Firefox/Input/Reduce Contributor Pain
Reduce Contributor Pain
Since inception, Fjord suffers from a hacking howto that involves steps that are non-trivial and require a certain kind of system and a certain level of experience to execute. This causes two problems:
- it's sufficiently hard to set up a development environment that it's definitely a significant barrier to entry for new people
- it's sufficiently hard to set up a clean development environment which would help track down some kinds of bugs
The second is a pain point for me (a core dev). The first is a big pain point for anyone who is interested in Fjord/Input development and thus a big pain point in gaining new contributors to this project.
This project covers the first pass for reducing the pain for setting up and running a development environment.
- Project owner: Will Kahn-Greene
- Status: v1 complete
- June 17th, 2014: Created bug for Vagrantifying Fjord based on the work Erik Rose did with DXR
- July 23rd, 2014: Wrote tracker bug for tracking all the related bugs and wrote up project plan so we have a clear specification for scope and mission
- vagrant up for building a fresh development environment
- updated documentation that's easy to follow, clear and spells out the steps for typical development environment maintenance tasks
- for now, we're not going to generate new VMs via jenkins when tests run--this system will be relatively static
Tracker bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1042669
|987801||implement peep-installed requirements.txt file for dependencies||P3||RESOLVED|
|1040862||Vagrant environment locale not properly specified||--||RESOLVED|
|1042167||test "getting started" instructions on Windows||--||RESOLVED|
|1042222||update Vagrantfile to use 14.04 LTS||--||RESOLVED|
|1042560||After upgrading guest additions in the dev VM, many packages become 'autoremove'able' but are not removed||--||RESOLVED|
6 Total; 0 Open (0%); 6 Resolved (100%); 0 Verified (0%);
Unknown. We'll figure them out when we're done with v1 and have a new list of problems and sore spots.