Contribute/Webdev/Group 04 08 13
- Meeting time: Monday, April 8 at 10:30 AM Pacific
- Video: David Boswell's vidyo room (use this link for guest access)
- Audio: If video doesn't work, call +1 800 707 2533, pin 369 - conf 9634#
- Back channel: #webdev
- Webdev Badges
- Webdev badges are live!
- Open issue with possible spamming people with repeated invites is holding back running the script again. Ricky is looking into a fix
- Once that's fixed, how often should we be running the script to issue new badges?
- Next phase
- Revisiting the badges.mozilla.org landing page to cover all Mozilla badge activities (David/Emily)
- Roll out of integrating badges into other webdev teams' processes and creating templates for other teams (Ben/Emily)
- Any other badges to add -- for example, badges for mentoring bugs?
- Measuring effectiveness of badges
- Integration with mozillians.org (see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=680209)
- Proposed phases: Algorithmic, peer, then determine popular badges
- Discuss questions about webdev community badges
- Creating a spreadsheet with relevant metadata for each badge
- Tying into Web Literacies -- https://wiki.mozilla.org/Learning/WebLiteracies
- Logistics: Keep meeting every week or go back to every other week?
- Reducing barriers for new contributors
- Top priorities
- Other ideas (need to prioritize)
- Linking to the Github page template in footer of pages on Bedrock (Rik)
- Improving documentation and clarifying how different sites have small but significant differences to be aware of
- Reaching out to Petri team to see if they could help make it easier for front-end webdev contributors to access to a staging site
- Tulsa Webdev hack day
- Looking for mentors to prepare contribution opportunities and be available online during event
- Using this as a template for Reps to run other webdev hack days
- Creating a workflow for how to handle webdev inquiries
- Documenting current workflow
- Enhancing current process (follow back up with promising leads 2 weeks after first contact, recognizing volunteers with a public post or swag after finishing first mentored bug)
- Piggybacking on other contributor efforts
- Ricky to set up cronjob to automatically run badge issuing script on Fridays.
- Group decided to focus on building out peer badges as phase 2 of badge effort and on Ben's efforts to increase community building capacity in Webprod as a template to help other Webdev teams build capacity.
- David to add Ricky's swag question to next agenda.
- David to change invite back to every other week.
- Group to work on evolving agenda to make it more useful.