What is it? -- Multiple team meetings, happening in the same city, at the same time + some opportunity to get together as one big group as well as with other teams as it makes sense. Then, on the last day, we have a fun social event for all, Mozilla-style!
The information on this wiki primarily applies to Full time and contractor staff. If you are a volunteer contributor or intern, please inquire to your coordinator.
- 1 Dates, Location and Weather
- 2 Registration
- 3 Week at a Glance
- 4 San Francisco All Hands Event Calendar
- 5 Food & Drink
- 6 Photos
- 7 Safety & Security
- 8 Hotel
- 9 Travel
- 10 Airport Shuttle
- 11 Accessibility
- 12 Immigration
- 13 San Francisco All Hands Expense Policy
- 14 Families/Guests in San Francisco
- 15 Extracurricular Activities
Dates, Location and Weather
Monday, June 11 - Friday, June 15, 2018 (travel days are Monday the 11th & Saturday the 16th) in San Francisco, CA.
We are staying at San Francisco Marriott Marquis.
*For those countries where rest time is required on weekends (vs. work travel), Mozilla will cover a return on the next available work day, if you choose. This needs to be pre-approved and pre-arranged.
- National Weather Service: forecast in ⁰C, forecast in ⁰F
- Temperatures in downtown San Francisco in late June are likely to have nighttime lows around 10-13 ⁰C / 50-56 ⁰F and daytime highs around 16-24 ⁰C / 61-75 ⁰F. But the weather is very occasionally warmer with highs around 27⁰C / 81⁰F.
- Weather in San Francisco in the summer is variable; it can become substantially cooler and foggier in the late afternoon; be prepared for temperatures to fall to 13⁰C / 56⁰F and the winds to pick up in the afternoon. Be prepared by carrying a warmer layer with you.
- Weather in other parts of the Bay Area can be much warmer than in San Francisco, even if you're only traveling 15km away. Look at the weather forecasts for where you're going. It's entirely possible for it to be 19⁰C / 66⁰F in San Francisco and simultaneously be 32⁰C / 90⁰F in Orinda. But if you're right on the ocean, the air temperature is likely to match the water temperature, which is probably around 12⁰C / 54⁰F.
This is an invitation-only event.
Advance registration is required. Attendees, guests and local guests will need to wear their event badge at all times, including to evening events.
We have a process to identify new hires each Monday and will invite them to book travel. No action necessary from managers other than to let them know about the event. Please work closely with your recruiting manager as they are aware of all deadlines.
Monday, May 7 is the deadline for hiring. Friday, May 11 is the deadline that all new hires who must travel to the all hands but be registered and have travel booked. Friday, May 18 is the deadline for Bay Area/local new hires who do not need hotel or to travel need to be registered. All new hires must start on or before May 29.
The process for this is outlined on this page.
All nominations will be done by employees, with a coordinator from each of the Firefox/Product, Emerging Technologies, Marketing, Open Innovation and People parts of the organization. There will be no open call for nominations from contributors or volunteer Mozillians.
Please note: The information on this wiki primarily applies to fulltime and contractor staff. If you have questions about how specifics apply to you, please email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Foundation has decided to host our own All Hands from June 12-15 in Toronto. Information about their All Hands will be available on the Mana soon.
Week at a Glance
Here is what the week looks like (subject to change)
Monday is primarily your travel day. You'll be able to pick up your registration stuff between 12:00 pm and 9:00 pm, as well as attend the Welcome Reception at the City View at Metreon from 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm.
We'll start Tuesday with a Plenary session, followed by various team meetings and Product/Tech Lightning Talk Sessions. The evening is open for dinner on your own or team dinners.
Wednesday is split between team time and Product/Tech Conference Sessions. The evening is open for dinner on your own or team dinners.
Thursday is team time. The evening is open for dinner on your own or team dinners.
Friday is team time. Our closing party with be at the Exploratorium from 7:00 pm- 11:00 pm. We'll provide transportation to/from the hotel & venue + if the weather is nice, you could walk (about 1.5 miles / 2.4 km, 30 minutes).
If you plan to go there directly on your own, self- parking options are:
- 1010 Front is across the street from the Exploratorium – 195 spots
- 50 Broadway is a block away – 200 spots
- 90 Broadway is 2 blocks away – 150 spots
- Pier 19.5 is a block away from the Exploratorium and is only open until 10pm
Departure day only. No scheduled activities, except optional breakfast.
