- 11:00am PDT (18:00 UTC)
- Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
- +1 866 216 2181
- join irc.mozilla.org #bonecho for attendance taking
- 1 Agenda
- 2 Bon Echo Alpha 2
- 3 Developer Roundtable
- 3.1 Visual Refresh: Chrome Polish
- 3.2 Visual Refresh: Theme Polish
- 3.3 Bookmarks and History: Places
- 3.4 User Experience: General & Tabbed Browsing
- 3.5 User Experience: Session Restore
- 3.6 User Experience: Spell Check
- 3.7 User Experience: Microsummaries
- 3.8 Feeds: Parser
- 3.9 Feeds: UI
- 3.10 Extension Manager: UI
- 3.11 Extension Manager: Blocklisting
- 3.12 Extension Manager: Locale Packs
- 3.13 Search: UI
- 3.14 Search: Plugin Format
- 3.15 Distribution: Installer
- 3.16 Distribution: EULA
- 3.17 Distribution: Channel Support
- 3.18 Infrastructure: Performance
- 3.19 Infrastructure: Platform Uplift
- 3.20 Infrastructure: Instrumentation
- 3.21 Security: Phishing
- 3.22 Security: SSL
- 3.23 User Documentation
- 4 Other Business
- Bon Echo Alpha 2 (Tracking & Status)
- Development Roundtable
- Any other business
Bon Echo Alpha 2
- list any at risk P1 or P2 requirements targetted at A2:
- review and simplification of existing top level chrome
- support for extensions that provide l10n to applications or extensions
- new Places UI
- quick access to bookmark search is buggy
- hooks for extension developers (see shaver's summary)
- low-bar pretty-printing for RSS/Atom that displays content
- ben: backend was checked in on trunk, so we'll be spinning up UI discussion and this might make it in
- myk: microsummaries are also in risk
- shaver: some performance stuff around idle timers on windows and eventloop cocoa-ization on mac might be at risk; I know it's a B1 target but I'd like it in for A2 if at all possible. JS 1.7 uplift might be ready for A2, if it is, we might want to take it assuming how invasive/dangerous it is. Places hooks I'm hoping for might also be shifting due to recent discussions with partners, and that might put that piece at risk.
Add notes about work being actively done at the moment, areas where you'll need help/review, or things which the rest of the team should be made aware of. Leaving the section blank or linking to current discussion threads in dev.apps.firefox is perfectly acceptable.
Visual Refresh: Chrome Polish
- no news from last week
Visual Refresh: Theme Polish
- Radiant Core will be delivering 4 theme design mockups at the end of next week; also talking to RaizLabs.
Bookmarks and History: Places
- ben to add any new update
- Performance (brettw): Places Tp < 2% regressed on gaius. Startup time is probably faster than noplaces with reasonably-sized histories. Autocomplete is definitely faster than noplaces with reasonably-sized histories. Shutdown time is good.
User Experience: General & Tabbed Browsing
- mconnor to add any new update
User Experience: Session Restore
- Waiting for feedback on latest patch
- Testing performance
- Working on hooking up undo close-tab
- Implemented toSource/eval storage
User Experience: Spell Check
- Branch patch completed but rejected due to potential security problem. Need to refactor a couple things to expose less on the XULDOMDocument. Need to fix on trunk as well.
User Experience: Microsummaries
- attached initial patch to bug 334471 (alias: microsummaries)
- the patch supports microsummaries specified by pages, the application, and third-party microsummary definition files;
- per discussion in mda.firefox, switched from the extension model to the search engine model for installation of third-party definitions;
- RSS/Atom feed microsummaries are not supported yet, but the architecture is now mostly there to support them, and I'm working on this next;
- looking for all kinds of review (design, code, UI, etc.) and would like to figure out who the appropriate authoritative reviewers will be.
- SAX landed on trunk bug 325080. There are a couple follow-on bugs listed there. The most critical one adds asynchronous capabilities. bug 334304. It has sr already. Landing on branch will require some string munging in ReportError and a strategy for setting channel status in ParseFromStream. -sayrer
- Toolkit FeedProcessor.js is @ 75%. I have time to push on it this week. -sayrer
- ben/rsayre to add any new update
Extension Manager: UI
- Close to finish (e.g. one to two days)
Extension Manager: Blocklisting
- Complete except for blocklist web page and AMO integration
Extension Manager: Locale Packs
- May miss A2
- gavin to add any new update
Search: Plugin Format
- gavin to add any new update
- Work will continue after Extension Manager UI patch is submitted (e.g. a day or two)
- cbeard to add any new update
Distribution: Channel Support
- shaver: SVG performance update code seems to be avaialable; Tor gave me a summary today. I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions on the cost vs. value on this one. The other thing on my radar is cairo uplift; there's a bunch of performance work upcoming, but likely after A2 so we'd need to be ready to review and take it for B1.
- darin: are those text-rendering regressions different than those related to thebes?
- shaver: yes, based on new stuff stuart put in based on text on the path and text shaping and positioning issues
Infrastructure: Platform Uplift
- blocking-1.8.1 triage underway, about 15% done, would appreciate people going back and clearing any noms that they no longer believe in
The current proposal is to implement instrumentation as an extension. The advantages to this approach include the ability to update the extension independent of a release, in addition to greater flexibility in promoting the extension through vehicles such as addons.mozilla.org.
We'll continue to develop the code in the Mozilla CVS repository while evaluating options to host the data within the mozilla.com domain. Target release date for an Instrumentation Extension is TBD.
Currently working through policy and UI design elements around multi-provider support.