Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details - NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
- Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
- Vidyo Guest URL
These notes are read by people who weren't able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.
- 1 Actions from Last Week
- 2 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- 3 Feedback Summary
- 4 UX & User Research
- 5 Market Insights from the Product Marketing Strategy Team
- 6 Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- 7 Questions, Comments, FYI
- 8 Actions this week
Actions from Last Week
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- Desktop FF 23.0.1 (non-security driven dot release) was shipped on Friday (8/16)
- Drivers :
- bug 904001 – DLL block request: rlnx.dll, pmnx.dll, opnx.dll, prnx.dll 1.3.334.9 (Relevant Knowledge 1.0.2)
- bug 902349 – crash in nsStyleSet::FileRules with AMD Radeon HD 6310
- bug 901527 – Audio static/"burble"/breakup in mozilla to mozilla webrtc calls
- Drivers :
- Firefox 23 Post-Mortem yesterday
- Firefox 24.0beta4 (Desktop) shipped yesterday, two betas a week is going well
- Next Beta going to build tomorrow
- Team currently working on Iteration #13 which runs until Monday August 26.
- 40 points completed to date - forecast drop in team velocity at end of iteration.
- Metro Preview Release:
- 33 Confirmed Open Bugs
- 30 Resolved Bugs
- 37 To Be Triaged
- Iteration #14 runs from August 27 - September 10.
- QA is regression testing Iterations #1 - #12.
- QA intern Samvedana is organizing a Metro Test Day at the end of August - details forthcoming.
- L10N enabled on m-c and looking pretty good. We expect to be l10n complete at Aurora uplift.
- Our number 1 priority here is WebRTC support. This landed just in time for the latest beta bug 888274 - Upgrade to RFC 5389 STUN
- gUM is ready but PeerConnection & DataChannel support isn't due to unreliable networking perf
- Also note that our latest add-on feature, prompt.jsm is in! It's a module that can be used to show dialogs in Fennec, read more about it, here: http://digdug2k.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/prompt-jsm-in-fennec/
- Not many uplifts to report, we're making sure the Guest Browsing feature is solid
- Today's nightly has the new about:home. You can now swipe between History, Bookmarks, Reading List. You will see it's sooo much easier to access your history and bookmarks. We're focusing on polish and parity bug 862801 to be sure we're ready for Fx26 GA just in time for 12/10 GA. Read more in Lucasr's blog: http://lucasr.org/?p=3842
- Restyled Error pages, bug 808636 - Update visual style of mobile error pages
- Our contributor Fredrico landed (preff'd off: browser.ui.linkify.phone) bug 566225 - Add a context menu item for "Call Phone Number" if the selected text looks like a phone number
UX & User Research
Market Insights from the Product Marketing Strategy Team
Desktop / Platform
- Google Launches Chrome 29 With Improved Omnibox Suggestions On Desktop, WebRTC On Android.  Omnibox (combined URL and search bar) now also bases its suggestions on the recency of the sites you have visited. Mac Chrome 29 now supports Google’s rich notifications.
- Mark Zuckerberg through Internet.org launched a project with backing from Opera, Ericsson, Samsung, MediaTek, Nokia and Qualcomm aimed at bringing Internet access to people around the world who cannot afford it  (Google is already working on a similar project called Loon).
- Microsoft offers classrooms free Surface RT tablets with ad-free Bing for Schools.  The pilot project starts with 800,000 students in US schools today.
Apple's tablet market share in China plunged to 28 percent in the second quarter from 49 percent last year, although Apple’s tablet shipments also increased 28 percent to 1.48 million units.  Among notable increases were for Lenovo increasing tablet shipments to 413,000 units from 204,000 in the second quarter, Samsung’s shipments increasing four times to 571,000, and Surface with 37,000 shipments.
Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
“Things get interesting, however, when you look at the graph of the error rates for just the latest versions of the browsers tested. Here, Firefox 22 really shines, with an error rate so low that it doesn't chart at all.” – The Register
- Firefox takes top marks in browser stability, The Register
- Firefox 24: The Road to Australis, eWeek
- Mozilla Firefox browser now available in Tamil, Digit
- Mozilla to Launch Metro-Friendly Version of Firefox on Dec. 10, PCMag.com
- Windows 8 Users That Hate Internet Explorer Will Soon Be Saved By Firefox (MSFT), SFGate