San Francisco All Hands Event Calendar
The event has a password to access sessions. The password was provided in an email.
Don't see stuff for your org yet? Don't fret! The schedule changes regularly as meetings and events are confirmed. Keep checking back.
Create an account
We don’t recommend using the same email & password as anything like bank accounts, etc. We care about your security!
If you already have a Sched account from past All Hands, it still works, just log in with that.
Add items to your calendar
Select the circle on any agenda item to add it to your calendar (you do need to have an account & be logged in to do this)
You can also share a link to meetings to invite others. Go into the meeting and copy the short link. You can email that out to anyone and they can quickly add it to their calendar.
Subscribe to GCal Calendar Link
Click on the mobile phone on the right hand side of the screen. All the calendar options are available here. You have the option to choose ALL meetings or YOUR meetings. Unless you have 400 items on your calendar, just select your calendar. It will add anything on your calendar to your GCal (also an option for Outlook and iCal). It syncs once per day.
The "only syncs once per day" only applies to Google Calendar. With almost all other clients (like Apple Calendar, Outlook, or the calendar app on your phone) you can set the refresh interval, and Sched's instructions recommend 1 hour.
Warning: This is a link that utilizes your username for the .ics file.
Visit from any mobile device - bookmark or add to your homescreen for quick access. There is a bonus icon you get by doing this. It caches the last time you opened the page offline and refreshes anytime you are connected.
We have filtering functionality. You can filter by: Departments (ex: Product Org) AND Functional Teams (ex: Firefox Addons)
- Search by Room, Speaker/Leader
- Audience - who should be there (ex: Team only or Invite)
- Homerooms (you can quickly see what is happening in homerooms, by team) - why do you care? If you have a cross team meeting in their room, its a quick way to search
- Views - Lots of view options. It defaults to the simple view, but there are quite a few options.
Food & Drink
Breakfast, lunch & snacks will be provided and paid for centrally for attendees. Breakfast is provided Tuesday - Saturday and lunch is provided Tuesday - Friday.
Allergies/preferences: We will ensure that all food/environmental allergies are taken into consideration and will always have gluten-free and vegan options. If you have severe allergies that we need to know about; you can indicate in registration.
We will provide dinner at the Welcome Reception from 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm at City View by Meteron at the Welcome Reception. Since most of Monday is a travel day, you'll be on your own for meals except dinner.
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday Nights
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings will be of your own to structure as you wish. Given how much you all seemed to like a more flexible dining experience, these three evenings will be of your own to structure as you wish.
Here is how this will work:
For each of these three evenings, once your meetings have concluded, you and your team, friends, new acquaintances, are free to explore San Francisco and to find somewhere great to eat that suits you. Each of you can expense a total of $180 over the three days (or $60/night).
This amount includes:
- Meal cost, including tax & gratuity
- Any beverages
- Transportation to/from the restaurant
- Conversion fees (for credit cards) or cash withdrawal fees
Anything over the $180 for the three evenings will be your own expense. The fine print:
- If your team is hosting an evening event 1 of the 3 nights and the payment is coordinated (meaning, you don’t have to open your wallet and pay), you can expense up to $120 for the other 2 nights ($60 for each of the 2 nights you did have to open your wallet and pay).
- You will be asked (later) to submit a San Francisco only expense report. You can submit ONE report for San Francisco only and must be submitted no later than August 31, 2018.
- If your manager approves expenses above the $60 per night, that expense will go directly to your travel budget in your cost center.
Volunteer Contributors & Interns will have a separate process that will be communicated directly.
We will provide dinner at the Closing Party from 7:00 pm - 11:00 pm at The Exploratorium.
What you need
Your SF All Hands name badge and Identification (you may be carded for alcohol).
If you see someone with a red lanyard, please don't take photos of them. They have opted out of being in photography. We'll have these available at the registration desk.
Safety & Security
While in the Mozilla meeting spaces, a name badge is required.
When you leave the hotel, you should remove your badge. Pickpocketers have been known to target people wear conference badges in the neighborhood we are in.
You'll need to have your badge on at all times in the hotel, as will your partners, vendors and family members anytime they are in the spaces.
If you are traveling to the San Francisco All Hands with a device that has Mozilla data (laptop, personal cell phone/tablet with @mozilla gmail, etc) on it and your device has been retained for further inspection by border agents, or if your device has been inspected outside your immediate presence - and you believe your credentials have been compromised - you must notify the Enterprise Information Security team as soon as possible at email@example.com or by calling Mozilla End User Services at +1 650-963-8811. (This number will be staffed 24x7)
We will work with you to reset your credentials and help you get your device back to a known good state either by getting you a new one (if it’s been taken), or by resetting it back to a verifiable Mozilla-approved installation.
