Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-08-19 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Need To Know
- 2 Quality Programs
- 3 Team Stand-ups
- 3.1 A*Team (jgriffin)
- 3.2 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 3.3 App Tools (prouget)
- 3.4 B2G Services (dougt)
- 3.5 Cloud Services (mmayo)
- 3.6 Developer Tools (robcee)
- 3.7 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 3.8 Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- 3.9 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 3.10 Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)
- 3.11 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 3.12 Firefox OS Connectivity (vchang)
- 3.13 Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- 3.14 Firefox OS Media (slee)
- 3.15 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 3.16 Firefox OS Media Recording(pchang)
- 3.17 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 3.18 Firefox OS RIL (htsai)
- 3.19 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 3.20 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 3.21 GFX (milan)
- 3.22 JS (naveed)
- 3.23 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 3.24 Media (mreavy)
- 3.25 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 3.26 Performance (vladan)
- 3.27 Seceng (grobinson)
- 3.28 Shumway (tschneidereit)
- 3.29 WebAPI (overholt)
- 4 Roundtable
- 5 <Read only beyond this point>
Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
|Next Merge: November 20, 2023||Next Release: November 21, 2023|
|Central: 122||Aurora: 54||Beta: 121||Release: 120|
- desktop beta8 ships today
- mobile beta8 ships tomorrow
- LAST BETA9 goes to build this Thu, Aug 21
- ~20 bugs tracked for 32 - let's get these closed out
- MERGE DATE CHANGE: Next merge date will be TUE, SEP 2, 2014
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
- hg performance issues identified (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.platform/PvO0K2beENo)
- too many heads on try causes hg to take a long time rebuilding caches
- postmortem invites going out soon. please contact :laura if you're interested
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- Past week's OrangeFactor: N/A. Progress is being made on bug 1046162, things will hopefully be back to normal for next week's meeting).
- 25 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- Thanks to Peter Moore for fixing a long-running pip install timeout that affected tests on all platforms.
- Lots of crash and leak fixes this week!
- Jon Coppeard landed the first parts of support for compacting GC. It only works for the JS shell, and it's currently hidden behind the --enable-gccompacting configure flag. Still, progress! The bug for enabling it in the browser is here.
- Peter Van der Beken fixed a bad leak affecting users who have the “keep until” setting for cookies set to “ask me every time”.
- Overall numbers are improving
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
- In progress: Auto-tools/Projects/Autoland
App Tools (prouget)
- WebIDE preffed on, with memory monitor enabled
- B2G main-process (chrome) is now debuggable
- Profiler now works with FxOS 2.0, 2.1, and disabled in older version
- $0 in WebConsole works
B2G Services (dougt)
Cloud Services (mmayo)
Developer Tools (robcee)
Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- Working on M2 milestone: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis/Roadmap#M2.1_Milestone
- If you'd like to test e10s in Nightly, flip the "browser.tabs.remote.autostart" pref to true and restart Nightly.
- Warning: e10s is a little rough this week due to some page loading bugs (like HTTP redirect bug 1050869).
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
Summary of Work In Progress
- You can see the status of the current iteration (34.3) in progress here
Summary of Recent Landings
- Team landed 62 bugs over the last week, to close out the 34.2 iteration.
- Details of landings from the past week can be seen here
Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)
Work In Progress
- Search engine telemetry and default changing - bug 1007523 and bug 1049108
- Tablet refresh: Continuing progress on the tab strip implementation (screenshot).
