Websites/Affiliates/2014 development roadmap
< Websites | Affiliates
On the Roadmap
The following features are in priority order.
|Feature||Relative Effort||Notes/requirements||Specialties required|
|Update to latest Django/Playdoh||absolutely required||engineering|
|Remove old (non-Persona) authentication system||absolutely required||engineering|
|Update visual design||gigantic||match sandstone, improve site UI overall, add more callouts for contributors, such as "Don't see a banner in your language? Click here to find out how to add your language!", add more callouts on what it means to be a Mozillian and links to other contribution opportunities||UX, design, frontend engineering, backend engineering|
|Add text-only banners/links||medium||UX, design, frontend engineering, backend engineering|
|Improve the UX of the banner generation process||gigantic||Improve the button wizard, show users the most popular buttons||UX, design, frontend engineering, backend engineering|
|Add user profile page that includes leaderboard rank (clicks over time), website, the buttons they have posted||large||UX, design, frontend engineering, backend engineering|
|Improve the newsletter signup process||small||don't require users to be logged in, put signup in the footer||UX, frontend engineering, backend engineering|
|Add space for pre-localized promotions on the front page that change every few months||medium||content administrator can input localized strings in /admin||UX, frontend engineering, backend engineering|
|Track and display to users real Firefox downloads based on their links||uncertain, but large||UX, backend engineering, analytics|
|Track and display to users clicks to buy Firefox OS phones from their links||more uncertain, but large||UX, backend engineering, analytics|
|Add new graphs for showing a banner's performance.||uncertain, but gigantic|| Needs GA expert to help track:
||UX, backend engineering, analytics|
|Allow Marketplace to create Affiliate banners to point to specific apps.||large||We want people to be able to have banners that say, "download my app on the Fx Marketplace" and link to their app. So we'll have a place in affiliates to put the URL of an app to get a custom marketplace banner. And we'll work with the Marketplace team to deep-link people into that page and prepopulate the URL.||backend engineering, Marketplace SMEs|
In the Future
The following features are unlikely to be included in the first wave of work in 2014, but should be considered for future iterations.
- Expand leaderboard to show all users, allow filtering and show more information about users and countries
- Make the leaderboard public
- Add ability to generate banners without an account.
- Prompt for account creation right before saving the banner
- Make it possible to generate a report on specific button instances (see Student Ambassador program)
- Track what locale a user uses the site in.
- Notifications upon reaching milestones
- 100 clicks, 1000 clicks, 10,000 clicks, social sharing, competition between countries, leader notifications
- Award open badges with these milestones
- Ability to send badges to Backpack
- Ability to add badges to Mozillians profile/reflect that the user is a registered Mozillian
- Add a widget that users can embed on their website that shows their leaderboard rank.
- Award users with Marketplace credits
- Integration with Marketplace may not be available for redesign, so we will redesign to make integration in the future possible.
- Create a Banner generator that allows users and localizers to create and translate banners.
- V1 of this is a tool for us to build banners faster.
- V2 is for marketplace integration, with restricted functionality for app developers so they can build buttons to promote their app after authentication through marketplace
- Multiple moderators needed to approve buttons - add moderation functionality
- Make the code not suck
- Clear out the Facebook app? (Did we agree to this?)
- Feedback from the survey was evenly split on this. If we keep it, we need to optimize it better