SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2019-01-20

< SeaMonkey‎ | StatusMeetings

« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Contents

Agenda

  • Who's taking minutes? -> frg
  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
    • ewong master of the new infrastructure

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn't been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • The project areas on the website need further updates to reflect the current responsibilities after some long time developers and maintainers left the project. bug 1356106 has already been filed.
  • Planning the future of SeaMonkey with a new infrastructure is in progress.
    • The documentation on the website needs to be updated for recent build config changes. frg can support anyone who wants to do this.
    • ewong started thinking about the servers needed for hosting releases and builds.
      • We are unsure how much traffic we need. WG9s might be able to help out initially with hosting builds.
    • IanN currently does de-mozilla website changes in bug 1515507.
  • daniel mentioned that Azure Pipelines (build agent) is now free to use and also included free build time for Open Source projects.
    • ewong will look into it. It might be useful in the future to save us money.
    • ewong has been looking at Kallithea, RhodeCode and other similar tools which are needed later to automate source code management for non mozilla repos (tools, website and others).
  • daniel asked if there are any plans to provide github repos to attract new developers.
    • frg mentioned that currently this is not planned and might not be on the agenda in the forseeable future because of existing developer shortages.
    • Mozilla does this to a degree and we don't rule it out in the future. See Mozilla gecko-dev repo as an example.

CLOSED

Status of the SeaMonkey Infrastructure

  • Old infrastructure has been decommissioned.
  • Any tree information and builds will be updated once the new infrastructure is running.
    • Some progress has been made. The first jobs are running but are not finishing because of different errors.
    • IanN and frg now have access and plan to help ewong.
  • Please see Infrastructure Status
  • daniel wants to contact ewong and asking about our azure configuration.
    • If the build VMs are powered down when not in use we should save money.

Status of the SeaMonkey Source Tree

  • Starting with ESR60 2.57 all builds need to switch to mozilla as topsourcedir. Support for comm-central and comm-esr60 as top source dir is no longer supported.
    • Do not expect to use any 2.58+ release yet other than for checking if it builds. They are fundamentally broken by Mozilla source and api removals. We are currently fixing up 2.57 in the ESR60 repo right now and will tackle this later. Bugs for the 2.57 release will also land in comm-central.
  • Treeherder display is broken in SeaMonkey 2.49 and 2.53. It has redraw problems with 2.57 because of bad js. We do not use it. It is only good for picking packages for cross compiling.
  • [comm-central]:
    • Do not use the comm-central release.
    • The installer still works...
    • l10n is broken in comm-central because of search plugin issues. If we switch to search/list.json then we need to keep the l10n searchplugin xml files for esr60 or switch esr60 too.
    • There is more and more needed api and source support taken out of mozilla-central. It is unclear if we will ever be able to use this repo again.
    • We keep it at least building as long as we can.
    • The first patches for cross-compiling Windows builds on Linux are now checked in according to IanN.
    • New builds tools are needed to compile comm-central. Latest addition is nasm which will replace the unmaintained yasm.
    • See bug 1452448 for current comm-central breakages. This is not up to date.
  • [comm-beta]:
    • We currently do not track nor update comm-beta.
    • Do not use any current comm-beta based release.
    • See bug 1452448 for current comm-central breakages.
  • [comm-release]:
    • We currently do not track nor update comm-release.
    • Do not use any current comm-release based release.
    • An updated unofficial 2.53 is available from WG9's website. We accept filing bugs against it but it is only provided for testing purposes on the way to 2.57.
    • See bug 1379370 for current 2.53 breakages. All known major bugs for 2.53 are closed.
  • [comm-esr60]:
    • Sidebar, Help and Mail/News are broken because of XUL template removals. See bug 464710.
    • Do not expect to use the 2.57 release yet other than for testing.
    • An unofficial 2.57 is available from WG9's website. We accept filing bugs against it but it is only provided for testing purposes and not very usable at the moment. Please file bugs only against the browser part unless you know a specific problem is new and needs to be fixed. In any case check the existing bug reports to not generate bug noise.
    • See bug 1433370 for current 2.57 breakages.
  • [comm-esr52]:
    • See bug 1313304 for current breakages.
    • Builds from this repo are the only ones fully usable right now.
    • Security backports and updated platform support is not yet checked in. Needs to be evaluated what is to be taken when the infra is ready. An unoffcial 2.49.5 is available from WG9's website. See Release Train.

Fixed Source Tree Stuff Since Last Meeting

  • {bug|1490765}} broke building all comm-central applications without advance notice. A workaround in {bug|1490867}} was pushed until this is fully fixed.