- Janus https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Janus
- Janus Proxy - Cache improvements/more intelligent mechanics
- Track bandwidth/processing delay dynamics
You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]
Landings from the past week
- Large text on door-hanger for mixed content blocking on high DPI devices ( Bug 917970 )
- Autophone - s1s2 - Regression in local "time to throbber stop" on 2014-05-11 ( Bug 1018463 )
- Remove Cache directory from Android profiles ( Bug 1045886 )
- testVideoDiscovery.js is going to start perma-failing when Aurora 33 is merged to Beta ( Bug 1046493 )
- Zoom level changes on some mobile sites on pressing the back button ( Bug 1046631 )
- Disable downloads and extension installs in guest mode ( Bug 1046941 )
- Download cancel dialog shows undefinedYes and undefinedNo aa button values ( Bug 1048000 )
- Search activity displays private browsing searches from browser ( Bug 1048444 )
- Unable to use gesture typing in search activity ( Bug 1049282 )
- Long pages have missing tiles and generally messed-up rendering ( Bug 1051592 )
- Regression: tab counter is empty ( Bug 1052345 )
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
Firefox OS Connectivity (vchang)
Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- Gonk team (led by Thomas Tsai)
- Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
- bug 1050114 - Crash in mozilla::dom::bluetooth::BluetoothChild::RecvNotify - wip (2.0+, CAF blocker)
- Tests for phase 1 new API have been done by Jamin.
- Jocelyn and Ben worked on the security review draft for WebBluetooth v2.
- Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
- bug 1033902 - Integrate AudioOffloadPlayer with MediaCodecReader and MediaCodecDecoder - r+ (2.1 feat+)
- bug 1033912 - Use separated MediaTaskQueue for audio and video decoding in MediaCodecReader - landed (2.1 feat+)
- bug 1009410 - Expose graphic buffer to MediaCodec - waiting for CAF's response by 8/29 (2.1 feat+)
- bug 1038134 - Audio playback pauses for 2 secs when home button is tapped - Investigated and fixed at CAF side (2.0+)
- Device Storage & Stability (members: Alphan Chen)
- MTP is almost done except Gaia integration. Alphan has already been on this, co-working with Ian and Fred. (2.1 feat+)
- bug 1050720 - "storage-state-change" event will be triggered twice - landed (2.1 feat+)
Firefox OS Media (slee)
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
Firefox OS Media Recording(pchang)
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
Firefox OS RIL (htsai)
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- Lots of vacations.
- Siggraph last week. Nice summary from :nical on dev-tech-gfx. Extremely short summary: VR/AR, next gen GL, other.
- Firefox OS:
- Some last minute blockers. The biggest recent graphics bug turned out to be an intermittent, low level network/ipc issue, usually only showing up during multi-day partner testing. Currently looking at a couple of canvas issues, related to the updated version of Skia (back in March.)
- Will try to get to final stage/land desktop tiling the week of September 22nd - probably behind a pref until APZ on desktop is available, to avoid performance issues. The aim is to have it (the tiling) stick in 35, but we may need to test with that pref enabled, to avoid regressions while APZ work is being done.
- Back on the Skia content work, we were derailed by the Firefox OS blocking bugs.
- Compiler (JIT)
- Garbage Collection
- Front End and Other
- caret cleanup landed (bug 1048752)
- CSS transitions now work for style changes that trigger reframes (bug 625289)
- initial CSS Ruby reflow code landed, but still more work to do on ruby
- Continue to prep OpenH264 and Screensharing for Fx33.
- Major UI redesign slated for Fx35
- Window list rescan uplifted to 33
- Talky.io is experimenting with ScreenSharing in their beta pages
- Working a 2.0 blocker with QC
- Firefox Desktop has been giving the Loop team a hand on front-end issues
- GMP plugin sandboxing has landed
- landed bug 820391: we're finally getting DNS time-to-live (TTL) accurately (Windows-only for now).
- HTTP cache v2: some last bugs before we release: mostly tests but also a few real bugs (bug 1042192, bug 1054425, bug 660749)
- minor fixups for HTTP2: we're close to being able to pref it on.
- bug 1045108: Please review your Telemetry probes and make sure they're still useful. Also please set the expiry dates for your probes (e.g. "expires_in_version": "never", or "35" for Firefox 35) -- we'll be automatically marking unclaimed probes for expiry in Firefox 40.
- bug 1037494: Also provide email addresses for automatic regression notifications in the "alert_emails" field.
- Shumway milestone roadmap: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Shumway/Roadmap
- Status update on the Github Wiki
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)