The content of this page is a work in progress intended for review.
Please help improve the draft!
Ask questions or make suggestions in the discussion
or add your suggestions directly to this page.
Add-ons support on SUMO
This is an early draft of how Firefox add-ons support could be integrated with SUMO. The goals are:
- To create a centralized place for Firefox support for users that eliminates the confusion about where to go for help depending on whether a problem is caused by Firefox or by an add-on.
- To provide add-ons developers with a support platform so they don't have to host content on their own servers or externally.
Add-on support start page
- Each Firefox add-on gets its own support start page.
- This will be a modified template of the normal Firefox support start page, and will be customizable (by the add-on author only?) just like any other wiki page.
- By default, the landing page could automatically list all articles written for the add-on in question (though since it's a wiki page, it should be possible to override).
- Typically, an add-on would host 1-3 articles. In the most simple case, it might just be an FAQ, but for more popular add-ons, more problem-specific articles may be created.
- When creating a new support article on SUMO, it should be possible to associate it with a specific add-on, just like it's possible to associate it with a specific version of Firefox or OS platform today.
- Each add-on gets its own "sub-forum" on SUMO for user questions not covered in the support articles.
- Technically, we would use tagging to associate a support question with a specific add-on -- the questions would still end up in the same master Firefox support forum.
- The author of the add-on (and anyone else for that matter) can easily set up an RSS feed for any support questions about their specific add-on.
- When submitting an extension on AMO, there should be an option to also create a support page on SUMO. If this is selected, an account should be created on SUMO (if the author doesn't already have one) and the support landing page for the add-on should be created.
- The list of Firefox add-ons on AMO should be shared/synced with SUMO