- Developing the core of Firefox OS is too hard
- Gaia does not have a supported development environment
- Contributor first-time experience is poor
- Navigating the dev->test->review process is too hard for contributors
- Vibrant and engaged development community, invested in the success of Firefox OS
- Clear and managed developer pathway for new contributors
- Supported and clearly documented development environment for Gaia
- An F5-style developer workflow for Gaia
- Tight Feedback loop from Contributors to core developers so we can continually improve our pathways
- Improving Gecko contribution pathways
- Improving Gonk contribution pathways
Phase 0 (complete in August 2015)
Start hiring process for a dedicated community manager for fxos code contributions.STATUS: Asked Faramarz about headcount, no commitment to hiring at this time.
Form team of Gaia engineers who will spend dedicated time on this project.STATUS: Gregor/mhenretty discussing with mobile managers, got the peoples. Next steps: down below, get them tooled up and on-call schedule.
MDN document review: Ensure existing docs are correct.STATUS: Gaia team to did a first-pass on the main contribution docs. Existing docs are good, even the architecture bits.
Start regular triage of UX items to unblock and open up design issuesSTATUS: Tif is doing weekly triage sessions w/ the UX team, Dietrich is joining.
Begin discussion about Gaia dev environmentSTATUS: owned by the Jonas Task Force
Design a plan for re-opening Github issuesSTATUS: Ongoing, moving to Phase 1 for completion. See below.
Design a Flame-for-patches-landed programSTATUS: Not as many Flames as first thought. Instead, going to give out at events, identified contributors. dietrich posted to b2g-internal and we now have a large number of Flames shipping out to contributors.
- Create Gaia contribution pathway page: Single page with sequential steps from zero to patch-landed. STATUS: Dietrich started outline, solicited input from Gaia team. Working with MDN to get collapsible content areas added to the site. Once that's working, can fill it in.
- Identify automate-able contributor activity monitoring. STATUS: not done, next on dietrich's list
- Identify developer papercuts
- Get feedback from existing contributors (arroway)
- Next steps: Fold into plan - TODO: arroway - will define the main action points from the feedback we received
Merge dev-gaia and dev-b2g mailing lists into(mhenretty)
Merge #gaia and #b2g IRC channels(mhenretty)
Figure out how to get more developer devices into people's hands- Foxfooding team owns this (Jean Gong)
- Consensus on a desktop development environment - TODO: needs owner
- Design a double-click+F5 workflow - TODO: needs owner
- STATUS: not started. some existing recent discussion on dev-gaia. need to put Gaia team stakeholders together to draft a plan, then push out to dev-gaia for feedback
- Regular schedule for on-duty for IRC/lists by community team - TODO: needs owner
- Identify and expand other active contribution areas and begin monitoring - StackOverflow, Reddit, XDA-Developers, etc
- All apps have style, contribution and developer workflow info in their README files
- Update the Contribute page on mozilla.org/contribute to point to the right links
- Update the wiki to include entry points
- Right now, has no info about mailing lists, IRC channels and meeting info.
- Release strongly-supported desktop development environment
- Release a double-click+F5 workflow
- Bugzilla-less development flow through Github issues
- Expand Stackbot to cover more than just StackOverflow, for automated monitoring and notifying on more contributor activity
- XDA Developers?
- Design a plan for re-opening Github issues. STATUS: In progress, owned by mhenretty; https://etherpad.mozilla.org/reopen-github-issues.
- dev-gaia thread: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.gaia/T2OzUqG4Ri8/e8b4PwzUDAAJ
- Feedback mixed. Conclusion is we need to have better MDN landing page, Gaia README, and Mulet everywhere first.
- http://areweeveryoneyet.org/ for...
- total numbers of staff vs non-staff code contributors
- patches from staff vs non-staff code contributors
- http://areweeveryoneyet.org/ for...
- Developer Support
- Numbers of answered SO posts
- Maybe num visits to the contribution pages?
- Visits to assets
TODO: Add all this to main B2G wiki page (where else?)
- Product direction/vision
- UX Specs
- Where to submit requests/ideas
- Product development
- All dev docs
- All communication points
- Where can I find something to work on, or figure out if what I want to work on will be accepted
- Release management/status
- What release are we on, what's next
- Where can I get a build, and for what device
- Where can I submit bugs
- How can I manage my builds (backup, restore, OTA)
- Integration tests are broken, cannot run - need to verify
- Building on Mac OS X is maybe broken, unclear - need to verify
- Gregor suggested making videos for ‘My first FxOS app’, ‘My first FxOS add-on’ or ‘My development workflow', after seeing Reza's deck. We should publish through Hacks Youtube channel.
Existing docs and workflows
- Desktop tools should work with double-click-to-open, not only command line pointer to profile
- Case-sensitive filesystem - container for solution?
- Mac build env broken - work with releng to add a build test to catch that regressing?
- Experience: Web developer
- Experience: C, C++, build tooling
- Device Porting
- Experience: C, C++, Android dev, build tooling