SF Travel team also has some tips about safety in the city, including safety numbers and local hospitals.
Hotel rooms are reserved for all employees & volunteers to stay all week, including employees based in San Francisco (just as if we were somewhere you don't live). We are hopeful Mozilla-locals will stay with the rest of us in the hotel - it's really part of what makes these events great. You will have the option to opt out of hotel in registration if you are local to the Bay Area and wish to commute.
The Marriott has processed reservations for staff, contractors and interns. Confirmation emails were sent from: Marriott Hotels & Resorts Reservations <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
If you do not receive a hotel confirmation email by May 18th, please email email@example.com (after checking your spam collector). If you registered after April 27, your confirmation may arrive later.
Reservations for volunteers are still pending and confirmation emails have not been sent.
A few things to note:
- If you have any changes or questions about your reservation, email firstname.lastname@example.org. The hotel cannot make changes to All Hands reservations (other than to add your guests - see #3) so we’d like very much if you didn’t try (it complicates things).
- If you have guests joining you for all or part of the week, you will be responsible for adding them to your reservation (and covering any additional fees). To do this, please send an email to Daniel Arenas, Daniel.Arenas@marriott.com titled “Mozilla June 11-16, 2018 – (Request)” and include your confirmation number(s), and a list of names & ages of each additional guest.
- Volunteers, summer interns and outreachy interns will be sharing rooms.
Payment on Check-in
Everyone will be required to present a form of payment on check-in for incidentals at $50 per day. This is a US hotel standard and we aren't able to waive it (we tried).
We recommend providing a credit card. You can provide a debit card, but they do put a hold of funds on your card and has been problematic for some international travelers in the past. If you are not able to provide a credit or debit card, email email@example.com and we'll work with the hotel on accommodating.
Links were provided when you are invited to register in April to book hotel 3 days pre and 3 days post at our negotiated rate. The pre/post reservations require the use of an LDAP email so we can link them to your All Hands reservation. Rooms booked by any method except this link will not be linked to your main reservation.
Rates start $179+tax/fees & for double occupancy.
Self-Parking is available at several lots nearby. The Marriott Marquis offers valet only - please do not park valet. Mozilla will not reimburse for parking, plan to commute the way you normally would in the city. If you have questions about parking, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Booking travel is now open. Please book itineraries by Friday, April 13, 2018.
Arriving Early/Departing Late Guidelines
Our standard travel guidelines apply (pre-populated in Egencia) when booking with a few additional budget constraints. Anything booked outside of them will require approval. Most people will arrive on Monday, June 11 and leave on Saturday, June 16. Here are some exceptions:
- If you live in a country where work travel is prohibited on weekends, you may travel on Friday, June 8 and Monday, June 18, if you’d prefer (not required). For hotel, you will book and pay on your own, and expense the manager approved amount (which is coded to your cost center).
- If you plan to spend some extra personal time in San Francisco (choosing to arrive before Monday, June 11 or depart after Saturday, June 16), you'll need to create an itinerary in Egencia for standard dates/locations within the San Francisco June 2018 Portal and compare to the custom dates you'd like. Please share the difference via email to email@example.com before submitting the flight. You can sway up to +$100 over and Mozilla will cover it. Otherwise you'll need to come with an alternate itinerary that fits within the pricing (like a round trip in and out of SFO w/ longer dates, and you personally book & cover the rest). We do not have the ability for employees to reimburse Mozilla for any overage.
- If you are attending the Monday Core Influencer's event (by invite).
- If you would like to arrive early to recover from jetlag, you will need manager approval for any additional costs associated with the extension. There is no unilateral "All Hands" approval based upon timezone to arrive early. For hotel, you will book and pay on your own, and expense the manager approved amount (which is coded to your cost center).
Booking Family Travel
Once travel has opened to staff, you may book family, whether they will accompany you on your flight or join us later; and you have two options: Direct or through Egencia.
If you choose to book family through Egencia, please first book your own flight and then call Egencia with your airline confirmation number (staff do have to go through Egencia). Otherwise, you can book family direct (either through the airline or through another third party) and call the ticketing airline(s) with both confirmation numbers and ask them to link your reservations, so they know you are traveling together. They should also be able to assign seats together. You will avoid the limited hours Egencia offers and avoid paying their ticketing fee.