Release Train

  • Gecko 60 / SeaMonkey 2.57 is now the ESR60 branch
    • SeaMonkey 2.57 will be the next major release after 2.49.x becomes EOL.
    • 2.57 will be build from the comm-esr60 repo.
    • Mail and news are still broken in SeaMonkey 2.57 (Thunderbird is now at 60.4).
    • Not all patches with l10n-relevant string changes are done for 2.57. frg has figured out a way to do this using strings from later l10n-central releases (suite directory only). He tried this with a local l10n dir and it turned out ok.
      • IanN will test it later but there is currently no alternatives presented.
      • IanN suggested asking Pike or flod about it.
      • With the preliminary solution no buildbot changes would be needed.
      • comm-central only patches must not delete any strings in the suite en-US directory until 2.57 is out.
      • When doing patches please make sure to change the l10n labels when the content changes.
      • cZ, DOMi and the Lightning extension will be compatible with 2.57.
      • At least cZ and DOMi might again be excluded because of the l10n problem tracked in bug 1231349.
    • Mail and news source structure has been aligned with Thunderbird in bug 1506440.
    • Thunderbird plans to switch to Web Extension dictionaries.
  • 2.49.4 has been released on July 27th
    • Because of bug 1489785 do not upgrade to macOS 10.14 yet if you can avoid it.
    • ewong tries to fix the update process for the aus3 server. This is broken since 2.48 and did not block the 2.49.4 release.
    • 2.49.5 will be done on the new infrastructure only. There is now bug 1512882 for tracking.
      • All initial patches in bug 1512882 have landed for both comm-esr52 and mozilla-esr52.
    • A meta bug for gtk3 compatibility has been created for 2.49.1 and up bug 1367257.
    • The following bugs are not yet fixed in 2.49.5:
      • bug 1409458 "Privacy Issue: Replying to or forwarding an HTML e-mail with external content".
      • bug 1406049 is not yet fixed but has a limited audience.
      • bug 1385667 and bug 1394149 fix build issues with gcc 7. We will evaluate if we can backport them in mozilla-esr52.
    • frg did gcc 7 builds and they had serious redraw problems. We will not use gcc 7 for building 2.49.5 on Linux.
    • The 2.49.5 releases uses the following branches in hg:
    • When updates are working again the following bugs need to be looked into:
      • bug 1274722 Add %SYSTEM_CAPABILITIES% to the SeaMonkey app.update.url preference.
      • bug 1271761 Add CPU features/detection to update URL.
    • cZ, DOMi and the Lightning extension will again be excluded because of the l10n problem tracked in bug 1231349.
    • We are evaluating doing official Linux and Windows x64 builds for a future 2.49.x release. This will only happen when the new infrastructure is ready.
    • IanN will look into including My and pt-BR locales in a future 2.49.x. frg can create patches based on l10n-release and l10n-central suite but these would need to be manually fixed by the translators and checked into a comm-release branch. We did this with nb-NO in bug 1391174.
    • Because 2.57 is not yet ready we plan to backport security fixes for future 2.49.x releases.
      • frg did backport all but 3 ESR60.2 fixes. He will look into TB 60 Bugs and the prerequisites for the missing fixes later.
      • The plan is to backport all security relevant ESR fixes to 2.49.5.
        • frg also backported support for VS2017 and the latest Windows toolkit to 2.49. ewong agrees that VS2017 should be used. We will check this into the new release branch when ready.
        • The new fixes and backported security fixes can be found in bug 1512882. They include the older TB52 verbranch fixes and will be used for the new mozilla-esr52 branch for SeaMonkey.
        • mozilla-esr52 is closed so pushes to the release branch in it need to be with CLOSED TREE.
  • An official 2.53 Beta might be done later.
    • A release would need l10n translations. The temporary solution for 2.57 will not work for this release.
    • A release would need further security fixes. frg tries to keep it as current as possible in his spare time.
      • The big security problems which were in the public are fixed.
      • The current security level as of today is more or less at 52.9. Goal is to to be on par with latest ESR 60 soon.
      • ICU60, Skia m66, NSS 3.40.1, NSPR 4.20 and so TLS 1.3 have been backported.
    • The last known regression compared to 2.49.x has been fixed in 2.53.
    • Bill posts the patch files from frg containing the backported source and fixes on his wg9s website for 2.53.
      • frg maintains the patches for 2.53 on gitlab in a private repo. Anyone who wants access can send him an email but Bills repo is usually up to date.
      • The repo minus any private fixes could be used to create beta branches for 2.53.
    • IanN thinks we can do a 2.53 branch in c-r and m-r so that we can include the backported bugs.
  • Discussions if we should match minor version numbers with Firefox are still underway. This would need a coordinated change for either c-c or all trees. All minor versions would be changed and the versions would need to be made available in bugzilla. Lightning version calculation needs to be changed. This will be done at a later date and not for 2.49 ESR.
  • Windows x64 releases
    • Unofficial (contributed build) Win64 builds work.
    • Mapi bug 393302 has been fixed so there is nothing more which would prevent us from releasing a fully functional Windows x64 build.
  • Useful Firefox Release Schedule link: Releases Scheduling
    • Next scheduled Merge Day: January 21st, 2019.

