Support/Weekly Meetings/Notes 2012-06-18
Mondays (meeting duration approx. 30 minutes) at:
- 9:00 AM PST
- 12:00 Noon EST
- 16:00 UTC during summer
- 18:00 CET
- 11:00 CST
Phone call details:
- California: 1-650-903-0800, x92 then 9309 then #,
- Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, pin 369 - then 9309 then #
- Skype (free): +1 800 707 2533, pin 369 - then 9309 then #
Participate in the video:
- Video link (You'll have to download and install the Vidyo Desktop client)
irc.mozilla.org: #sumo <== Click the link to use web-based chat
Sumo Development Update
- Re-introducing Rehan, this time on video.
- 2012.11 sprint ends tomorrow.
- 2012.12 sprint starts tomorrow.
- Priority 1: Unified search view
- Priority 2: research for implementation of back end for new IA
- Landed support forum common responses. Thanks Tobbi!
- Last week we discussed how we could automate the creation of topic navigation pages. Michael and Matt will meet again this week and can put together new mockups and a requirements doc. We'll discuss it at the next KB meeting on Thursday.
- Assets from Phase 3 presentation, in case you missed it. I recommend going through it in this order:
- Data document highlights
- Data document, containing unabridged incident records from the prototype tests
- User testing videos are shared to staff in the interest to protect our tester’s privacy. If contributors would like access, I can share it. I just can’t post the URL somewhere public.
- As outlined in last week’s presentation, we have a few to-do items. I am happy to tackle some of it:
- Search facet work, and Matt’s facet-based navigation. There’s bound to be some UX work in this to make the facet obvious for people to click it.
- Ask localizers to confirm whether English is a secondary language. If it is, we will offer the “in English” language picker, rather than the full one
- Search result display of forum threads should be more accurate
- I am not sure if search tuning work is scheduled. It should if it hasn’t been, because it will improve search helpfulness
- Maybe: Adapt “Tour the user interface” somewhere in the getting started area.
- Work on the Ask A Question flow is going on (bug 758731). Please read that comment to see the latest revision, and what’s changed since the last one
- tl;dr summary:
- User gets to review what he wrote
- Product and topic detection (or selection) happens after the user asks a question, not before
- There’s a step called “DONE”, which is a big deal, since maybe the reason why a lot of users dropped was simply because they didn’t know that they needed to confirm
- Maybe a more natural place to put suggested answers, which is before confirmation: “We have not posted your question yet. Perhaps one of these articles will help:”
Firefox Status Update
Firefox 13.0.1 is live and unthrottled. Here are the user facing changes:
- 747683 - Flash shutdown fix. Not to be confused with the many other Flash related issues.
- 736731 – Hotmail no longer auto-updates (due to "globalStorage" removal)
- 733614 – CSS 'height' property on a multi-column block is not respected
- 756850 – Some combinations of Hebrew vowels and consonants not displayed in certain fonts with harfbuzz
For any Flash 11.3 crashing issues, we are suggesting a downgrade to Flash 11.2. If the issue is that Flash 11.3 won't load or the screen is gray, black, white, etc. we are still suggesting the RealPlayer fix with a downgrade as a last resort.
- Please add your comments, questions and updates here.
Community communication: this is how we roll
- Dropping support for Fx 3.6 and 4
- Using an image for more than one OS is okay
- Priorities this week mainly revolve around preparing for Firefox 14 on desktop:
- Firefox 14 updates. These are due to be finished by Tuesday, June 19th.
- New summaries for top articles. Important to get done ASAP so they can be localized before the next release and because they will improve our search CTR.
- Review changes to top articles and mark them ready for localization.
- Once those things are done, work can resume on renaming, tagging and writing new summaries for the remaining articles. These are of lesser importance because they get far fewer views and can be marked ready for localization at any time.
- Beta7 is on Google Play; I think we'll have one more beta, but we are nearly there
- Goals are on track for the launch, L10n is looking good, thanks to all localizers for their hard work on mobile content for nativeUI
- Latest updates are just minor content updates for late-breaking issues (tabletUI blocked, master password and sync)
- Still working on updates from the helpfulness survey feedback (thanks to cww for the script)
- Anyone who wants to help, look for items marked [NativeUI] in this list of kb articles that need changes: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/contributors/need-changes
- Developing initial plan and scope for the basecamp project; reviewing with stakeholders
- This project is the first major release of b2g on a mobile device
- Next software milestone should include content that can be documented, for now we have wireframes
- Thunderbird 13.0.1 shipped last Friday June 15, 2012 with partner bug fixes and POP fixes. Will write a support report this week about release; details will be as always on the Thunderbird 13 Support Page