If you prefer to book your family through Egencia, you can pay (including the Egencia booking fees) and coordinate with your own travel (recommend to book and then call/email Egencia with your itinerary number to match for family). Note that booking through Egencia does not put you on the same reservation, nor guarantee the reservations will be linked (you would still need to call the airline to link them).
Volunteers, summer interns and outreachy interns will be sharing rooms and are unable to invite family to join them.
- Call: +1 (877) 264-1622 or +1 (417) 521-0273; Monday - Friday 9 am - 6 pm EST. If you call outside these hours, you will get an after hours agent, who may not be as helpful.
Mozilla provides emergency medical accident and illness cover for all global MoCo employees/interns and their dependents. You can view more information on Mana. This coverage begins at the time the you leave home to start your business trip. It also has a provision for a 14 day extension for leisure travel outside of the business travel. If you have additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mozilla does not cover travel insurance for elancers, upworkers, contractors, vendors, or volunteers/community members.
Air Travel Fine Print
Change fees will be covered by Mozilla for business reasons only. If you need a change and have manager approval, email email@example.com prior to requesting the change with Egencia. Once you have approval, call Egencia to make the change at +1 (702) 939-2530 or +1-877-264-1622 (note this will not be possible without prior approval so be sure to get that by way of an email from your manager to Brianna Mark). If you are changing for personal reasons, the change in airfare, change fee and Egencia fee is your responsibility.
Mozilla will not reimburse for Business/First class upgrades or tickets.
Any submitted expenses needs to have an itinerary attached to ensure it is employee expenses only and within policy.
All Mozillians and guests who have flights arriving anytime on Monday, June 11th in San Francisco International Airport (SFO) and out on Saturday, June 16th, will be transferred to the hotel. If you arrive into another airport (OAK or SJC) or on a different date, ground transportation is on your own.
Arrivals to San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
The airport has four terminals: Terminal 1, 2 & 3, and the International Terminal. For domestic flights In Terminals 1, 2 & 3 and the International Terminal (there are domestic flights), everyone will be greeted at the bottom of the escalator in the baggage claim for your terminal (even if you have no checked bags). Please identify yourself to the greeter and they will direct you to the shuttles for your terminal.
For International Flights into the International terminal, you will collect your luggage and pass through customs. Once through customs, you will walk directly out to the main lobby, where you’ll find a greeter and they will direct your to your shuttle.
Transfer time from the airport to the hotel is approximately 40-60 minutes.
Departures from San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
Everyone departing on Saturday, June 16th, will receive transportation to SFO. You will be met by transportation staff in the Marriott hotel lobby and assisted onto the shuttles.
If you have questions about arrivals or departures, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternate Transportation Options
For those arriving or departing on dates other than June 11 and 16.
- BART goes from SFO to the Powell Street Station for $8.95. Tickets can be purchased at the airport or in advance.
- SamTrans bus Route 292 goes from SFO to Mission St. & 5th St. only for $2.25 (inbound) or $4 (outbound).
- Super Shuttle. Shared shuttle service. Book in advance.
Other options can be found on the SFO website.
Mountain View Office Shuttle
We will provide a shuttle from the Mountain View office on Monday, June 11th (1:00 pm and 3:00 pm). They will depart from the main entrance. We will return to Mountain View on Saturday, June 16 (10:00 am and 11:30 am). Hotel Check in is 4:00 pm, Check out is 11:00 am. To sign up for the shuttle, please go here by May 25: .
You can get dropped off or park at the office until 10:00 pm Sunday, June 17. There will be normal security patrols however, you should remove valuables from view and secure your vehicle.
From the Bay Area but not taking the Mountain View Office Shuttle?
Our expectation is that you commute to the hotel just as you would to the office in the Bay Area. If you normally take the BART or MUNI, do that. If you normally drive and pay for parking - that's up to you but hotel parking is not a reimbursable expense for the All Hands.
The guestroom tower has accessible elevators, and accessible rooms (on request). The main entrance and pathway to hotel registration are accessible. All meeting space can be access via elevators.
The Monday Night reception is at City View, which is located on the 4th floor of the METREON and is accessible from the ground floor via 2 passenger elevators and escalators. There is ADA access from all building entrances as well.. The Friday Night Party is at Exploratorium, which has access to all levels by elevator.
