Notices / Schedule
Firefox 4 Beta 8
- criteria for release at this point is "no stability regressions from previous beta"
- there is a pending change to the way Sync UI works for adding another client (bug 602682) which needs to be simultaneously shipped with Fennec 2 Beta 3, also requires changes to the crypto libraries
- based on the Fennec Beta 3 schedule, which is targeting Dec 7th as ship, we feel it's best to align Beta 8 with that date
- there is a pending change to the way Sync UI works for adding another client
Firefox 3.6.13 and 3.5.16
- QA is finishing up testing the build
- Plan to go to beta on 2010-11-24 (likely throttled)
Firefox 3.6.14 and 3.5.17
- Draft schedule will be sent out for review next week
- charts show steady state, no increase/decrease in overall blocker count
Blocker report for Firefox 4.0.beta8 (as of 2010-11-23 10:56:13.240700-08:00) Overview ---------------------------------------------- 4.0.beta8 blocking: 173 fixed: 151 open: 22 Open Blocker Assignees ---------------------------------------------- Philipp von Weitershausen [:philikon]: 3 +++ Blake Kaplan (:mrbkap): 2 ++ firstname.lastname@example.org: 2 ++ Andreas Gal :gal: 2 ++ Josh Aas (Mozilla Corporation): 1 + Richard Newman: 1 + Justin Dolske [:Dolske]: 1 + Raymond Lee: 1 + Kyle Huey [:khuey]: 1 + Axel Hecht [:Pike]: 1 + Markus Stange: 1 + Neil Deakin: 1 + Myk Melez [:myk]: 1 + Jason Duell (:jduell): 1 + Christopher Blizzard (:blizzard): 1 + Wesley Johnston (:wesj): 1 + Nobody; OK to take it and work on it: 1 +
- 4.0b8pre stability:
(from our goals):
- [AT RISK] Finish Firefox 4
- [ON TRACK] API-Complete Jetpack
- Joint with Jetpack team
- Currently working towards feature-complete beta SDK
- [ON TRACK] Stand up basic Firefox with Electrolysis
- Joint with Platform
- UI may not be functional, should launch and open a web page.
- Project tracking page
- [NEW] Finish Firefox 4 developer tools
- [NEW] Ensure that Firefox 4 ships with a compatible version of Firebug
- [NEW] Publish a roadmap for integrated developer tools in Firefox, including console, inspection, and js debugging
- [NEW] Develop long term plan for Skywriter maintenance/support
- Goals: Real list found here. Quick overview:
- [ON TRACK] Finish Firefox 4 blockers.
- [ON TRACK] Support Firefox Team to stand up a browser on Electrolysis.
- 121 blockers
- 0 beta8, 1 beta9, 49 betaN, 71 final
- We hope that most of the since-b7 topcrashes have been fixed, and we'll continue to evaluate that. Several crasher fixes have landed over the past couple of days.
- Nothing major to report
- No beta8 blockers
- Still worried by trackpad/trackpoint problems on Windows laptops. If you can reproduce a problem on a laptop you own, please say so on the bugs below or file a new one
- (from dev-tree-management) no more timeouts for tagging, yay!
- (from dev-tree-management) changes to TryChooser coming soon
- (from dev-tree-planning) add mozmill suite to tinderbox main page?
- proposed downtime on Thursday morning. any objections?
- What is our risk-tolerance for risky changes that come with big perf gains? I'm opposed to taking bug 414946 (jemalloc on mac) because of the risk, but I'm getting a lot of pushback (bsmedberg).
- specific rule is that we'll evaluate each case by case, but at this stage we need to know how we'll evaluate early signs of risk vs. reward
- stuart suggests we check it in after beta 8 freeze and watch nightlies for signs like crashes
- beltzner/bsmedberg/pbiggar to guide a plan that helps us understand landing timeline, criteria for keeping, and what we'll look for in terms of signs to validate assumptions about risk
- Thinking about Firefox 4.x and Firefox 5. Timing & criteria.
- Blizzard suggests quarterly 4.x releases, wonders if we can do that without busting addon compatibility ever quarter