getters in SeaMonkey sessionstore..
- bug 558645 Port bug 537290 [Reduce uses of aNode.localName, namespaceURI in XPath generation] to SeaMonkey.
- bug 558646 Bug 506482}} Don't write sessionstore.js to disk for "read only" events.
- bug 558649 Port bug 535408 [Increase Sessionstore interval to 15s] to SeaMonkey.
- bug 558652 Port bug 500328 [Add support for HTML5 History.pushState(), History.replaceState() methods] sessionstore parts to SeaMonkey.
- bug 558995 Port bug 463387 [Add an API for getting web progress notifications for all tabs] to SeaMonkey.
- bug 558996 Port bug 522545 [some tabs not loaded, are stuck in zombie mode] to SeaMonkey.
- bug 506511 Web searches in sidebar pass symbols rather than spaces to the search engines.
- bug 519049 Bookmarks Manager, Toolbar grays out after BM Search is entered.
- bug 405133 Implement UI for full page zoom (SeaMonkey part).
- bug 499785 SeaMonkey can't handle spaces in OpenURL, Firefox can.
- bug 538964 do_QueryObject to query nsRefPtr pointers.
- Trying to dig myself out of >2 weeks of backlog. Normal service will resume eventually.
- Fixed (or in-progress) SeaMonkey (related) bugs:
- Fixed (or in-progress) MailNews Core bugs:
- bug 526817 Port bug 526668 - add option to 'unify' to allow files to match if their sorted contents match
- bug 542291 Port |Bug 363485 - Build break in JavaXPCOM when building with MSYS| to comm-central
- bug 551666 Provide possibility to compile and render Qt port with QGLWidget backend
- bug 552955 Resync' client.py on c-1.9.1 after bug 508955 and bug 538528
- bug 554939 Copy bug 511967 .../locales/Makefile.in changes to comm-central
- bug 554950 Whitespace resync' c-c .../locales/Makefile.in with bug 496196
- bug 555234 enable MOZ_IPC by default for i386 Mac OS X
- bug 556269 Port |Bug 514787 - Remove unused TARGET_CARBON and TARGET_API_MAC_CARBON in configure.in| to comm-central
- bug 556670 Fix resource://gre/ abuses, in comm-central
- bug 557050 [Windows, SeaMonkey (2.1)] xpcshell-tests: 28 MailNews tests fail with "ASSERTION: unable to initialize resource / nsRDFService.cpp", due to Windows (O.E.) A.B. not being disabled
- bug 557413 ar: ctypes/libffi/.libs/libffi.a: Resource temporarily unavailable
- bug 559681 [Windows, Packaged] xpcshell-tests: "Exception / NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND / nsIProcess.init / test_largeOfflineStore.js :: run_test :: line 59". LargeOfflineStoreHelper.exe is not packaged
- bug 506493 Resync' configure.in between c-c and m-c
- Fixed (or in-progress) Core bugs:
- bug 378829 "ASSERTION: Creation of FunctionCall failed" with XPath "z()"
- bug 492476 [MacOSX] mochitest-chrome: the 3 layout/base/tests/test_printpreview*.xul need to report 'todo'
- bug 547039 [SeaMonkey 2.1] xpcshell: test_bug542391.js fails since landing
- bug 548788 [Shredder] Trunk packaging shouting about a missing file: "config/printconfigsetting.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory"
- bug 456606 test_punycodeURIs.js failure on Mac OS X 10.4 (currently worked around)
- bug 556686 [Debug Windows SeaMonkey 2.1] mochitest-chrome: layout/base/tests/chrome/test_bug396024.xul, /test_bug482976.xul and test_printpreview.xul time out
- Fixed (or in-progress) other projects bugs:
- [Thunderbird] bug 549293 Port MOZ_IPC support to comm-central
- bug 547492 Use correct resize cursor for collapsed splitters.
- bug 456628 Lots of dead links and redirects in debugQAMenuOverlay.xul.
- bug 558668 [Mac] Remove splitter cursor overrides.
Any other business?
- review and superreview request lists are quite long and have a number of quite old entries. Everything from previous years should probably checked for validity. If your name is on either the "Requester" or "Requestee" column of any request older than this year, please check if it's still valid and cancel it if it's not. In some cases, reassigning to different people might also be in order.
- IanN intends to go through all of the bugs in the Help component individually.
- Move the meeting to another day of the week? mcsmurf is busy on Tuesday, any other day of the week is fine though.
- Ratty would be fine with any other [week]day. A bit later at 1300GMT would also be better for him although this might make things worse for other participants.
- KaiRo thinks that we can't decide with only the people who actually make it to the meeting. Instead we should leave the next meeting at the usual time and date and get some discussion in the news://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.dev.apps.seamonkey newsgroup.
- Should we expire mass-UNCO bugs that are still without comments as they have gone 5 years without any activity, even though there was a warning and incentive for action 10 months a go?
- Yes, I think we should do that -- mcsmurf.
- Since there are no voices explicitly against it, KaiRo will post to that effect and propose a comment text to go with the expiring.