Any questions on immigration should be sent to email@example.com.
If you are from a country that requires a B-1/B-2 business visitor visa to enter the US, please plan for it early as government processing times constantly change.
Please visit the following website to learn more about the visa application process and timing for your country: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visitor.html#overview. Current estimated processing times at the US Embassies and Consulates abroad can be found at: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/wait-times.html/
Some travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without first applying for a B-1/B-2 visa, if they are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP or "ESTA"). You are eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) if you:
- Intend to enter the United States for 90 days or less for business, pleasure or transit
- Have a valid passport lawfully issued to you by a Visa Waiver Program country: http://www.esta.us/visa_waiver_countries.html
- Have authorization to travel via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/
- Arrive via a Visa Waiver Program signatory carrier (all commercial airlines meet this requirement)
- Have a return or onward ticket
- Travel may not terminate in contiguous territory or adjacent islands unless the traveler is a resident of one of those areas
Employee Travel FAQ
This FAQ addresses questions about how to handle security concerns and electronic devices at the border and how to engage with US Customs & Border Protection (CBP). While it specifically focuses on concerns related to travel to the United States, much of this guidance is applicable to travel elsewhere. Mana access required.
A pocket letter is recommended to keep on hand for those who are entering the United States. It should accompany you whether or not you are required to have a visa to enter. You may request a copy of that letter when you register online. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require a specific letter for your visa application or if you have any questions regarding your citizenship, visa capabilities or travel related questions.
ESTA Point of Contact
In the ESTA application you need to give a "U.S. Point of Contact Information".
Please list Casey McGill as your US Point of Contact. Address: 331 East Evelyn Avenue, Mountain View, CA 94041 Phone: 918-812-0971
San Francisco All Hands Expense Policy
1. All "All Hands" Expenses must be submitted on 1 (and only 1) Expense report (e.g. San Francisco All Hands Expense Report)
2. It must contain only those expenses relative to the All Hands Event (5-10 days of pre-post activity only)
3. If your submitted expense report for All Hands is submitted outside these guidelines, it will be rejected and you will be asked to re-submit with only All Hands Expenses
4. The deadline to submit the San Francisco All Hands Expense Report is July 31, 2018.
5. Expenses related to team events, parking, room service, mini-bar charges, and food/drink costs above the vouched amounts, will not be approved.
The intention of our all hands are to centrally organize a structure that includes:
- Meals (two/day + snacks)
- Some number of social events
Due to the nature of the San Francisco, employees will be expensing specific meals. The amount that can be expensed will be communicated and expenses submitted can not exceed the approved amounts. Any social events that are not part of our central plan will generally be self-organized and funded by participants.
^Transportation for those based in the Bay Area is limited to "commuting" as you normally would. Expenses for commuting are not reimbursable. We have provided shuttles from the MV office for those based in the south bay. For those who that doesn't make sense to use, commute using your normal means. We will not reimburse for hotel parking.
Cell phone reimbursement policy
Cell phone reimbursement must be approved by your manager prior to submitting the expense. Teams will decide for their staff what is appropriate to expense.
Internet reimbursement policy
Internet will be provided in all guestrooms and meeting space in all hotels. If you opt to upgrade/add service, those costs are not reimbursable, unless previously approved by your manager and are for business reasons.
If you have questions about any of this, please reach out to email@example.com
Families/Guests in San Francisco
Of course our focus, for the majority of the week, will be on Mozilla. Everyone is expected to be present and engaged each day, during work hours (as your schedule dictates). Please do what you can to make sure your loved ones understand the kind of commitment you’ve made. Family should not join you during your work sessions and meals. Please note that what we are able to do for families varies by each location.
Volunteers, summer interns and outreachy interns will be sharing rooms and are unable to invite family to join them.
Quick summary logistics
Air Travel: Family travel can be booked/coordinated through Egencia by calling direct; or on your own. Employees do need to book via Egencia regardless of how families are booked.
Hotel: They are welcome to stay with you, however, any additional room expenses will be yours to cover. All room rates are based upon single occupancy and costs to add guests vary by hotel. Breakfast is not included in any of the guest room rates. Once hotel reservations are made, we will provide a link or contact add guests.
Meals: Breakfast will be provided to All Hands registered guests, for lunch families are on their own. They are invited to join our Monday & Friday evening festivities, we just ask that you let us know they'll be there in registration.
Costs for these activities are self-funded and can not be expensed. Feel free to add activities and invite others.