Extensions and Plugins Compatibility Tracking

  • Most extensions are now broken in SeaMonkey 2.54+ because of Mozilla api removals.
    • WG9s fixed ChatZilla for 2.57. The patches have been reviewed and checked in.
      • It will probably never work again without a rewrite in 2.58+/61+ because of overlay and other removals.
    • DOMi is broken in 2.56+. See bug 1429936.
      • The developer of DOM Inspector Plus has fixed his extension and we can use the fixes for DOMi.
      • frg has DOMi working for 2.57 using the patches but some minor issues still remain.
        • A work-in-progress version is available at [1].
    • The devtools can inspect chrome content but this needs to be fixed in SeaMonkey. It works in Thunderbird.
      • DOMi might be retired later when this works. It is currently not built. See also bug 1273222.
    • The addon-SDK has been removed.
    • SMILE has been removed in 2.57.
    • Non bootstrapped add-on support has been removed in 2.58+.
    • Bootstrapped add-on support will be removed in Gecko 65.
    • Support for unpacked extensions has been removed.
    • Overlay support has been removed from Gecko 62. Thunderbird did build a lightweight solution for converting existing overlays.
    • Thunderbird has added preliminary WebExtension support to Thunderbird 63.
    • Lightning is packed directly into Thunderbird and SeaMonkey now. This was done in bug 1451847 for SeaMonkey.
      • While packed directly it is still maintained as an extension
    • Add-ons need to switch to optionsType 3 for 2.57. TB did a fix showing the preferences in the menu list. We need to port this bug for 2.57.
  • WebExtension support in SeaMonkey is tracked in bug 1320556. As of now working on this has not started.
    • This would be needed for a ESR60 based SeaMonkey 2.57.
  • Evaluation if some extension functionality should be incorporated will need to be done for the 2.57 release.
    • Lightning is still working in 2.57 and directly distributed starting with 2.57.
    • NoScript, Adblock Plus and uBlock are broken in SeaMonkey 2.54+
    • SeaTab X2 and Version Number work in 2.57.
    • debugQA works in 2.57.
  • The SeaMonkey and Thunderbird add-ons are now hosted on [2].
    • [3] redirects to it. 2.57 has already been switched over to the new site in bug 1475799.
      • 2.57, comm-central and the inofficial 2.53 already have updated prefs. We plan to do this for a future 2.49 release.
    • The old add-ons website api has been removed in bug 1402064 for Gecko 60 and up. We might need to do some further porting here to smoothly

integrate installation from the add-ons site.

    • For Thunderbird a new add-on [4] is available to switch addons.mozilla.org to addons.thunderbird net.
    • The website has been updated and points to [5].
  • We will evalute the possibility of shipping pdf.js with SeaMonkey in a future release. frg will look into it when he finds some time.
  • NoScript Classic 5.x is still being updated. You can get it from [6]. Currently 5.1.9.
  • uBlock Origin is still being updated. You can get it from [7]. You need to pick the latest legacy version. Currently 1.16.4.6.
  • Mozilla removed all classic add-ons from AMO. Rainer_Bielefeld filed bug 1517828 to see if missing add-ons can be re-added. The add-on converter also no longer works because of this.
    • Suggestion is to use a third party archive ca-archive and xpi.

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • See Basics page for the usual reminders.
  • Old add-on signing methods has been removed. SeaMonkey and Thunderbird still use them per thread "removing "the old way" of signing add-ons" in mozilla.dev.platform. Apparently dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/so…sions/content/xpinstallConfirm.xul contain the references to them.

