< Firefox2 | StatusMeetings
<< previous week | index | next week>>
- 1 In Attendance
- 2 Agenda
- 3 Alpha 1 Status
- 4 Status Updates
- 4.1 Places
- 4.2 Tabbed Browsing
- 4.3 Extension Manager Enhancements
- 4.4 Installer
- 4.5 Search Engine UI
- 4.6 Visual/UI Refresh
- 4.7 Platform Uplift
- 4.8 Inline Spell Check
- 4.9 Instrumentation / Exit Surveys
- 4.10 Session Saver
- 4.11 Branding & Update Systems
- 4.12 RSS
- 4.13 Offline mode / better use of cache
- 4.14 Anti-Phishing
- 4.15 EULA
- 4.16 Performance
- 5 Other Business
annie, axel, autonome, beltzner, ben, bsmedberg, brakowski, brettw, darin, dveditz, gavin, jhughes, mconnor, markp, rebron, rob_strong, timr
- Alpha 1 Status
- Firefox 2 Feature Status Roundtable
- Any other business
Alpha 1 Status
- Places infrastructure (performance, stability, toolbar drag & drop)
- performance (Tp, Ts) has gotten better, close to status quo if not better
- problems with memory leak on balsa that we're trying to track down; this is blocking us as we can't turn it on. We're not sure that this is even Places that's doing it.
- dveditz: the whole point of "WARN_IF_FALSE" was to warn instead of fail on an assertion.
- darin: I'm gonna rack that up to maybe a typo in nsDebug.h?
- ben: maybe we can flip places on?
- beltzner: will post to devnews tonight, then flip it on for Weds morning
- Undo Close Tab
- at a hard decision about what approach to take
- either hide-the-tab, try to leverage bfcache, or just try to preserve form data retention
- will be able to get it ready for A1 based on one of these directions, assuming we still want to
- beltzner: I think we should get at least one of these directions in place
- darin: why would we use bfcache?
- bsmedberg: it might help persist full state while not allowing plugins and media to run in the background (which would happen with hide-the-tab)
- darin: need to be careful about
onunloadhandlers and other things that disable bfcache
- mconnor: if I can't figure out a way to make it work consistently, we might want to push this off to A2 or even extension-land
- at a hard decision about what approach to take
- Tab Overflow
- Extension Blacklisting
- patch waiting for review
- Extension Dependencies
- landed, no regressions
- Search Plugin Format Changeover (with sherlock import)
- review going well, working through Ben's comments
- not going to move to toolkit based on feedback in d-a-f
- looking to have a new patch for review soon (today/tomorrow)
- Spell-As-You-Type (english only)
- it's on trunk already (without the dictionary) --enable-extension: spellcheck? there are instructions in the enable spell check bug
- still blocked on licensing, who do I talk to about this? mscott for starters.
- ben: where does the dictionary file? what needs to happen with the build system to get it included?
- bsmedberg: point me to that please and we can get this started
- Instrumentation Infrastructure
- good progress on getting server infrastructure up and running
- should move this off to A2
- the exit survey will be in place for Firefox 184.108.40.206, morgamic is doing the final bits of work for the web app
- also thinking about entrance survey
- action beltzner cc darin on bug 314119
- RSS parser
- ben needs to check in with robert, think it's stuck waiting for a review
- RSS content detection (?)
- we think we're good here; not in darin's review queue anymore, at any rate
- version number / branding
- currently set at 1.5, should it be 2.0a1?
- benjamin: yes, that's what mscott's doing
- dveditz: should we also change the trunk, which is currently 1.6a1?
- benjamin: mscott has all of these under proposal
- action beltzner to take this as an action
- davel: when we push 2.0a1 to the beta-update channel, will these users get a choice?
- darin: yes, if we set something as a "major" release, they'll get a choice
- bsmedberg: it would be a good idea to test this code path on the nightly?
- annie: I think there's a lot of users who don't realize that they're on a beta channel right now, so we shouldn't be pushing the alpha onto the 1.5 beta channel
- action for darin to synch up with preed(?) to make sure that everyone's up to speed
- action for QA to test the 1.5.x update logic for user choice
- ben: release notes? documentation for MDC?
- promote it as a developer release
- mconnor: do we even want to promote it as that? some of these APIs are going to change?
- beltzner: but we want that feedback, don't we?
- mconnor: I'm worried about getting dugg, and getting bug feedback that we don't really care about anyway
- ben: maybe do it invite only?
- mconnor: get the release download numbers from Asa
- performance was good, no known data corruption issues
- annie's prepared some solid estimates, I need to do that and get it from the rest of the team
- action ben to meet with schrep next monday
- nothing beyond what's been discussed
Extension Manager Enhancements
- Extension Dependencies - phase 1 landed - no regressions so far
- Extension Blacklisting - patch ready for review last Friday
- Extension Locales - started
- Extension UI - mockups and proof of concept started
- Windows Installer - nothing new other than work on this will start again this week
- bsmedberg: is DOM Inspector part of the product or not?
- first requirement is to be able to provide variable paths for distribution and packaging of our installer
- now we're starting to talk about creating various levels of stub install: stub with full code, stub with all code but not optional code, stub with no code.
- bsmedberg: but do we consider DOM inspector part of the application or not?
- rob_strong: put it on AMO?
- beltzner: we need to figure out a way to make sure that it's there for users who need it, but not there for users who aren't there
- Branding and Locale installer customization - nothing new
Search Engine UI
- Back end work complete
- Updated patch today or tomorrow - needs review from mconnor
- Addressed ben's SR comments
- Code to remain in /browser per discussion on dev.apps.firefox
- Re-factoring of the Sherlock parsing code to be completed seperately if time permits (low priority)
- Need to discuss search plugin format further
- requirements for the visual refresh are on the wiki
- will be creating a new space for discussion of this theme (dev.apps.firefox.newtheme) and trying to figure out some place to provide hosting for mockups and images
- met with ben and jhughes yesterday to discuss changes to the default chrome for the browser window, the outcome of which was posted to dev.apps.firefox
- SVG textPath needs to get an answer and attention in the next 2 weeks, thus I make a commitment here that I will produce a landing scenario for them by March 10.
- no new status on UTF-16 XPCOM I/O fixes.
- schedule for platform uplift deadlines no longer clear due to schedule strategy shift; will try to build something new there for next week.
- need to produce a plan for tracking 1.8.1 approval queues and setting expectations there appropriately.
Inline Spell Check
Waiting for clarification on licensing.
Instrumentation / Exit Surveys
- Mostly working on server backend. Not much new status to report.
- bug 189570 is fixed on the trunk.
- SessionStore service mostly working in Bon Echo
- Currently pulling from cache or reloading, not dump/restoring DOM
- This week: define and document API, finish code review and post patch
Branding & Update Systems
- nothing new here
- need to check in with robert sayre
Offline mode / better use of cache
- patch is in, waiting for branch approval
- continuing to investigate low hanging fruit
- fritz, darin, neils, mmc and brakowski meeting this afternoon to talk about ways of bundling/integrating Google phishing protector
- also investigating heuristic-based approaches and UI rendering for warnings about phishing
- nothing new here
- schrep's out of town, but is still planning to kick off a meeting on collecting better performance data on daily builds to continually monitor this issue
- annie: maybe use Google's QA to help us here
- action annie and timr to talk about this