SeaMonkey Meeting Details
- 1 Agenda
- 1.1 Action Items
- 1.2 Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree
- 1.3 Release Train
- 1.4 Extensions Compatibility Tracking
- 1.5 2.x (Last, Current, Next)
- 1.6 Feature List, Planning
- 1.7 Roundtable - Personal Status Updates
- 1.8 Any other business?
- Who's taking minutes? -> Ratty
- Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
- Please note A person or entity can't be nominated twice in a row.
(who needs to do what that hasn't been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.
- IanN to write the "Friends of the Fish Tank" F.A.Q.
Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree
- Current Issues with existing machines
- one linux VM — Hosted on parallels, kernel panicking, No bug yet, but will get it done ASAP.
- problems with creating a second linux VM — will either fix or reclone this week.
- one win VM, switched from FAT32 to NTFS for one of its drives, need to recreate folders appropriately.
- "Where do we stand with the machine(s) right now?"
- bug 721516 migrate seamonkey systems out of sjc1/scl2 and into scl3/scl1.
- (2012-02-02) The iX boxes are now located at SJC1 they have been put into production for Callek and team.
- bug 721516 migrate seamonkey systems out of sjc1/scl2 and into scl3/scl1.
- 2.7b4 was shipped on January 20
- 2.7b5 was shipped on January 26
- 2.7 was shipped on January 31.
- 2.8b1 was shipped on February 4.
Extensions Compatibility Tracking
We need some help with the add-ons listed under the "2.0x" heading. Anything above it will work out of the box with SM 2.7 and later (yay to compatible-by-default!). Perhaps Ratty can go through his xSidebar site and check which add-ons are not compatible with at least SM 2.1 - that would help, too.
- Since xSidebar itself is not compatible with any recent SM version, it should not be listed as a featured add-on on AMO. Who can make that change?
- KaiRo can, InvisibleSmiley will check talk to KaiRo about that.
- If anyone wants to suggest add-ons to be featured, send them to InvisibleSmiley (in manageable doses that is).
- Addon Compatibility Listings, mostly maintained by InvisibleSmiley
- Recent changes can be found here.
- Restructured for compatible-by-default.
- ACR 1.0.3 has been released with a fix for broken AOM search.
- Enigmail provides versions for release (AMO) and all branches (Enigmail nightly page). The current release is compatible with both 2.5 and 2.6.
- Lightning provides versions for the current stable and beta releases (AMO) and nightlies for trunk and Aurora (Calendar Versions page). Lightning 1.3b1 which works with SM 2.8b1 is available from AMO (Development Channel).
- Firebug is compatible but not flagged as such on AMO (depends on automatic tests being set up and run on the Firebug side: bug 680837, needs a Python coder). Stable Firebug version 1.9.x works with any recent SM version. FB 1.10a1 works with trunk, 1.10a2 is broken but 1.10a3 should be OK again (cf. FB issue 5188).
- Besides the above, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.x.
- The SeaMonkey Features page links to sub-pages for all recent SM versions, including those in development. Please help InvisibleSmiley add major features to the respective pages, ideally as they land. These pages are used when creating release notes, so the more up-to-date the better.
- bug 666303 (Seamonkey 2.1 is detected as Firefox 2.1 on the Add-on Site) and bug 671085 Confusing compatibility error when visiting Firefox listing page using SeaMonkey)
- We don't have a dedicated person here who understands how AMO really works, who to contact in order to actually get things moving etc. Unfortunately. Someone needs to sit down and find the offending logic, wherever it may be (probably in the AMO source, wherever that is).
2.x (Last, Current, Next)
- 2.6 had ~67,000 and 2.7 had ~21,000 ADU by last Thursday and 2.6.1 has had ~105,000 and 2.7 has had ~20,000 downloads so far.
- Of the released versions, as of last Thursday, we have 17.7% on 2.0, 6.3% on 2.1-2.3, 5.3% on 2.4, 5.3% on 2.5, 49.3% on 2.6 and 16.1% on 2.7. So, in the last two weeks, ~3k (an additional 2.7% of ADU) have migrated to 2.5 or above.
