SeaMonkey Meeting Details
- 1 Agenda
- 1.1 Action Items
- 1.2 Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree
- 1.3 Release Train
- 1.4 Extensions Compatibility Tracking
- 1.5 2.x (Last, Current, Next)
- 1.6 Feature List, Planning
- 1.7 Roundtable - Personal Status Updates
- 1.8 Any other business?
- Who's taking minutes? -> Ratty
- Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
- NeilAway nominates glob for logging #seamonkey.
- InvisibleSmiley nominates sgautherie for fixing tests et cetra.
- Please note A person or entity can't be nominated twice in a row.
(who needs to do what that hasn't been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.
- IanN to write the "Friends of the Fish Tank" F.A.Q.
- Mcsmurf joined the ESR mailing list as official SeaMonkey liaison.
Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree
- "Where do we stand with the machine(s) right now?"
- bug 702490 (Rack 2 - 1U mac mini chassis(4 Mini's) in SCL2 for SeaMonkey).
- (2011-12-01) Servers are now at SCL2 and waiting on emux to provide power/network for them.
- bug 702490 (Rack 2 - 1U mac mini chassis(4 Mini's) in SCL2 for SeaMonkey).
- The SeaMonkey tree is almost back to normal.
- Once the linux VM rebuild is cloned properly and Callek stores the ssh keys and buildbot config, we'll be back at normal capacity.
- The tree status is currently OPEN and un-METERED.
- 2.7b3 shipped on January 7.
- The next six-weekly merge will be on January 31.
- ewong has been working his socks off alongside Callek on the beta releases.
- Callek completely turned on autoupdates to 2.6.1. He is now working on "training" ewong how to do that for the updates from 2.0.14. Callek will do the updates from Linux 64-bit within the week as well.
- Get comm-aurora and comm-beta on MXR (bug 653424).
- Jake Maul [:jakem] from Server Ops has taken over the bug from Callek.
- Bug is still stalled. Server ops have been really busy with the PHX issues, some other severely blocking issues, and holidays.
- en-GB patches needs review. Check to see if we can get a blanket approval to land (IanN).
- or launch a Coup d'état and take over en-GB [Ratty].
Extensions Compatibility Tracking
TL;DR: InvisibleSmiley worked with tonymec on making Nightly Tester Tools not appear on the Error Console, and with the author of Quote Collapse to provide a version that can actually be installed in SeaMonkey. He also discussed with the Lightning developers why there were no Beta builds (there are now). Still no Firebug for SeaMonkey on AMO, but 1.9 works.
We need some help with the add-ons listed under the "2.0x" heading. Anything above it will work out of the box with SM 2.7 and later (yay tocompatible-by-default!). Perhaps Ratty can go through his xSidebar site and check which add-ons are not compatible with at least SM 2.1 - that would help.
- Addon Compatibility Listings created and maintained by InvisibleSmiley, with help from some community members like DERoss.
- Enigmail provides versions for release (AMO) and all branches (Enigmail nightly page). The current release is compatible with both 2.5 and 2.6.
- Lightning provides versions for the current stable and beta releases (AMO) and nightlies for trunk and Aurora (Calendar Versions page). There has been some confusion about versions for Beta. The link on the Calendar Versions page points to tinderbox builds which are auto-removed after some time. Over the Christmas period, no Beta builds were available from both the Calendar Versions page and AMO. Lightning 1.2b1 is available from AMO now (Development Channel) and should be available in time for future betas.
- The latest Firebug is now fully compatible but still not flagged as such on AMO (which seems to depend on automatic tests being set up and run on the Firebug side, see Issue 4430). Use Firebug 1.9 for 2.4 and later (maybe even earlier SM versions).
- Besides the above, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.x.
- KaiRo created a SeaMonkey Features page and sub-pages for all those that are in development. Please add major features to the respective pages, ideally as they land.
2.x (Last, Current, Next)
- 2.5 introduced a news server problem which is still present in 2.6 and 2.7 pre-releases (bug 695309; jcranmer is on it) which explains why some people stay on 2.4 (but not why others stay below that one).
- InvisibleSmiley proposes that we monitor bug 695309 and make sure that we ship a fix in 2.7 if TB ships it in the matching release. That is, if TB delays 10.0 for it, we should delay 2.7, too.
- 2.6 had ~30,000 ADU by last Thursday and 2.6.1 has had ~48,000 downloads so far.
