Update:Authors/Creating a Dictionary
This guide explains how to create and maintain a dictionary on addons.mozilla.org. Dictionaries created using this guide are compatible with Firefox 2, Thunderbird 2, SeaMonkey 1.1, and newer versions.
- First, you need to have the MySpell .aff and .dic files for your language dictionary. These can be under any open-source license, including GPL. You may find links to MySpell projects in your language on our dictionary list. If not, you should search for them and add them to the list.
- Feed these two files into Benjamin Smedberg's webtool for creating a dictionary extension. The "version" field should match up with release numbers for your localized dictionary if possible. If you are updating an existing dictionary, make sure that you use exactly the same language code and a higher version number than any previous release of your dictionary.
- The webtool should feed you a dictionary XPI.
- Go to the AMO Developer Control Panel and submit your dictionary to the Add-ons system. You must select Dictionary as the Add-on Type and select your XPI as the Add-on File. No other fields are used at the moment.
- Find your dictionary on the AMO dictionary page (Use the sandbox if your dictionary is not yet public). If the page shows the language code instead of the language name of your dictionary, you should file a bug asking for your language name to be added to AMO (You should be able to do this yourself in the future). Mark your bug as blocking bug 362461.