Privacy/Privacy Task Force/January Campaign/2017
January Privacy Month Campaign is a community led campaign/initiative to celebrate International Data Privacy Day. The campaign was originated by Mozilla India in 2016 and is intended to be a global campaign each year. It is a campaign where communities from all over the world come together to learn, share and spread awareness about current trends and future issues for privacy and steps that we can take against privacy infringements.
The campaign can be observed in two ways:
- An online presence of the campaign with daily posts on relevant content.
- A series of offline in-person privacy-focused events.
Volunteers are welcome to help with online posts, events, teaching kits, localisation of content and/or any other resources that might be relevant to the campaign.
We strongly believe that it is necessary for the people who use the web for various purpose to stay safe by understanding the impact of their digital footprint. We intend to share the best practices and create awareness in order to promote privacy and data protection. oin us if you wish to make an impact in the lives of netizens !
How will we achieve this mission
- Online 31 Privacy Tips
This serves the very essence of the online campaign. The goal is to provide a privacy tip each day for 31 days. On an average, a person will likely need to spend 10minuntes or less on each of these. Ideally, the tip would be in the form of a short video, but could be in any another format. Tips will be shared through social media, such as Facebook and Twitter. The timeframe is the whole month of January. Daily online posts will originate from Mozilla India starting on January 1st and will be shared and retweeted by volunteers and supporters around the world. The list is updated daily with Tip of the day and related posts from #privacymonth & #advocate4privacy for later reference.
- Privacy Events
In addition, the community will be hosting in-person privacy events throughout the month of January. The team hopes that this project will go global and include Mozilla community privacy events from around the world.
- Social Media Promotions
This campaign will be extensively promoted and shared via various social media channels. Twitter/Facebook hashtags: #PrivacyMonth #Advocate4Privacy Share, retweet and support Mozilla India Twitter posts. Support and share stories from Mozilla India Facebook Page. Mozilla India Facebook Group
We intend to spread the mission of this campaign through various communities all over the world.You can help us localise the tools. We are in the process of localizing the resources.
- Support through Graphics
The promotional graphics, social media cover pictures and pictures posted on social media are available to be viewed and shared here:  Have ideas for social media posters? Contact Akshay Tiwari or Shalini Kr. The code for the profile pic overlay for 2017 is contributed by Md Shabaz Alam
The promotional graphics, social media cover pictures and pictures posted on social media are being uploaded to github on the Mozilla Open Design Community Repo.
- Please feel free to add, contribute to the repo.
- You are free to use, remix the existing graphics under MPL2.0
- You can contact Tripad Mishra[@tripad on telegram] for any ideas about tip graphics or contributions.
- Support the #PrivacyMonth initiative by changing Facebook/Twitter cover pictures to: graphics
- Create facebook posts to drive conversations about online privacy. (Use hashtags #PrivacyMonth #Advocate4Privacy).
- Tweet about online privacy throughout the month of January. (Use hashtags #PrivacyMonth #Advocate4Privacy).
- Share and Retweet #PrivacyMonth posts from Mozilla India.
- To contribute to creating daily privacy tips, please contact Siddhartha Rao or Ankit Mehta.
- Create teaching kits.
- Localise resources
- Sign up to support the campaign: https://reps.mozilla.org/e/privacy-month-campaign-2017/ (Reps and Vouched Mozillians can sign up at the above link using their profile)
- Organize events about online privacy.
- Organize popups and talks about online privacy.
- Click pictures, write and share your experiences from these offline gatherings using the hashtags #PrivacyMonth #Advocate4Privacy
- If you have an new privacy event idea, or if you'd like to register your event to be part of this campaign, please contact Vishal Chavan or Mayur Patil.
Teaching Kits and Online Resources
*Lightbeam Teaching Kit *Information Footprint Teaching Kit *Protecting your Data: Reading, Writing, Participating on the Web *Password Teaching Kit *Resources for Presentations *Protecting You Data *Your privacy and security on the Web *Get Smart on Privacy *Teach privacybasics
Contribute to creating online teaching resources like teaching kits, slides etc
- Have content to teach privacy? You can create your own teaching kits. How - Try remixing teaching kits mentioned here with your content and share it with us.
- If you want to provide content we can create a teaching kit for you and credit you as the creator.
- More information needed? Please contact Diwanshi Pandey.
Volunteers for the campaign
- Ankit Gadgil
Big Thanks to everyone who made this campaign possible. Also, thanks to all the task force members for their support. Special Thanks to Stacy Martin and Ankit Gadgil, for their constant support during calls & meetings and guidance to successfully run this campaign.