Support/Weekly Meetings/Notes 2012-04-02

From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Meeting Details

Mondays (meeting duration approx. 30 minutes) at:

  • 9:00 AM PST
  • 12:00 Noon EST
  • 16:00 UTC during summer
  • 18:00 CET
  • 11:00 CST

Phone call details:

  • California: 1-650-903-0800, x92 then 9309 then #,
  • Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, pin 369 - then 9309 then #
  • Skype (free): +1 800 707 2533, pin 369 - then 9309 then # #sumo <== Click the link to use web-based chat

Sumo Development Update

  • End of 2012.6 sprint
  • Next sprint starts tomorrow - 2012.7
  • search improvements last week. Performance is now as good as sphinx (old search code), and we can go faster from here.
  • Tobbi's autocomplete widget is reviewed and will land this week.
  • we're proposing a cool-down week after every three sprints, for spring cleaning, code that's not part of the roadmap.
    • sumodev to talk to Kadir about postponing 2012.7 sprint one week.


  • Deployed Susan’s Information Architecture (task-based navigation) on
    • My reference document
    • some links point to pages outside of sumo. we'll need to contact managers of affected mozilla websites to warn them about possible traffic increase.
    • need a plan for measuring success of this change
  • Collected examples and best practices of product pickers, search facets and navigation design patterns for the new SUMO
  • This week, I will start drawing paper prototypes
    • That Susan will test in a few weeks, in Portland
  • Spent last week in Bandung and Jakarta, working normal hours (10–7pm!) and met with local Mozilla and Campus Representatives
    • Mozilla is coming to Indonesia, formally – it will be my side project


Please add your comments, questions and updates here.

  • Kadir, Madalina and Rosana are traveling today.
  • need a good way to test changes to the home page that won't be lost on staging site (when it gets re-synced).
    • Verdi and Ricky to discuss it another time.

Firefox Status Update

  • Need to KB the following issues:
    • TypeError: Components.classes[cid] (caused by add-ons)
    • "Your browser is blocking Flash"
  • Verdi and Cww will sync up to get those articles created


  • KPI Dashboard
    • questions responded to within 72 hours may be higher, because unconfirmed threads are not counted.
    • what happened to KB contributors in March? Rosana will might have more info about this, so let's have this discussion another time.
  • SUMO
  • Mobile specific


Knowledge Base

  • We need a coordination meeting - trying to set one up for Thursdays.
    • Idea is for everyone working on breaking issues, localization, mobile, services, etc. in the KB to touch base.
    • exact time will be clarified. (time zone confusion)



Support Forum

Chat Log

11:01 Matt_G: Morning!
11:01 Matt_G: Just joined the call :)
11:03 smo has joined (
11:04 Ibai has joined (
11:04 smo: Vito on the sidelines
11:06 Ibai: my vidyo account is not working...grrrr
11:06 djst has joined (
11:09 hanthana has joined (danishka@7CB637C6.E1075A2C.CD2C8343.IP)
11:12 williamr has joined (
11:17 Matt_G: bram: I can help as well if you need a few extra hands
11:19 smo: bram: me too, feel free to contact me
11:19 bram: Matt_G: thank you! if you know how to edit the wiki, I’ll need a lot of help in that
11:19 bram: smo: you, as well :)
11:19 smo: done
11:21 bram: Matt_G smo: what I can do is put all the navigation pages and links to articles. what you could do is take care (or contact people who know) of the content fit and finish
11:21 Matt_G: bram: sure, just let me know what you need :)
11:22 Richard has left ()
11:22 bram: Matt_G smo: let me give you an example. on the privacy/security topic page, there are a lot of links:
11:22 bram: Matt_G smo: what we probably need are ways to order and group those articles in ways that would make sense
11:23 hanthana has left IRC (Ping timeout)
11:23 Matt_G: bram: sure. I'll take a look :) I've got some time later today.
11:23 bram: Matt_G smo: for example, “delete cache, history, etc.” is a really common issue, so it should probably be put higher up the list, or be made bigger in size
11:25 smo: bram: by wiki you mean SuMo pages, right?
11:26 Ibai has left IRC (Ping timeout)
11:26 bram: smo: yeah, SUMO pages
11:27 michelleluna has joined (
11:27 ChanServ has changed mode: +ao michelleluna michelleluna
11:27 Tyler has left IRC (Ping timeout)
11:27 bram: Matt_G smo: another example, “Firewalls” is another sub-topic, so we can probably make the “Firewalls” article a bigger thing, with McAfee, Norton and Windows Firewall under it. There are lots other subtopics.
11:28 Tyler has joined (
11:29 Ibai has joined (
11:29 smo: bram: this is pretty much a design job, and I hope there's some facts next to my (our) gut feelings;)
11:30 smo: bram: maybe a thread on contributors to get data and facts for us?
11:30 bram: smo: actually, it is about content grouping. I’ve listed all the articles that needed grouping in the navigation pages, so to speak ;)
11:31 smo: bram: I have some catching up to do;\
11:31 bram: smo: yes, but take your time :)
11:32 bram: smo: for example, if you open the last page (, you will see that you can group these articles under several headings. lots of pages need grouping like this.
11:33 smo: bram: thats exactly the one I just had a look at! The job to do is to structure in some common/sense fashion to diminsh the focussing time for the visitore
11:34 skinny has joined (
11:34 bram: smo: that’s correct. make it easy on visitors to get to the right articles, rather than make them scan 20 items :)
11:35 Tyler has left IRC (Ping timeout)
11:36 Tyler has joined (
11:37 hanthana has joined (danishka@7CB637C6.E1075A2C.CD2C8343.IP)
11:37 Suresh has left IRC (Ping timeout)
11:38 smo: bram: Ill be in touch, OK! / and I am staying around