- Of the released versions, as of last Thursday, we have 18.5% on 2.0, 7.3% on 2.1-2.3, 7.8% on 2.4, 41.3% on 2.5 and 25.1% on 2.6. So, in the last four weeks, ~4k (an additional 3.5% of ADU) have migrated to 2.4 or above.
- Figure out what is preventing people from moving from 2.0.x to the latest versions.
- Perhaps putting resources into getting certain extensions working with SM 2.4 and above.
- Still need volunteers to look at what is keeping people at below 2.4. IanN could try knocking something up and send it round members lists for polishing but he's not on all the channels (mozillazine, etc) to post it to when finished.
- Please make sure that anything that landed on comm-beta (for TB) or mozilla-beta (for FF) which affected non-shared code and which fixed regressions will be fixed on our side, too. Please mark bugs we feel *need* to land on a particular train tracking+ or tracking? so that when we to do a release we can be sure that we don't miss anything.
- Priority should be given to fixing regressions ASAP. Also keep an eye on and prioritize bugs to be ported from FF/TB that land on branches (Aurora, Beta). We need to keep an eye especially on Session Restore, Sync, Tabbrowser and Address Book.
- Be careful not to break code shared with Thunderbird, otherwise patches might have to be backed out of string frozen repositories.
- One tracked 2.5 issue still open.
- 2.1 through 2.6.1 have NOT included the ka locale. The last release with ka locale shipped was 2.0.14 and the ka l10n maintainers have not yet updated for changes in later SeaMonkey versions.
- Callek now needs to morph bug 667147 into removing |ka| from our [current] automation entirely (all-locales).
- The New 2.6 Features page has a comprehensive list of features.
- Remember to help update the New Features pages as we go along.
Feature List, Planning
Bug statistics for last four (full) weeks: 55 new, 20 fixed, 53 triaged.
- Good triaging effort! :-)
- Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!
Major wanted/needed features:
- bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].
- Progressing slowly, still waiting on reviews from TB side. Full customization has to go to 2.next (currently 2.6 but could be pushed back further) as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.
- IanN is still wading through the unpicking of Composer/Mail Compose code in the dependent bugs. After that he will be reworking his customising patches.
- bug 477845 Build a standalone (Comm-central) Composer. [kaze]
- kaze has done a bit of work in this bug recently. Building on Windows works. Now supports debug builds on Linux if tests are disabled (--disable-tests). Still a lot to do.
- IanN was supposed to help get builds working with --enable-tests.
- Will look into this once he gets his customization patches reworked.
- Real full-screen (bug 610509) and DOM full-screen (bug 701714)
- patches provided by Mnyromyr and InvisibleSmiley.
Needing help, Unowned, Stalled
- bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
- SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
- bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
- bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
- kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That's something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (Standard8).
- bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 - Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
- bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
- bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
- A list of TODO icons is up in the bug.
- bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
- bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.
- The rest is unowned so far.
- bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
- Note: Our location bar history doesn't and can't use autocomplete at all.
- bug 677484 Individual SeaMonkey components are not properly handled by the Windows 7 taskbar.
- bug 654009 Reply to list: automatically determine From: address
- Note: The actual task here is to port bug 45715 "Reply to List" [button/(context) menu item]
- bug 664309 Make the built-in ChatZilla display a cZ icon in SeaMonkey (now helpwanted)
Roundtable - Personal Status Updates
Status Updates from developers - what are you working on, what's the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).
aceman has been doing some work that touches SM as well as TB especially around feeds, which is good stuff.
Completed Release Engineering tasks:
- bug 710848 (SM2.6) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.6 Final Release.
- bug 712697 (SM2.7b1) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.7 Beta 1.
Build Config fixes:
- bug 711718 Mac64 builds failing during packaging.
- bug 712260 On Migration Day, update client.py to pull stable versions of suite extensions.
- bug 712298 Latest trunk 2.7 and 2.8 damaged.
- bug 713649 Adding zh-TW locale to all-locales.
- bug 714009 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.7 Beta 2 (with assist from InvisibleSmiley).
- bug 714574 Unable to upload trunk zh-TW on mac, due to SEARCH_PLUGINS failure.
- bug 292569 Add support for #pragma once to headers.
- bug 560772 Make use of mozilla::services for comm-central.
- bug 714495 Port bug 713167 |Microsoft.VC80.CRT SideBySide errors, browsercomps.dll| to comm.