CLOSED

2.49.x current releases

open tracking (0) tracking requests (1) targeted (0) fixed (82)

2.57.x next release branch

open tracking (0) tracking requests (2) targeted (0) fixed (93)

2.Next

  • macOS cross-compiling
  • frg did cross compile all relevant trees on Linux starting with comm-esr52 sucessfully using the instructions from IanN in bug 1379062. He has a small cross compile guide available.
    • It is not sure if the cross-compile can create universal macOS 2.49.x builds needed for plugin suppprt but this will only become urgent when the new infra is up and only for 2.49.x. macOS support for x86 applications is discontinued anyway.
    • Building with the 10.11 SDK need the fixes in bug 1391790 for macOS 10.13.
    • For cross compiling a recent Rust cross package and the cross toolchains are needed. For local use they can be extracted from any Firefox macOS taskcluster build.
    • WG9s plans to provide cross-compile builds on his website.
  • We need someone to work on porting sync 1.5 over to replace legacy sync code.


See: New Firefox Sync has landed in Firefox Nightly. Tracked in:

    • bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager.
    • bug 1003434 Add support for about:sync-progress.
    • As an alternative to porting sync setting up a sync 1.1 server might work.
    • Sync 1.1 has been removed from the mozilla source tree. If we want Sync 1.1 to work we need to fork it.
      • Pro: We control our own sync server and are not left at the mercies of Mozilla the next time they change their sync system.
      • Con: Can't sync with Firefox (unless someone writes a Sync 1.1 client for Firefox).
    • The sync ui has been disabled in 2.57+ in bug 1432273.
  • frg suggests doing an about:credits page for SeaMonkey contributors. This should link to a new list of people on the SeaMonkey project page.
    • IanN suggests about:smcredits.
    • The mozilla credits page still must be linked because there are many SeaMonkey contributors in it and Gecko is also still the foundation we did and are building on.
  • Tests are broken. Priority for new features or ports according to IanN is to get the code working.

frg suggests splitting off the tests to separate bugs for tracking and hopefully fixing in the future. With the current dev resources at hand he is not very hopeful about fixing the tests anytime soon.

  • Stalled. Needs a kick:
    • bug 815954 Click-to-Play: Port bug 812562 (click-to-play blocklisted plugins: reshow urlbar notification as with normal click-to-play).
    • bug 476108 GetShortPathNameW fails under some NTFS junctions [patchlove].
  • Current breakages:
  • Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
    • A lot of these bugs are due to mozilla-central switching from synchronous APIs to Asynchronous APIs.
  • [rsx11m] did open bug bug 1305902 for certificate pinning. Discussion if it should be enabled for SeaMonkey is still underway. Callek commented in the bug.
  • Nightly and Aurora updates are broken. bug 1321131 might be the cause. Aurora users need to be migrated to another channel if possible.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 8 new, 8 fixed, 6 triaged.

  • generally low activity on trunk, focus on branches towards releases

Open reviews/flags: 14 review 3 super-review 1 ui-review 9 feedback

  • See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.
  • TODO:
    • Encrypted Media Extensions / Digital Rights Management
      • bug 1127784 added a preference and UI to enable/disable playback of Encrypted Media Extensions, with UI seen in non-release builds only
      • More work appears to be needed to download necessary 3rd-party Content Decryption Modules, some UI can probably be ported from Firefox
  • Fundamental core features Firefox/Mozilla plans or did remove:
    • bug 1446341 The XUL "tree" widget will be removed from mozilla-central
      • Major bummer, will affect MailNews and other windows, Core bug 1446335
    • bug 1444685 XUL overlays are gone (SeaMonkey)
    • bug 1222546 Product plan: remove support for heavyweight themes
      • This has been officially removed with Firefox 57. With Firefox 61 theme support has been removed from the source. The Modern theme no longer works in SeaMonkey.
    • bug 1397874 tracks the xbl bindings removal. Only bindings used in Firefox will be kept for now until they are replaced with who-knows-what.
      • Overlays are now also gradually being removed. Mozilla has converted tabbrowser.xml to tabbrowser.js. Needs to be done for SeaMonkey in a later release too.
  • x64 Linux and for the first time x64 Windows builds will be made official as soon as possible.
    • Unofficial Linux builds just need to be declared official.
    • Providing Windows x64 builds is tracked in bug 482143.
  • The website and wiki are outdated. InvisibleSmiley no longer maintains the website. The website was updated but it still needs work. Volunteers welcome.
  • frg suggested asking for donations in a future release. Probably during startup or more prominently on the website.
  • frg suggested a tabbrowser.xml overhaul because it's becoming harder to backport fixes from Firefox.
    • IanN suggests doing small patches which are easier to review.
  • There are reports that the PayPal donation on the website doesn't work for USD. It seems the amount is converted to Euro (probably correct if it is a German account).
  • Images should be vectorized and be svg if possible for future updates and HiDPI compatibility.
  • bug 1414390 needs to be ported. intl.locale.requested locale list needs to replace general.useragent.locale. Thunderbird did this in bug 1423532.
  • More and more websites do poor browser sniffing or pretend to require a later browser version.
    • We need to evaluate if a user agent switcher should be incorporated into SeaMonkey.
    • For some google servicves like maps you need to set a plain Firefox useragent to avoid problems.
    • For github you need to set the gecko Version to 60.
    • We plan to add a generic user agent for github and 2.49 / 2.53 only. See bug 1505460.
  • bug 1463738 Bookmarks descriptions are taken out of Gecko 62.
  • Live bookmarks and rss support is taken out of Gecko 63 in bug 1477667. bug 1477670 might affect us too.