- Still a large chunk of users on 2.0.x.
- Figure out what is preventing people from moving from 2.0.x to the latest versions.
- Some people cannot upgrade due to system requirements (OS version, processor capabilities etc.)
- Perhaps putting resources into getting certain extensions working with SM 2.4 and above (those that won't work with SM 2.7 automatically due to compatible-by-default extensions).
- Still need volunteers to look at what is keeping people at below 2.4. IanN could try knocking something up and send it round members lists for polishing but he's not on all the channels (mozillazine, etc) to post it to when finished.
- Are some Linux distributions are still stuck on 2.0? We have data on OSes and OS versions in the raw data in the Mozilla metrics, AFAIK, Callek now also has access to that.
- Please make sure that anything that landed on comm-beta (for TB) or mozilla-beta (for FF) which affected non-shared code and which fixed regressions will be fixed on our side, too. Please mark bugs we feel *need* to land on a particular train tracking+ or tracking? so that when we to do a release we can be sure that we don't miss anything.
- Priority should be given to fixing regressions ASAP. Also keep an eye on and prioritize bugs to be ported from FF/TB that land on branches (Aurora, Beta). We need to keep an eye especially on Session Restore, Sync, Tabbrowser and Address Book.
- Be careful not to break code shared with Thunderbird, otherwise patches might have to be backed out of string frozen repositories.
- One tracked 2.5 issue still open.
- 2.1 through 2.7 have NOT included the ka locale. The last release with ka locale shipped was 2.0.14 and the ka l10n maintainers have not yet updated for changes in later SeaMonkey versions.
- Callek now needs to morph bug 667147 into removing |ka| from our [current] automation entirely (all-locales). Callek will look at best locale to transition any ka users to.
- Callek isn't here at the moment (timezones), so ewong will talk to Callek about the ka locale later.
- The New 2.7 Features page has a comprehensive list of features.
- InvisibleSmiley created a restartless add-on (available on AMO) for SM 2.8 (now in Beta) which adds an "Add-ons" options to the list of engines on the Sync pref panel.
- Remember to help update the New Features pages as we go along.
Feature List, Planning
Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 50 new, 28 fixed, 14 triaged.
- Medium triaging effort.
- Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!
Major wanted/needed features:
- bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].
- Progressing slowly, still waiting on reviews from TB side. Full customization has to go to 2.next (currently 2.6 but could be pushed back further) as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.
- IanN is still wading through the unpicking of Composer/Mail Compose code in the dependent bugs. After that he will be reworking his customising patches.
- bug 477845 Build a standalone (Comm-central) Composer. [kaze]
- kaze has done a bit of work in this bug recently. Building on Windows works. Now supports debug builds on Linux if tests are disabled (--disable-tests). Still a lot to do.
- The standalone Composer patch has to be rebased and fixed for MacOSX.
- Kaze is considering moving Kompozer to an addon so that we can reuse the dialog boxes but start fresh for the content part. Also we can then use the current devtools. KaiRo told kaze in Berlin it seemed a good idea, as it could allow to run a Composer *tab* instead of a Composer window.
- Kaze working on it on hi spare time, with an Indian contributor.
- IanN was supposed to help get builds working with --enable-tests.
- Will look into this once he gets his customization patches reworked.
- Real full-screen (bug 610509) and DOM full-screen (bug 701714)
- patches provided by Mnyromyr and InvisibleSmiley. Otherwise stalled. :-(
Needing help, Unowned, Stalled
- bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
- SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
- bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
- bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
- kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That's something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (Standard8).
- bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 - Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
- bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
- bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
- A list of TODO icons is up in the bug.
- bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
- bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.
- The rest is unowned so far.
- bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
- Note: Our location bar history doesn't and can't use autocomplete at all.