- bug 714967 Export mozilla::services::Get* to external consumers as well.
- bug 715754 (SM2.7b3) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.7 Beta 3.
- bug 591848 SeaMonkey linux and Windows machines need device support for sound enabled.
- bug 640464 Develop a way for tests in mozilla-central to be overridden in a suite build.
- bug 715802 Move quirks triggering into nsSuiteApp.cpp because bug 696376 caused our quirks to be triggered too late.
- bug 78357 - Account wizard doesn't have place to enter port info
- bug 102275 - Number untitled pages.
- bug 513900 - executable permissions for data files (port bug 461322 to SeaMonkey)
- bug 608103 - Message Display panel clipped on Windows 7
- bug 670561 - show profile path in profile manager.
- bug 675589 - Group all session restore menu items together.
- bug 678979 - Remove README.txt from release packages
- bug 701683 - Port |bug #698248 - Remove FORCE_USE_PIC| to SeaMonkey
- bug 702297 - Recently Closed Tabs/Windows in the Go menu are no longer disabled when empty
- bug 704836 - Update removed-files.in because update.locale has moved into omni.jar.
- bug 708703 - Use defaultPrevented instead of the deprecated getPreventDefault() in front-end code.
- bug 713987 - Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.7 Beta 2
- bug 715793 - Port |Bug #715048| to Comm-central.
- Needs Review:
- Working On:
- Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.
- Waiting for review on:
- bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js
- bug 702098 Update en-GB for Firefox 10.0/Thunderbird 10.0/SeaMonkey 2.7 (2 patches)
- bug 713355 Update en-GB for Gecko 11.0 (mozilla-aurora)
- bug 713356 Update en-GB for Firefox 11.0 (mozilla-aurora)
- bug 713358 Update en-GB for Editor 11 (comm-aurora)
- bug 713371 Update en-GB for Thundebird 11 (comm-aurora)
- bug 713374 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.8
- bug 713375 Update en-GB for Calendar/Lightning 1.3
- Waiting for additional review on:
- Reviewed and waiting for feedback from mobile peer:
- bug 689253 Update en-GB for Mobile 10.0 (comm-aurora)
- Working on:
- To Do:
- bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.
- bug 716382 Help Peer Support User Newsgroups link takes you to Firefox help at Sumo
- bug 716266  http://blog.mozilla.com/futurereleases/2011/11/04/type-inference-to-firefox-beta/
- bug 711937 [SeaMonkey] xpcshell: "TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | [...]/testclearHistoryshutdown.js | places-expiration-finished == places-connection-closed"
- bug 713119 Make AddonRepository.getAddonsByIDs() not send performance data
- bug 713087 Port |bug 534956 - Sync add-ons|
- bug 712702 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.7 Beta 1
- bug 712701 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.6.1 Oilspill release
- bug 712067 Seamonkey 2.3/2.4 links don't work
- bug 711779 Add Bookmark This Link to feeds' Website header link context menu
- bug 711348 gkmedias.dll is missing in latest nightly (20111215)
- bug 710851 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.6 Final release
- bug 710344 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.6 Beta 4 release
- bug 709717 Send the compatibility mode when using AMO Search API
- bug 707225 Addon update check should take into account compatibility preferences
- bug 703883 Create/Update 2.6 Release Notes
- Waiting for Review:
- bug 701714 Add support for DOM full-screen
- look into
- bug 687316 (Remaining) Sync changes to port to Suite
- bug 356742 [cocoa] Sheets are offscreen if opened when all windows closed (attached to hiddenwindow) [final patch by Steven Michaud].
- bug 610509 Make fullscreen mode really fullscreen.
- bug 669026 Scrolling with arrow keys is broken if any element on the page has contenteditable=true (Editor).
- bug 692153 contenteditable=true breaks copy menuitem (Editor).
- bug 698256 Want Substring(data, length) convenience method (Core).
- bug 698217 Simplify new static Preference methods (Core).
- bug 707305 Re-enable building with --enable-incomplete-external-linkage (MailNews Core).
Waiting for review:
- bug 713405 Can't drag-n-drop from the address book sidebar.
- bug 485686 Page Info does not display any information about video stream from video tag.
- bug 703836 MsgComposeCommands.js Code cleanup: Use Services more, reuse code, and remove commented dumps.
- bug 705452 BrowserSearch.loadSearch() uses the current search engine if the search sidebar is selected even if the sidebar itself is hidden.
