Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details - NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
- Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
- Vidyo Guest URL
These notes are read by people who weren't able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.
- 1 Actions from Last Week
- 2 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- 3 Feedback Summary
- 4 User-Experience
- 5 Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team
- 6 Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- 7 Questions, Comments, FYI
- 8 Actions this week
Actions from Last Week
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
Firefox Desktop & Platform
- Firefox 27 Beta 8 for mobile and Desktop shipped
- Firefox 27 beta 9 for Desktop goes to build tomorrow
- Final beta(Fx 27.0b10) for mobile goes to build on Monday
- We are looking to execute "repackaging release build to beta users" this cycle. Plan will be more concrete by Friday as we are relying a few socorro changes for the plan to work
- Details here
- bug 908134 - Figure out how to offer release build to beta users
- Team working on Iteration #23 until Friday January 31 - final iteration before Beta uplift.
- 12 out of 66 points completed to date for Iteration #23.
- 3 out of 18 bugs resolved to date for Iteration #23.
- QA testing of Iteration #22 is currently underway.
- Iteration #22 Status Report now available: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Metro/Iteration22StatusReport
30 Total; 0 Open (0%); 7 Resolved (23.33%); 23 Verified (76.67%);
- Features: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Roadmap#Firefox_27:_.28Beta.29
- Fx27b8 was just signed off this morning, looks like it shipped
- Recent uplifts to beta include:
- bug 935676 - Flash doesn't work on 4.4 KitKat was uplifted about 4 days ago; there is a follow up fix needed for a hang on tegras, snorp filed: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=65086
- bug 949458 - (Nexus 7 2012) - the tabs button is wrongly displayed after open a link in new tab
- bug 956420 - header on Twitter scrolls incorrectly when viewing image
- Crash squashed: bug 847021
- bug 938153 - Selectively display the globe favicon placeholder when favicon fetches take long enough to be noticeable
- Features: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Roadmap#Firefox_28:_.28Aurora.29
- We're getting all the action bar for text selection work shored up by Friday, hit list is: bug 949613, 955861 bug 955861, bug 950698, bug 956782, bug 956900, bug 952112
- Stability, we are just under 2.5 crashes per 100 ADU
- Features, roadmap shall be updated so stay tuned: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Roadmap#Firefox_29:_.28Nightly.29
- Enough has landed in for the new sync in Fx29, QA is now testing. Latest landings include:
- bug 951264 - COPPA support for Firefox Accounts on Android
- bug 956581 - Make FxAccountGetStartedActivity an AuthenticatorActivity
- bug 951304 - Follow-up: Look better on tablets; improve interstitial
- bug 929066 - Handle skew in HAWK requests
- Lots of second screen-related landings: bug 953381 - Add generic support for casting a video to a second screen service
- bug 917896 Replaced progress spinner, page load time win. Read more, here: http://starkravingfinkle.org/blog/2014/01/firefox-for-android-page-load-perfomance/
- We're spinning up a start-up perf effort bug 959776 - [meta][project] Improve startup performance
- Source Editor improvements
- ES6 Support bug 928963
- Code Folding bug 734439
- Emacs and VIM keybindings bug 941725
- CSS SourceMaps
- SourceMap support for SASS bug 959003
- Pref UI for CSS SourceMaps bug 950921
- Highlighter in Browser Toolbox
- Source Editor improvements
- Outbound is slow until uplift, but
- working on plans to crank up our devrel program
- working on demos for MWC (dcamp is attending)
- We have a new hire! Say hi to Rob Rayborn.
- You should have gotten an Australis Feedback report from Nightly. Ask questions!
- Still looking into Flash "crashes" with the latest Flash update.
- Still catching up from an offsite, email us again if we're too far behind and you need something.
- No high-level update this week, but feel free to peruse UX team-member weekly updates
Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team
Desktop / Platform
- Adware firms have been buying some popular browser extensions  and updating the extensions using sophisticated malware techniques . A list of browser extensions have been spying on users  and Google has taken action against two of them  “Add to Feedly” and “Tweet This Page” — each of which had fewer than 100,000 users.
- Google Now is part of Chrome browser Canary build (34.0.1788) on Windows and Mac , signalling next phases  of bringing Google's machine learning across form factors. 
- Gartner reported that Apple's desktop form factor market share rose from 9.9% in Q4 2012 to 13.7% in Q4 2013  at the expense of HP and Toshiba. This comes as desktop form factor loses market share globally - Emart, the Korean retailer, reports that desktop form factor dropped share of sales from 34.2% in 2012 to 26.6% in 2013, while notebooks increased from 58.8% to 63.2%, with tablets occupying the remaining 10.2% . Usage of desktop/laptop for email declined too - Movable Ink reports that 65% of consumer brand marketing emails were opened on mobile devices in Q4. 
- Gingerbread (released Dec 2010) is still on 21% of all active Android devices and the 2nd largest Android distribution. On first place is JellyBean, with over 59%, and on 3rd is Ice Cream Sandwich, with 16%. source.
- Google added data compression for Chrome on Android. The feature claims to save up to 50% of data usage by routing page requests through its servers, where its PageSpeed libraries optimise the content. For pictures, which are up to 60% of the content of a web page, Google transcodes PNGs and JPGs to WebP. Google stored the data that is processed by its servers for up to 6 months. source
- NTT Docomo cancelled plans to launch Tizen devices in Japan that were planned for January. Samsung has also confirmed that there will be no US launch in 2014 for its OS. source
- An Ubuntu community manager confirmed that no major OEMs have agreed to ship Ubuntu - based phones and that we will likely not see such a device made by a top tier manufacturer before 2015. source
- Revenue distribution among app developers on iOS is more equally distributed than on Android, according to a study by Developer Economics. While total revenues on Android from apps are approaching those on Apple’s platform, their distribution is concentrated on a few major, global brands. On iOS, however, distribution of top revenue seems to be going to more developers than previous years. On iOs, the bulk of the revenue is from the US, but China and Japan are growing the most. Android relies mostly on revenue from Asia. source
Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- New team member Laura Napoli focused on PR/Comms in LatAm
Questions, Comments, FYI
- Removing a few localizations that haven't been up-to-date for a while, see post to release-drivers and bug 958703