Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-06-24 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Need To Know
- 2 Quality Programs
- 3 Team Stand-ups
- 3.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 3.2 App Tools (prouget)
- 3.3 B2G Services (dougt)
- 3.4 Cloud Services (mmayo)
- 3.5 Developer Tools (robcee)
- 3.6 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 3.7 Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- 3.8 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 3.9 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 3.10 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 3.11 Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- 3.12 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 3.13 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 3.14 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 3.15 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 3.16 Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- 3.17 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 3.18 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 3.19 GFX (milan)
- 3.20 Identity (jedp)
- 3.21 JS (naveed)
- 3.22 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 3.23 Media (mreavy)
- 3.24 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 3.25 Performance (vladan)
- 3.26 Seceng (grobinson)
- 3.27 Shumway (tschneidereit)
- 3.28 WebAPI (overholt)
- 4 Roundtable
- 5 <Read only beyond this point>
Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
|Next Merge: April 6, 2020||Next Release: April 7, 2020|
|Central: 76||Aurora: 54||Beta: 75||Release: 74.0|
- Desktop beta3 build didn't ship because of a Windows PGO build timeout
- Desktop beta4 will be live today
- Mobile beta4 will be live tomorrow
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
- Have switched our Amazon instances to use SSD backed EBS volumes. The goal is further cost reduction in AWS since we used to pay quite a bit for I/O on the old EBS volumes, but I/O on the new SSD volumes is free. We may see some slight performance wins as well.
- bug 1028341, bug 1027390
- Please let us know if you see some bustage that could be due to this!
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 9.67 (Previous Week: 7.36).
- 25 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- Thanks to JW Wang for continuing to plug away at various media oranges, including some very longstanding ones.
- Andrew McCreight LSan for Mochitests on TBPL. LSan is a tool that can find leaks in C++ code, and it's already found lots -- see the blocking bugs in the tracking bug. Great stuff! Please help with fixing the existing leaks whose reporting has been suppressed in order to get this landed.
- current numbers still do not look good, except Android release.
- Still looking for older Intel integrated graphics machine to reproduce bug 988549 which continues to be high on 31 beta.
- OMTC on Windows still too unstable, needs deactivation (sorry).
- Android beta: bug 827264 (NSS shutdown) - needs nsSocketTransportService dev
- Android Nightly: bug 1028802 (mozilla::gfx::AlphaBoxBlur::Blur) - needs dev
- Desktop Nightly: bug 1028902 (js::GetLengthProperty), bug 1028904 (js::StringObject::setStringThis), probably connected, need dev
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
App Tools (prouget)
- WebIDE has landed: blog post + screencast: https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/06/webide-lands-in-nightly/
B2G Services (dougt)
Cloud Services (mmayo)
Developer Tools (robcee)
Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- bug 988133 - view-source no longer crashes
- bug 989501 - Popup windows now open new window, not new tab
- bug 990729 - Add-on compartments for addon XUL code and components/modules
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- Search efforts:
- We'll be launching an experiment on beta to measure effect of changing default search provider in the next two weeks
- We're tackling the first part of a broader effort to address search hijacking: bug 1029148
- Translation trial update: launching trial in German Aurora 32 builds in the near future
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
Work In Progress
- Intent-driven distribution selection and download for partners (1013024)
- bug 1012720 Fix deleting prototype getters in Fennec code
- Folks looking into several things for Gonzales (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Gonzales)
- Integrating Search Activity into m-c bug 1021864
- bug 1014848 - Improve interactions for "toolbar" (activating/deactivating awesome bar)
- bug 1014335 - Make "Pull to Refresh" in Synced Tabs and Home Panels feel excellent.
You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]
- Add ability to close all tabs (Bug 817716)
- crash in gfxContext::gfxContext(mozilla::gfx::DrawTarget*) (Bug 952721)
- crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.toolbar.ToolbarDisplayLayout.updateFromTab(ToolbarDisplayLayout.java) (Bug 964861)
- List recently closed tabs in the UI (Bug 1004850)
- Video controls are displayed in the middle of the video (Bug 1005031)
- Some locale names not displayable in locale picker with default fonts (Bug 1023451)
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- Device porting (Gonk team)
- Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
- Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
- Issues solving and analysis
- bug 1017438 - A short period of sound at the end of a song would be cut off too early (1.4+, patch for 1.4 is ready)
- bug 1000522 - [B2G]Video cannot be played more than 3-5 times in the row, gets stuck and requires app restart (2.0+, POVB now)
- bug 1017421 - Preview of custom ringtones cannot be stopped. (2.0+, found the root cause)
- Partner training this Friday(6/27, Bruce Sun)
- Issues solving and analysis
- Device Storage & Stability (members: Alphan Chen)
- bug 855952 - DeviceStorage API: File append (landed)
- Had a MTP kickoff meeting with Hema's team. Alphan will work with Dave Hylands and David Flanagan to make MTP enabled by FxOS 2.1.
- Partner training this Friday(6/27, Alphan Chen)
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- bug 1012936 - WebRTC audio on Flame broken up in calls
- bug 1016184 - [Touch Caret] Enable touch caret on B2G
- bug 959118 - [LayerScope] Combine layer dump and layer scope
- bug 846421 - Support snapshot for nested remote mozbrowser content
- bug 987529 - Implement Vsync dispatch pipeline
- bug 814524 - Make WebGLContext::TexImage2D avoid readback for video elements
- bug 1000722 - Many B2G reftests fail after enabling OOP, because partial drawWindow calls are drawing too small an area
Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- bug 1010252 - [Wi-Fi] Problems re-connecting to a known Wi-Fi network.