- bug 677484 Individual SeaMonkey components are not properly handled by the Windows 7 taskbar.
- bug 654009 Reply to list: automatically determine From: address
- Note: The actual task here is to port bug 45715 "Reply to List" [button/(context) menu item]
- bug 664309 Make the built-in ChatZilla display a cZ icon in SeaMonkey (now helpwanted)
Roundtable - Personal Status Updates
Status Updates from developers - what are you working on, what's the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).
aceman and alta88 have continued their work on mailnews core (especially around account manager and feeds), that touches SM as well as TB, which is good stuff.
Completed Release Engineering tasks:
- bug 673834 Obsolete ReleaseRepackFactory, fold logic into CCReleaseRepackFactory.
- bug 720918 (SM2.7b5) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.7b5.
- bug 721584 (SM2.7) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.7 Final.
- bug 722065 Obsolete GenerateCCTestBuilder.
- bug 722940 codesize upload broken for SeaMonkey [and Thunderbird] due to tools dir being incorrect.
- bug 724480 Update function on nightly non-functional since version bump to 2.10a1.
Build Config fixes: Other fixes:
- bug 715802 Move quirks triggering into nsSuiteApp.cpp because bug 696376 caused our quirks to be triggered too late.
- bug 724336 SeaMonkey News XML causes errors (website).
- No Bug -- Bring up Win2k3 iX Machines, and install MSVC2010.
- bug 560772 Make use of mozilla::services for comm-central.
- bug 607392 split tagging into en-US and other (RelEng).
- bug 722262 Port |bug 552864 Throw away wrapper shell script on unix and lazily load libxul| to SeaMonkey.
- bug 704835 Use a pre-generated nsXREAppData struct instead of application.ini. [SeaMonkey Part].
- bug 724791 Bring GenerateCCBranchObjects up to date (RelEng).
- bug 655399 Backout CSS change from bug 655395 once SeaMonkey can use it.
- bug 722448 Close PasswordAuth ssh access on cn-sea-qm-centos5-01.nl.mozilla.org.
- bug 591848 SeaMonkey linux and Windows machines need device support for sound enabled.
- bug 717493 - Port |Bug 717491 - "Warning: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file: bin/components/proxyObject.xpt (package-manifest, 151)."| to SeaMonkey
- Needs Review:
- bug 707786 - Use Services.prefs instead of preferences-service / gPrefService, in SeaMonkey
- Working On:
- Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.
- Waiting for review on:
- bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js
- Waiting for dependent bug to be checked in:
- bug 720661 Display account central when no default account / no accounts setup
- Waiting for additional review on:
- Reviewed and waiting for feedback from mobile peer:
- bug 689253 Update en-GB for Mobile 10.0 (comm-aurora)
- Working on:
- Contacting people affected by proposed changes to Project Areas.
- bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
- bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
- bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
- File/Folder selection in windows.
- To Do:
- bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.
- Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
- Knock something up finding out why users are not upgrading to 2.4+ and send it around members lists for polishing.
- Help get composer standalone builds working with --enable-tests.
- bug 724311 Start page JS (upgrade nagging) fails to identify 2.10a1 nightly correctly
- bug 724076 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.8 Beta 1
- bug 722405 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.7 Final release
- bug 721881 Port |bug 666306 - Video content should become large play button ...| to Modern
- bug 721583 Make lightweight themes / Personas work in the Download Manager window
- bug 721286 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.7 Beta 5
- bug 721021 Port |bug 593321 - Opening saved .EML with empty subject has wrong window title|
- bug 712699 Create/Update 2.7 Release Notes
- bug 713087 Port |bug 534956 - Sync add-ons| (restartless add-on for SM 2.8)
- bug 718310 Port |bug 526998 - Implement F2 keyboard shortcut for renaming focused attachments when composing (on Windows and Unix)|
- bug 701714 Add support for DOM full-screen
- bug 640420 Add draggable splitter between urlbar and searchbar
- bug 711334 Be explicit that TLS version is 1.0
- look into
- bug 687316 (Remaining) Sync changes to port to Suite
- Working on bug 721474 Port |bug 575830 Image zoom (Page zoom) is reset when I switch tabs| to SeaMonkey.
