Add-ons let you personalize your browsing experience in Firefox so you can make it your own. Your participation supports user freedom by ensuring that it remains the most customizable browser available.
- 1 Connect with us
- 2 Public Meetings
- 3 Contribute to the Add-ons Ecosystem
- 3.1 Test Pilot
- 3.2 Create an Add-on
- 3.3 Improve add-ons in Firefox
- 3.4 Improve addons.mozilla.org (AMO)
- 3.4.1 Contribute code to AMO server
- 3.4.2 Contribute code to AMO front-end
- 3.4.3 Become an Add-on Reviewer
- 3.4.4 Become an Add-on Content Review
- 3.4.5 Rate your favorite add-ons
- 3.4.6 Create a collection
- 3.4.7 Create a theme
- 3.4.8 Join the Featured Add-ons Advisory Board
- 3.4.9 Curate Featured Themes collection
- 3.4.10 Test add-ons
- 3.5 Contribute to add-on developer tools
- 3.6 Help add-on users
- 3.7 Help add-on developers
- 3.8 Localization
- 4 Contributor Recognition
Connect with us
Subscribe to the Mailing List
- Dev-addons: Public mailing list for development of the add-on ecosystem including the site addons.mozilla.org and server extensions.
General Discussion Forums
- Add-ons Forum: Discussions about add-on development, add-on support and addons.mozilla.org.
- Community Team
- IRC: irc.mozilla.org, #amo, #addons, #extdev, #addon-reviewers channels
- Facebook: mozaddons
- Twitter: @mozamo
See a list of all public add-on meetings.
Contribute to the Add-ons Ecosystem
Whether you're technical or not at all, there's a contribution opportunity for you. It's easy to get started, and your efforts help to make Firefox better!
Try out experimental Firefox features by installing an add-on and tell us how you like them!
- If you find bugs, file an issue at GitHub. If you got the coding skills and you're up for a challenge, help us fix the bugs!
- More about the Test Pilot project
Create an Add-on
Add-ons for Firefox Desktop
To get started, check out this comprehensive tutorial. It contains documentation, tools and information on how to get in touch with other developers. Need suggestions on what to build? Here is a list of add-ons people have asked for.
Add-ons for Firefox for Android
Firefox for Android supports add-ons using the same extension system used by all other Gecko-based applications. Get started here.
Port Add-ons to Firefox
It's easy to port Chrome extensions to Firefox. Read this quick guide and happy porting!
Improve add-ons in Firefox
Contribute to the Add-on Manager in Firefox
The add-on manager is an integral part of the end-user's experience with addons.mozilla.org
- Familiarize yourself with the on-boarding materials: Onboard to Firefox codebase
- Pick a "Good First Bug" to work on
Develop WebExtensions APIs
WebExtensions are the standard for add-on development in Firefox. It seeks to unify the extension APIs and architecture with those of other browsers in the name of interoperability and modern architecture.
- If you're experienced with Mozilla infrastructure and would like to develop WebExtensions APIs directly for Firefox, here is a list of approved APIs that you can start contributing to.
- If you'd like to become familiar with Mozilla infrastructure so you can develop WebExtensions APIs directly for Firefox, follow these steps:
- If you want to tinker with WebExtensions APIs without having to build Firefox, WebExtensions Experiments is for you!
- If you simply want to request a WebExtensions API, please read this information before filing a bug.
Improve addons.mozilla.org (AMO)
Addons.mozilla.org, commonly known as "AMO," is Mozilla's official site for developers to list add-ons, and for users to discover them.
Contribute code to AMO server
Contribute code to AMO front-end
Become an Add-on Reviewer
Volunteer reviewers ensure the security and reliability of add-ons on AMO by testing submissions. Learn how you can join this community.
Become an Add-on Content Review
Add-on content reviewers work in partnership with add-on reviewers to ensure that extensions on AMO are not spam and adhere to Mozilla's Acceptable Use Policy. No prior technical experience is needed to become a content reviewer. Learn how you can join this community.
Rate your favorite add-ons
Search for your favorite add-on at https://addons.mozilla.org. On the add-on's detail page, scroll down to the Reviews section and leave a comment for the developer.
Create a collection
Collections make it easy to keep track of favorite add-ons and share your perfectly customized browser with others. Get started here.
Create a theme
Lightweight themes let you personalize the look of your Firefox. To create your own, start here.
Join the Featured Add-ons Advisory Board
The Featured Add-ons Advisory Board is comprised of a small group of community members who help select each month's featured add-ons. Every board serves for six months, then a new group of community curators take over. Check the Add-ons Blog to learn when the next application period opens and for application instructions.
Curate Featured Themes collection
- Do you know Python? Help write automated tests for AMO!
Contribute to add-on developer tools
Help add-on users
Answer questions from add-on users in the Firefox Support Forum!
Help add-on developers
If you're already familiar with add-on development or you think you're a good technical writer, help us improve the documentation for add-on developers: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons
You can also help by translating these docs to a different language (pro tip: try replacing the en-US part of the link above to your native language code).
- MDN's "localization priorities" list - We're always in need of translators--here are the priority projects for add-ons.
- Localize an add-on - Join the Babelzilla community and help translate add-ons to your language.
- Localize addons.mozilla.org - Join Pontoon and translate addons.mozilla.org frontend or backend to your Language.
Report Your Contributions
We want to make sure you're recognized for your contributions!
- Create a Mozillians profile if you haven't already.
- Add your name and accomplishments on the Recognition wiki page (please be specific--these will be archived by month, so list your recent contributions).
We regularly choose an outstanding contributor (Friend of Add-ons) and send that person a token of appreciation. Any contribution is eligible--it doesn't have to be an opportunity listed on this page!
Friends of Add-ons
Big thanks to these outstanding volunteer contributors!