Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-07-01 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Need To Know
- 2 Quality Programs
- 3 Team Stand-ups
- 3.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 3.2 App Tools (prouget)
- 3.3 B2G Services (dougt)
- 3.4 Cloud Services (mmayo)
- 3.5 Developer Tools (robcee)
- 3.6 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 3.7 Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- 3.8 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 3.9 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 3.10 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 3.11 Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- 3.12 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 3.13 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 3.14 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 3.15 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 3.16 Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- 3.17 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 3.18 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 3.19 GFX (milan)
- 3.20 Identity (jedp)
- 3.21 JS (naveed)
- 3.22 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 3.23 Media (mreavy)
- 3.24 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 3.25 Performance (vladan)
- 3.26 Seceng (grobinson)
- 3.27 Shumway (tschneidereit)
- 3.28 WebAPI (overholt)
- 4 Roundtable
- 5 <Read only beyond this point>
Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
|Next Merge: November 16, 2020||Next Release: November 17, 2020|
|Central: 84||Aurora: 54||Beta: 83||Release: 82.0|
- 31b6 build 2 built on both Desktop & Mobile (build 1 canceled because of some tests failing)
- Both should be live today
- OMTC disabled in aurora but 3-30% regressions! Bug 1032831
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- No update.
- Overall numbers are still off mostly due to 3rd-party issues on desktop (bug 1023239, bug 988549, bug 883134).
- Aurora had a huge crash spike (bug 1031697) over the weekend: bug 1013587 was uplifted without its prerequisite bug 1013638. Another Sunday nightly build for Aurora was triggered after the backout to get people off the crashy builds as fast as possible.
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
App Tools (prouget)
B2G Services (dougt)
Cloud Services (mmayo)
Developer Tools (robcee)
- WebIDL bindings infrastructure now largely done. 2 1/2 years in the making, lots of details to get right in lots of corners. Big shout out to the team who worked on this, including peterv, bz, khuey, bholley, mccr8, and efaust. Also a big shout out to the numerous people who helped convert code from using XPConnect to WebIDL, including dz, Ms2ger, ehsan, baku, bjacob, tbsaunde, and many many more (too many to name here).
- Old XPIDL based event generator is dead (bug 1031051). Everything is migrated to WebIDL.
- ServiceWorkers! Lots abuzz here, a few hackers met to hack on ServiceWorkers in SF last week. See  for details.
Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- Various bug fixes but the big e10s feature this week is the Password Manager for e10s: bug 949617
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- Gonzales project is now known as Janus
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- Device porting (Gonk team)
- Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
- Bluetooth in-house certification test has been done by Taipei QA team. All found bugs have been resolved by BT team except one Gaia issue. (See meta bug 1022503, bug 1022504)
- WebBluetooth API was moved from 2.1 to 2.2 according to the result of 2.1 feature sign-off meeting. BT team will continue working on new API implementation.
- Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
- bug 941302 - PlatformDecoderModule for FirefoxOS/B2G (2.1 feature+)
- Video is working now. Audio isn't working but already found the root cause.
- bug 1017438 - A short period of sound at the end of a song would be cut off too early (1.4+, landed)
- bug 1017421 - Preview of custom ringtones cannot be stopped. (2.0+, analyzed by Bruce and solved by Jim)
- bug 941302 - PlatformDecoderModule for FirefoxOS/B2G (2.1 feature+)
- Device Storage & Stability (members: Alphan Chen)
- bug 1029403 - Followup to Mount/Unmount API (2.1 feature+)
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- bug 1016184 - [Touch Caret] Enable touch caret on B2G
- bug 959118 - [LayerScope] Combine layer dump and layer scope
- bug 987040 - Implement mozbrowserSelection
- bug 987529 - Implement Vsync dispatch pipeline
- bug 814524 - Make WebGLContext::TexImage2D avoid readback for video elements
- bug 1000722 - Many B2G reftests fail after enabling OOP, because partial drawWindow calls are drawing too small an area
Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- bug 1010252 - [Wi-Fi] Problems re-connecting to a known Wi-Fi network.
- bug 1027478 - Modify telephony API from dialEmergency(number, serviceId) to dialEmergency.
- bug 1024747 - CDMA MO MMS still not working as phone number is not correctly retrieved from iccInfo.
- bug 1023141 - ril.ecclist is an empty string after boot-up.
- bug 1021006 - [RTSP][2.0] Browser pops up a network warning message in the end of video RTSP streaming.
- bug 1003711 - [RTSP] Build Darwin Streaming Server on B2G emulator.
- bug 1020212 - Wifi can't access keystore in gecko on Flame.
- bug 1028044 - WPA-EAP TTLS-MSCHAPv2 Compatibility issue.
- bug 1022460 - Enable wifi tethering on emulator.
- bug 1008797 - Test case for bug 993598.
- bug 1011358 - In the Mountain View QA lab, master on Hamachi/Flame often fails to find the "ateam" SSID.
- bug 1028037 - NFC testcase failure with error message "Accessing TypedArray data over Xrays is slow
- bug 1017485 - [Follow up of Bug 984207] Define timing to enable/disable P2p mode
- bug 933588 - B2G NFC: Rewrite NFC Worker in C++
- bug 813893 - B2G RIL: support UMTS CBS Message
- bug 843452 - B2G RIL: use ipdl as IPC in MozMobileConnection
- bug 1010356 - Network location provider should try to send neighboring cell data
- bug 1027430 - Add EF_SPN to Navigator.mozMobileConnections and ensure it's accessible from a non-certified app
- bug 859764 - WebSMS: move to MozMobileMessage WebIDL
- Provide WebNFC API v2 draft proposal
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- Q2 Layout Goals Status Updated: Platform/2014-Q2-Goals#Layout
- About to land (bug 354493): will no longer allow pages loaded from public IPs to access local (192.169.*.*, etc) address ranges (to prevent evil.com from scanning your intranet). Let us know if this causes you grief.
- We recently started timing out HTTP connections that take >5 minutes without a reply. This breaks some "classic web applications" (euphemism): we're backing it out in bug 1024015.
- Fixed some issues with using https connections to HTTP proxy (bug 1029163)
No update this week
- bug 925004: New C++ CSP backend is now active on nightly. If you use CSP, please file any regression bugs you find on Core/DOM:Security.
- bug 1029781: enabled safebrowsing classification for image loads, may increase phishing/malware coverage and could have performance implications, watch http://people.mozilla.org/~mchew/safebrowsing_dashboard/ to see
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
dveditz: blassey: why "janus"? blassey: roman god of time, space and safe passage blassey: why the change? apparently Speedy Gonzales is not considered to be culturally sensitive ... Mossop: Some webapps use [HTTP requests waiting longer than 5 minutes] as a push notification. Make an XHR request to your server, when it wants to tell the client something it responds