This is the agenda and logistics page for Web Compatibility Team Work Week meeting in Whistler (British Columbia, Canada) from June 22 to June 26, 2015.
- Previous Work Week: Portland, USA, December 2014
- Next Work Week: Orlando, USA, December 2015. See also Paris, France, October 2015
- 1 Logistics
- 2 Attendees:
- 3 Agenda
- 4 Topics Bank
- 4.1 Hacking on Firefox
- 4.2 CSS Unprefixing Service (and other compat hacks)
- 4.3 UA overrides + Unprefixing Policies
- 4.4 Site Regression Tooling
- 4.5 Webcompat.com
- 4.6 Tools and workflow
- 4.7 Webcompat "PR": articles, talks, etc.
- 4.8 Presentation materials for talks/workshops
- 4.9 Web Compatibility and workload increase
- 4.10 Joint meetings
- Location: Whistler, Bristish Columbia (Mapple syrup and bears)
- Karl Dubost
Arrival: 10:00 AM, June 22, 2015 (Vancouver AC 4) Departure: 1:40 PM, June 26, 2015 (Vancouver AC 3)
- Mike Taylor
- Daniel Davis
Arrival: 2:55 PM, June 22, 2015 (Vancouver ANA 116) Departure: 4:20 PM, June 27, 2015 (Vancouver ANA 115)
- Hallvord Steen
Mon, June 22, 2015
- All Hands
- Kick off Platform
- WebCompat starting 14:45
Tue, June 23, 2015
Wed, June 24, 2015
Thu, June 25, 2015
Fri, June 26, 2015
Hacking on Firefox
1) How to build Firefox 2) How to use Git to write a patch and get it reviewed, landed, etc.
CSS Unprefixing Service (and other compat hacks)
Does a whitelist based approach scale to the web?
What other things can be done (standardization efforts, etc.)
UA overrides + Unprefixing Policies
Let's (re)visit the policies, creating them if they don't exist.
Site Regression Tooling
Note: Hallvord not here.
It would be good to meet with Fennec + Release Management to discuss this.
We will probably still discuss this, given its importance. Hallvord can either Join via Vidyo or we can send him minutes.
Review Portland decisions.
Volunteers contributing to dev
Alexa, Guillaume, Daniel are the main contributors. It would be great if they could come.
- Check if we can find budget for them (miketaylr is doing that: he has a meeting to discuss with George Roter on Thursday April 2.)
- Check if they wish/are available for coming.
Volunteers contributing to outreach
Abdul (haseeb) has been helping with outreach.
Failures and Success
What's going well, what could we improve on webcompat.com
Plan for site localization
MetaCompat: Improve compatibility between WebCompat and Bugzilla
WebCompat benefit: custom made for compatibility issues. Bugzilla benefit: has nice categorization.
- Leave things as they are - it's not that bad.
- Manually add Bugzilla issues to WebCompat and build categorization feature.
- Scrape wiki/Bugzilla page (e.g. YQL) and import to WebCompat.
Note: Mike already has a python script which might be a solution.
Tools and workflow
- Let's teach each other how to be more efficient or learn new things.
- Show off tools or workflows that help you.
- To make it more effective, the person who is taught need to write a blog post about it.
Webcompat "PR": articles, talks, etc.
- What did we publish this year?
- Where did we talk?
- What do we want for 2015?
Presentation materials for talks/workshops
- Do we need a slideset if we do not talk anymore that much?
- Should we be talking more?
Web Compatibility and workload increase
- Acknowledging the work we do on Desktop component
- Acknowledging the webcompat.com work done outside of webcompat
- Dashboard for participants (contributors and employees)
List here who we want to meet
- MattN from the password manager team would like to discuss reporting of password manager issues.
Presentation on what is Web Compatibility, what is it doing, what are the issues around UA customizations.
To discuss automated approaches to site regression testing for releases.
(People from the) Servo/B2G/Desktop product Teams
We're pretty well connected with the Fennec team. Should we try to develop the same relationships/points of contact with our other browser products friends?