Gecko 1.9 Performance and Leaks Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - Firefox 3 - 10:00am Pacific, 1:00pm Eastern
- Script Conference Room, Building S, Mountain View
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x91 Conf# 217 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 217 (US)
- irc.mozilla.org #perf for backchannel
- Lots of leaks with extensions.
- Many look like shut-down leaks. Would still be good to get these fixed so that we know for sure that they are shut-down leaks, and to make it easier to find other leaks. Have been giving these P3 priority.
- Some do not look like shut-down leaks, have been marking these P1 or P2.
- Will test which cause leaks that grow over time and make sure these are given top priority.
- Tomcats testing procedure documented here:  and leak testing plan here 
- Peterv has a patch to fix bug in cycle collector that causes many random crashes bug 407034, and a patch to fix one source of hidden-window-leaks which is likely source of many extension leaks bug 412491.
- More progress on making DEBUG_CC more useful by dbaron bug 410116. Seems mostly fixed.
- We need better tools in non-debug builds that extension authors can use for leak testing. Leak gauge should already work?
- AI:sicking Look into enabling trace-refcount, without the tracing part in nightlies.
- AI:cbarrett Look into OS leaks on Mac.
- AI:dbaron Make assertions fatal on new windows leak box.
- AI:sicking Test leaked handles on windows manually using purify.
- AI:sayrer Run leak buster while looking for trace-malloc leaks. [didn't get this done--sayrer]
- AI:sicking to go through and prioritize leak bugs
- Alix wonders about areas where we improved FF2->FF3. We want this for documentation purposes. Email alix with any things you know we have improved (@mozilla.com)
- For features page on main mozilla.com website
- For press reviewers' guide
- Needs concrete examples of speedups (pages, percentages, etc.)
- Will wait until b3 to have concrete numbers
- Concrete details: work that's happened, benchmarks that we're using, and what we expect in real-world usage
- JPEG/image speedups
- Perf Bugs for FF3:
- Txul platform differences according to mac mini machines
mac: slowest on 1.8, slower still on 1.9 (30% regression)Looks even or better than branch
- windows: fastest on 1.8, now in second place (30% regression) -- improving, still slower
- linux: middle on 1.8, now fastest on 1.9 (30% improvement)
- massive Ts regression in 2006
- Ts analysis: bug 406810
- Related to thread manager landing
- Darin thinks it might be excessive painting.
- Profile Guided Optimization
- WPO turned on for windows (bug 361343) -- nice performance win on XP
- Spidermonkey seems to respond well to PGO under GCC (bug 410994)
- sayrer has entire browser building with -fprofile-generate on Linux. no results yet.
- dbaron: shipped fx 1.0 with PGO on linux as well, was a 10% perf win... but compiler upgrade + build system breakage stopped us. We need to restart this on linux (and see about OSX).
- -GL breaks some things on win32
- On radar (unowned stuff that people have mentioned have mentioned we should look at at some point)
- Theme optimization
- roc's scrollbar issues
- startup performance (fastload perf, loading libXUL and other files, etc.) (unowned)
- more work to speed up onSecurityChange, but further work will require SSL work and reducing the number of notifications
- XPConnect accessor speed (bug 412531) (request for priority+owner by dietrich)
- Start/Stop Shark from JS (bug 411365 Patch)
- make faster
- bug 407459 -- Hook up jemalloc to our build
- ported to windows, mac and linux. integrated to build system on mac and linux. windows work continuing. Hope to have numbers by end of the week.
- bug 403830 -- Content arena
- bug 408720 -- Fallout
- New arenas
- Other bugs (should have perf and footprint keywords)
- bug 403354 -- Get rid of nsCStringArray ParseString usage (maybe fixed?)
- bug 407442 -- nsEventListenerManager allocates a lot [patch]
- bug 408113 -- JS reallocate context->stackPool arenas way too often [patch]
- bug 408301 -- XPConnect wrappers w/o XPConnect proto don't share JS scopes with their protos. [patch]
- bug 410250 -- nsID/nsJSID stupid mallocs [patch]
- bug 410357 -- use nsAutoTArray for nsCSSDeclaration::mOrder [patch]
- bug 410392 -- stack allocate gfx objects [patch, needs work]
- bug 408921 -- Arenas size+header are too big for size classification
- fix things