Summit2008/Sessions/Proposals/History & Future: Imagining the Web Browser of 2015/Preparation
Presentation/Discussion/Demo/about the next-generation web browser.
1. Literature review.
- CHI archive about recent design trends.
- People's blogs talking about future web browser design
2. Demos, examples, stories.
3. Thoughts on how to encourage people to talk.
1.Briefly introduce the history of web browser(Slides)
2.Examples of new web browsers and analyze the trend(Slides)
3.Our vision: Future browser mock-ups (5)
* A. Miner improvements: Integrating CSS style | fingerprint identification
Now: Browser's visual style never change; Users cannot remember users names and password.
Mock-up A: Show how the browser embed with different sites' CSS style; Show user tap the screen to log into a website(mock-up pictures)
* B. Social interaction
Now: Software/Digital devices are mainly designed by cost-reducing and benefits-increasing constrains, in a context of an individual use. Future: Observe in a way the breakdowns of social links and a standardization of the human taste and behaviors, make the individual very interchangeable.
Mock-up B: Show the browser enhances inter-personal exchange and social share, including human computation on a social context(Scenario)
* C. Aesthetics in user actions
Now: When interacting with most existing softwares, our physical actions are still limited to pushing, sliding, and rotating. Current products ignore that we are capable of much more complex motor actions and thus do not fully tap our bodily skills. Consciously designing for human dexterity gives new aesthetic possibilities, which are still largely unexplored in design.
Future: Software/Digital products with self-powered, robotic parts, which are able to respond or even autonomously act through physical movements. The question now is whether such physical product movements could instead become a coherent part of human-product interaction, complementing existing forms of feedback such as displays and sound. Considering the coupling of user actions and product responses opens up a whole new design space in which factors such as rhythm, flow, timing, and richness of interaction play a role.
Mock-up C: Figure gesture controlling the browser(mock-up pictures)
* D. Mobility | Context awareness | Emotion | Personalization
Now:For mobile device, The quality of service is low and that mobile applications are difficult to use... Future:Natural and intuitive M-interaction and fit so well with the contexts of use that users feel no skill is required to use the associated mobile device, with the ability to present, and allow users to interact with, content in a customized and customizable fashion.Device knows about you and your life in a considerate way, allowing the user to establish a relationship with the device. (Device functions as a digital being?)
Mock-up D:Show how the browser knows about you and help you to finish daily routine tasks. (Scenario)
* E. Present my video demo.
- What is a web browser now? What is a web browser in 10 years?
- Why web browser? Where does Internet go?
- What hardware environment does a web browser run on? (desktop, cellphone, and..)
- How smart a web browser can go?
- Famous quotes about web browser.
- How emotional a web browser design should go?
- User customization.
- Criteria of a good web browser.
- History: Web Browser's yesterday, today and tomorrow.
- What direction does firefox browser should go?
- Popular UX design thoughts, how do we apply to web browser design.
- Challenge for developers, designers, and marketing people in the future.
- Content VS form
- Personal and Ubiquitous Computing
- Usability VS Aesthetics
- Semantics web
- Keyboard UI
- GUI improvement
- Media and browser
- Digital self
- Traditional printing display on web browser
- Cinema and browser
- 3D web
- Detail:menus, fliters, plug-ins
- Video messaging
- Database and browser
- Computer science and browser
- Voice UI
- Design research
- user-centered design, participatory design