- bug 713563 gPromptService is not defined trying to add empty contact from sidebar.
- bug 713671 addressingWidgetOverlay.js uses non-existent gPromptService.
Waiting for feedback:
- bug 701432 Add support for fave icons on jump list uri entries.
Waiting for review/moa:
Waiting for moa/super-review:
- bug 714595 Simplify FillIdentityList() and getCurrentIdentity().
- Bug triage and Bug discussions.
- End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.
- Fixed (or in-progress) SeaMonkey (related) bugs:
- bug 564656 "Warning: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file: ....app/Contents/Plug-Ins/ (package-manifest, ...)."
- bug 709829 Port bug 673017 changeset 02ce78afb984 ('places-connection-closing' removal) to SeaMonkey
- bug 713173 Port |Bug 556563 - Disable/remove "View video" when you're already viewing the video| to SeaMonkey
- bug 714248 Port |Bug 674725 - WebSMS (or Messaging+)| to SeaMonkey
- bug 714249 Port |Bug 678694 - Battery API| to SeaMonkey
- bug 714251 Port |Bug 697383 - implement navigator.mozApps| to SeaMonkey
- bug 714252 Port |Bug 713504 - Stop trying to package jetpack.xpt, since it was removed by bug 711838| to SeaMonkey
- bug 714253 Port |Bug 713415 - Stop trying to package dom_threads.xpt, since it was removed by bug 649537| to SeaMonkey
- bug 714255 Port |Bug 699918 - Add a Profiler XPCOM Module| to SeaMonkey
- bug 707039 [SeaMonkey] mochitest-chrome: "TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL ... textLTR.openPopup is not a function at ... test_bug649840.xul:39"
- bug 712871 [SeaMonkey, Windows] mochitest-5: "test_contextmenu.html | checking expected number of menu entries - got 26, expected 24" and 30+ other errors
- Fixed MailNews Core bugs:
- bug 705573 Make mailnews compile with frozen linkage on debug Windows
- bug 707517 Port |Bug 603574 - [Windows VC++] --disable-profile-guided-optimization is ignored| to comm-central
- bug 707539 Port |Bug 639754 - Remove MOZ_IPC checks since IPC is always built now| to comm-central
- bug 710295 test_autoconfigFetchDisk.js is not fully disabled on SeaMonkey
- bug 715210 Remove some WINCE leftovers in comm-central
- Fixed Core bugs:
- Fixed (or in-progress) other projects bugs:
- bug 713445 [Mac Default] tabbrowser tab title text styling is wrong in Lion.
- bug 713446 White text with text-shadow in selected bottom tabs.
- Bug triage including:
- Follow-ups to the Halloween2011Bug event. Closed bugs as WORKSFORME/INCOMPLETE.
- Track and resolve extension issues:
- SeaMonkey QA (ongoing, see below)
Ongoing and TODO:
- Live-testing linux-x86_64 trunk nightlies with many extensions (several tens) and tabs (a couple of hundred), custom userChrome.css, etc. using both a 3rd-party theme and a Persona (see bug 520124). ChatZilla with three auto-connects and many auto-joins, currently crashing trunk at cZ startup (bug 716232)
- QA and bug triage for anything SeaMonkey-related
Any other business?
- Need to review project areas
- IanN has put out a final draft of the project areas list, and will then confirm that anyone who is not in the loop already has been consulted.
- We will also need to update the Mozilla-wide list of official reviewers
- Extended Support Releases (ESR)
- At the moment looks like that will be based off Gecko 10 so that will be 2.7 for us. Assuming we have the machines, we will also have an ESR which might help move some of those still on 2.0 up to 2.7.
- Our ESR should use the same branch as Firefox ESR so any Security and Stability "extended" fixes for Gecko will be picked up by the SeaMonkey ESR.
- An ESR (Extended Security Release) may not be a given for us out of the gate. Callek thinks we should revisit that, separately, once it is clearer what MoCo's general plans for their marketing/target/support levels etc. are.
- mcsmurf is on the ESR mailing list and has volunteered to be our ESR goto guy.
- Geolocation now works out of the box. MoCo turned it on by default for all applications that build off mozilla-central.
- For comm-beta all we need to do is (bug 494421) to add pref("geo.wifi.uri", "https://www.google.com/loc/json"); to browser-prefs.js. However we're not even sure we are legally allowed to ship with the URL in, we might need to actually put in a pref to disable that in newer builds.