Summit2008/Sessions/Proposals/Web Standards & Strategy
Web Standards and Strategy
Session Leader: Arun Ranganathan
This session will be a discussion of our existing standards activities, what we want to do going forward, and how you can help the web out.
Note that there are already two standards-y talks, including "Device APIs" and "Accessibility" both of which are big enough to warrant their own session :-)
- An overview of the (often weird) Standards Universe and what organizations do and how they work
- ECMA, W3C, WHATWG, and even OpenAjax Alliance, Khronos, OMA, and new stuff that crops up (e.g. Bondi). Also, the Open Web Foundation announced at OSCON.
- HTML5, WHATWG, and WebAPI -- a hodge-podge world of intersecting interests
- Worker Threads
- Selectors API
- Cross-Site Access for XMLHttpRequest (and Forms, and XBL, and XSLT...)
- Recent F2F in Redmon
- FileUpload API proposals
- Bunch of other stuff...
- HTML5, CDF, SVG, CSS, Security Context, and GeoLocation
- What's great, what sucks, and why
- Future looking
- What ELSE should Mozilla be doing?
- A free for all discussion. Provocative questions include: should we dream big and go it alone (hoping others follow rapidly), or cooperate and keep working in an imperfect standards world? Suggestions for improvements? Also, any candidates for spec. editor handy? What about stuff like Prism?
- Projector maybe