- bug 1027478 - Modify telephony API from dialEmergency(number, serviceId) to dialEmergency.
- bug 1024747 - CDMA MO MMS still not working as phone number is not correctly retrieved from iccInfo.
- bug 1023141 - ril.ecclist is an empty string after boot-up.
- bug 1021006 - [RTSP][2.0] Browser pops up a network warning message in the end of video RTSP streaming.
- bug 1003711 - [RTSP] Build Darwin Streaming Server on B2G emulator.
- bug 1020212 - Wifi can't access keystore in gecko on Flame.
- bug 1028044 - WPA-EAP TTLS-MSCHAPv2 Compatibility issue.
- bug 1022460 - Enable wifi tethering on emulator.
- bug 1008797 - Test case for bug 993598.
- bug 1011358 - In the Mountain View QA lab, master on Hamachi/Flame often fails to find the "ateam" SSID.
- bug 1028037 - NFC testcase failure with error message "Accessing TypedArray data over Xrays is slow
- bug 1017485 - [Follow up of Bug 984207] Define timing to enable/disable P2p mode
- bug 933588 - B2G NFC: Rewrite NFC Worker in C++
- bug 813893 - B2G RIL: support UMTS CBS Message
- bug 843452 - B2G RIL: use ipdl as IPC in MozMobileConnection
- bug 1010356 - Network location provider should try to send neighboring cell data
- bug 1027430 - Add EF_SPN to Navigator.mozMobileConnections and ensure it's accessible from a non-certified app
- bug 859764 - WebSMS: move to MozMobileMessage WebIDL
- Provide WebNFC API v2 draft proposal
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- OMTC should be off on Aurora; we got a lot of data about some (uncommon to us) hardware that shows issues with OMTC on which we wouldn't have any other way. Thanks for putting up with the slightly sad state of affairs during this time.
- In the meantime, WebGL with OMTC should be back on par performance - bug 1000640
- Summer PTOs have started.
- Compiler (JIT)
- Front End and Other
- Blogs by Nick Nethercote
- Hoping to move most of the b2g media tests to iX slaves very soon
- Resolving bitrot so we can land bug 848954 (run MediaStreamGraph off the pulls from the output device)
- Lots of work ongoing on MSE/etc
- Identified total evilness in Apple audio hardware (mic sitting on top of left speaker in MBPros, horrid crosstalk on Apple analog headset jacks)
- We'll have to do the ugly trick used by others on MBPros of sending all audio to the right speaker in this mode
- Narrowing down a Mac-specific (OS-cause) long-delayed echo (0.5-1+ seconds) when using headsets, especially if you switch audio devices while in-use
- video quality regressions when the Load Manager cuts resolution (bug 1027100 - almost isolated
- HTTP draft 13 is working and interoperating with servers
- a few more things to fix, then hopefully turn on in nightly next week
- this may be the final version of HTTP/2! aka "we think we fixed the last spec bug" :)
- landed bug 677754 - remove redirect prompts in necko
- landed bug 1020539 - about:networking privacy leak
- shaking down TLS tunneling through HTTP proxies
- bug 1027133: enabled pinning in test-mode for all subdomains of twitter.com (this is broader than Chrome's pinset for twitter)
- No update this week.
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work, and say hi to new contributor zhoubcfan! Here are some highlights:
- Zack Weinberg (zwol) added umask support to OS.File (bug 1001849, bug 961080).
- [first patch!] patandia implemented an IonMonkey JIT instruction (bug 1024895).
- Neil Rashbrook (NeilAway) fixed an XBL problem on Win64 (bug 1026008, bug 1026254).
- James Kitchener (jkitch) improved MathML support (bug 330964).
- Giovanni Sferro (agi) improved some autocomplete code (bug 1025691).
- Brian Smith (bsmith) improved pkix code (bug 1006812, bug 1022970, bug 1026261, bug 1026371, bug 1027255, bug 1027311, bug 611752, bug 975229).
- [first patch!] Clément Geiger (cgg) improved some audio and video code (bug 1026854, bug 783043).
- [first patch!] kernp25 fixed some problems with app launching (bug 480242, bug 671528).
- [first patch!] Guillaume Maudoux implemented multiple IonMonkey instructions (bug 1028556, bug 1028658, bug 1028662).
- Kevin Locke corrected a date parsing problem in FTP listings (bug 961346).
- Xidorn Quan fixed an SVG assertion (bug 1028512).
- Nochum Sossonko (Natch) fixed a leak (bug 1020432, bug 1025595).
- Sushant Dinesh improved range analysis in SpiderMonkey (bug 1025050).
- Ms2ger did some cleanup work in various places (bug 1022855, bug 1025022, bug 1026739, bug 974327).
- Joshia Bruner (JosiahOne) added theme compatibility for Yosemite (bug 1021309).
- [first patch!] neocorp64 fixed a graphics leak (bug 1020439).
- Cameron Kaiser (spectre) fixed structured clones of 64bit values on big-endian (bug 1015824).
- Michael Brennan added auto-closing SQLite databases (bug 939072).
- Corentin Cos improved some GStreamer code (bug 1026704).
- [first patch!] Rémi Weng implemented an IonMonkey instruction (bug 1024589).
- Yuki Sekiguchi implemented ruby parsing spec changes (bug 1024447, bug 664104)
- Danny Chen (DChen) fixed a video control display problem (bug 1005031).
- pchang9 fixed some hunspell problems (bug 896301, bug 896844, bug 897255, bug 897780).
- [first patch!] davidmoreirafr implemented an IonMonkey instruction (bug 1028573).
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
gavin: cpeterson_: I just added a desktop update cpeterson_: gavin: \o/