Work in Progress
This is a page to summarise discussions relating to improving performance via changes to DNS.
Note: Closely related to HTTP Prefetching.
Meta-bug improve DNS performance bug 580093
- Listed as blocking bug 71668 - page loading performance issues
Contains the following Prefetching-related bugs
- bug 40082 - Domain Guessing: should call resolver explicitly (and not trigger DNS search domains)
- bug 481503 - do DNS prefetch for awesomebar matches
- bug 580099 - Prefetch DNS for hosts needed during startup
- bug 580104 - Keep hostname cache for more aggressive DNS prefetching
- bug 580117 - Prefetch DNS for links that the mouse gets close to
- Note: Prefetching has privacy considerations - see here
Other performance related
- bug 580037 - Increase number of concurrent DNS requests allowed? (Related to changing the stub resolver Networking/DNS/Host resolver).
- bug 580130 - implement about:histograms for necko?
Other DNS Performance bugs
- bug 697830 Delayed DNS prefetch queue is disabled for e10s
Other DNS Related bugs that may affect performance (some listed for informative reasons only)
- bug 507578 disable DNS prefetching when PAC or WPAD is used
- bug 390304 DNS lookups not bypassed when using auto proxy config URL
- bug 511839 DNS prefetch peppers DNS server with queries for the same FQDN
- bug 622232 DNS prefetches continue after a tab is closed
- bug 235853 [PAC] Defer proxy resolution for HTTP and HTTPS PAC to avoid blocking main thread during DNS resolution