About:apps began as a desire to be able to type "about:apps" in the awesomebar and go to a page similar to about:addons. This was to be released in FF35 to coincide with a push for desktop apps, and about:apps would show a page that highlighted a curated collection of desktop apps with some promotional content (like newsletter signup, etc).
- Build an engaging portal in the Firefox desktop browser for users to interact with the Firefox Apps ecosystem
- Provide more “eyeballs” for long-tail devs and content partners
- Communicate to users that their desktop apps experience is part of a larger app ecosystem
- Communicate with developers about this new desktop channel for their apps
- Support integration with other Firefox services where appropriate (e.g., FF accounts)
- Release 1 wireframes [add release date here]
- Release 2 wireframes [add release date here]
- Release 1 design
The final implementation was to link to this page from FF35+ Tools->Apps (and an Apps link in the customizable hamburger menu).
The target URL is http://marketplace.firefox.com/discovery. That URL now redirects to the marketplace itself, so a page could be placed at that URL again in the future.