- 11:00am PDT (18:00 UTC)
- Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
- +1 866 216 2181 (or +1 303 228 0514)
- join irc.mozilla.org #bonecho for backchannel
- Bon Echo Beta 1 Post Mortem
- Bon Echo Beta 2 Status
- Long Poles
- New Areas of Concern
- Any Other Business
Bon Echo Beta 1
- can these be marked fixed, or retargetted at the next milestone if they're still relevant?
- the builds were ready to go early in the morning, the holdup was the release notes and announcements; this is good news, but we need to get better at that cycle
- also, a huge shout out to our l10n teams - this is the first time we've released a beta in all tier1 locales!
Release notes and download pages
- major thanks to reed and sgarrity for the work on the download page which we can re-use for beta2 and future alpha/beta releases.
- the pages created by bug 344128 need some JS help, see bug 344551 if you would like to lend a hand
- early feedback was positive
- pkasting: there was a lot of confusion about beta1 vs beta1rc1, beta1rc2, beta1rc3
- schrep: we've had this problem before, people find it on the FTP site, etc.
- schrep: we'll try to make it more clear next time
- beltzner: making a clear announcement on dev-news worked for the alphas
- pkasting: keeping it in the nightly directories might help, too
Bon Echo Beta 2
- if you want something in beta2, nominate the bug as blocking-firefox2? or blocking1.8.1? and set the target milestone as Firefox 2 beta2 or mozilla1.8.1beta2; drivers to triage the list daily from here to beta2 release (note: no target milestone means that it's not blocking that target)
- August 1: code freeze
- August 2-7: beta rcs, qa, l10n-qa, release notes
- August 8: planned ship date
- there is now a preview available of the visual refresh work to be done
- need help on implementation effort (mconnor, kgerich, ben, pamg, joe?)
- ben: Radiant Core will be doing the implementation?
- beltzner: yeah, wherever they can; they have experience with theming and writing extensions
- tracking bug is bug 328065
- design discussion & patches in bug 343251
- sspitzer: in review stage with Mano, should be looking to land on trunk in the very near future
- master tracking in bug 341420 and bug 338999
- brettw: performance has gone from totally unreasonable to sluggish for some testcases; looking good for beta2
- original design landed on trunk for testing and feedback
- new design (result of after-meeting discussion last week) patch posted with all (I think) issues resolved is posted in the bug
- patches in bug 340677, currently blocked by bug 344651
- (notes on stuff to address: Clear Now and the dialog, groupbox in Clear Now, separator in Security)
New Areas of Concern
Removal of DOMI
- bsmedberg: this is hard to do properly?
- schrep: why were we removing this?
- bsmedberg: to be able to let it get developed out of band of Firefox
- mconnor: I want to be able to do better with developer tools, and the best way to do that is to get it out of the app and get someone who can own it and bring it forward separately and make it available as an extension
- dbaron: DOMI isn't only a platform thing, it's a web developer thing, and I hestitate to make it dependent on understanding how to find and download an extension
- bsmedberg: my concern is that it seems foolish to take it out on the expectation that it will make it easier to improve DOMI unless we have some commitment to actually improve and develop it.
- mconnor: rstrong, how hard would it be to fix the optional components install page?
- rstrong: we'd end up with a page like our current installer instead of the prettier tree view that we have now
- myk: seems late in the cycle for this large a change
- schrep: let's still ship it as app-managed, yet still aggressively
- (general agreement)
- sspitzer: this is at risk for beta2, but I'm looking at a way to at least get the strings in there and reviewed so that we can get them localized and shipped with Fx2, and then we can actually ship the code that uses them in a dot-dot release
- schrep: let's see if darin can help
Installer & EM
- rstrong: locale related bugs coming in, and I'd been assuming that we wouldn't be shipping DOMI
- rstrong: there are also some Vista-related requirements that we need to evaluate; don't know if those will prevent us from working, or just prevent us from integrating perfectly.