Roundtable - Personal Status Updates

  • IanN generally will handle more complex review requests. frg, rsx11m, stefanh and ewong can also do reviews in their areas of expertise. For bigger changes and branch approvals outside of the build system IanN needs to be involved.
  • a+ from trusted regular patch authors/reviewers for ESR60 / 2.57 is implied as long as it only affects the suite directory. This will change back to a general needed a+ when the tree becomes more stable and will be announced then. If in doubt ask for approval.

Status Updates from developers - what are you working on, what's the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

ewong

frg

Waiting for review:

  • bug 1274798 Seamonkey integration in Gnome3. Old bug/patch which needs verification from someone more familiar with Linux.

Waiting for feedback:

  • bug 1410646 Fix SM "log into/onto" and related instances.

Checkin ready:

  • nothing

Reviewing:

  • bug 802609 make folder picker in folderWidgets.xml set the parent menulist label properly. Waiting till the base patch gets r+
  • bug 1517016 Fix l10n for picking up new SM branding location. Need to think about it some more. Doesn't work because the files are acutally gone.

Working on:

  • bug 521861 After creating news account through clicking news URL Account Wizard is broken. jorgk found some issues in the patch which I need to fix first.
  • Fixing up mailnews for 2.57.
  • Fixing up debugQA.
  • Integrating DOMi Plus patches into DOMi.
  • Fixing up 2.53
  • Backporting ESR 60 fixes to 2.49.5
  • Backporting platform support for VS2017, later Rust and later clang for macOS.
  • Port of bug 1100103 Add a remove button to every To/CC/BCC address in Composer. No bug yet. Initial version in 2.53. Needs better styling.
  • Helping MMR with bug 1444740 Drop support for -moz-border-*-colors in SeaMonkey. He seems to have dropped out :(

Not working on:

  • Fixing comm-central. Not worth it currently. Only see that it builds.
    • 2.58+ is broken in capital letters as in BROKEN.

Shelved for later:

  • bug 1296850 Show standard loading indicator images in tab when busy or progress attribute are set. Asked someone who wants to help out to look at the icons. Got the icons but have no time at the moment.
  • bug 1379062 Enable cross-compile on SeaMonkey Linux machines. 2.49.x to 2.57 compiles fine locally.
  • bug 1392929 Port Bug 886907 [Remove old synchronous contentPrefService] to SeaMonkey.
  • Followups for bug 1379369 to TriggeringPrincipals and UserContextIDs in more functions.
  • bug 1370314 SeaMonkey 06/2017 installer rollup. Probably not much more right now. Took some parts to other bugs. and will see what is left when 2.57 is ready.

Mostly shelved for now because no time:

  • bug 1231349 10n repacks broken on with SM 2.42 and newer. DebugQA WIP patch done. extensions temporary disabled to get l10n builds.
  • bug 1374094 Update debugQA extension for older SeaMonkey versions. Need to move a function from editor into the patch and retest it.
  • bug 1402645 Build Lightning binary components for 2.49.1. Needed for 2.49.1!. Temporary fix in the esr branch.
  • Putting updated debugQA and DOMi extensions on TBN. Started with debugQA and noticed that it was no longer compatible with older versions.

Titbits:

  • Started importing recent ESR60 patches into 2.53. Around 50 new patches and still only 300 or so to go :)
  • Now have access to the new infrastructure thanks to ewong
  • Was busy with real life in the last two weeks. Not much done other than some support work and backporting to 2.53.

IanN

Rainer Bielefeld

rsx11m

Not really working on:

  • bug 1437393 Font lists in preferences are no longer grouped by font type, port asynchronous handling like bug 1399206
  • bug 1318852 Make labels of cmd_properties action-oriented and context-sensitive, e.g. "Edit Contact", "Edit List", etc.
    • "real" fix

stefanh

tonymec

Any other business?

  • The next meeting will be held in two weeks on February 3, 2019, 14:00 UTC.