Page Info Fixes:
- Fixed bug 168908 All columns in Page Info tabs can be hidden.
- Fixed bug 723984 PageInfo->Permissions: Don't assume that the whitelist pref is there. It defaults to true in the new add-ons manager code. Don't assume all consumers use testPermission.
- Fixed bug 724222 View page info -> Security: doesn't show cookies were set for sites with ip:8080 address (see Firefox bug 409174).
- bug 724331 TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | chrome://mochitests/content/browser/suite/browser/test/browser_bug427559.js | an unexpected uncaught JS exception reported through window.onerror - executeSoon is not defined at ..../suite/browser/test/browser_bug427559.js:56.
- bug 724499 TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | chrome://mochitests/content/browser/suite/browser/test/browser_pluginnotification.js | Test timed out.
- bug 719031 [Meta] SeaMonkey issues from Lightning bug 316916 landing (Task Quick Filter bar).
- Fixed bug 721330 Make Customizing Lightning Toolbars work in SeaMonkey.
- Part 1: CalendarToolbar and TaskToolbar.
- Part 2: TaskActionsToolbar.
- Waiting for review: bug 721327 Implement Tabs Toolbar for Thunderbird and Lightning Compatibility.
Backout Patches (waiting for comm-aurora approval):
- bug 723970 Backout bug 698187 due to mozilla-central back out of parts of bug 698986 to resolve bug 716945.
Waiting for feedback:
- bug 701432 Add support for fave icons on jump list uri entries.
- Bug triage and Bug discussions.
- End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.
- Fixed SeaMonkey (related) bugs:
- bug 707039 [SeaMonkey] mochitest-chrome: "TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL ... textLTR.openPopup is not a function at ... test_bug649840.xul:39"
- bug 714257 Package 'necko_websocket.xpt' in SeaMonkey after |Bug 640003 - WebSockets - upgrade to ietf-07|
- bug 716395 Port |Bug 716397 - [Linux] "Warning: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file: bin/libmozglue.so"| to SeaMonkey
- bug 718912 Port |Bug 717975 - only expose m-c implementation of navigator.mozApps on b2g| to SeaMonkey
- bug 719325 Package dom_network.xpt : Port Bug 677166 (Implement Network Status API) Part 2 Add .mozConnection to navigator
- bug 721357 Support 'mailbloat' test target in SeaMonkey
- bug 721533 [SeaMonkey] "Warning: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file: bin/components/chardet.xpt"
- bug 724448 tests cleanup for browser_367052.js and browser_bug431826.js, in SeaMonkey
- Fixed Core bugs:
- bug 649840 RTL on forms inputs autocomplete
- bug 720095 SimpleTest/EventUtils.js: fix some strict warnings and nits
- bug 720952 [MacOSX] Some (or random?) builders report "Typelibs contain definitions of interface nsIDocCharset with different IIDs!" when "Linking .xpt files..."
- bug 720955 pyxpt: Report IIDs when they differ
- bug 722019 Investigate status of cbox-dis.gif (and related)
- Fixed other projects bugs:
- bug 425916 Improve look of mac treerows when in editing mode.
- bug 713445 [Mac Default] tabbrowser tab title text styling is wrong in Lion.
- bug 713446 White text with text-shadow in selected bottom tabs.
- bug 721529 [Mac default] Reference to non-existing chrome://global/skin/tree/item.png in searchbar.css and directory.css.
- In progress: bug 716232 crash in JS GC at every cZ startup: working with dmandelin to find the culprit changeset
- TODO: IRC meeting later today about giving up ownership of the Nightly Tester Tools extension to a fuller team from automation and/or QA
Any other business?
- Need to review project areas
- IanN has put out a final draft of the project areas list, and will then confirm that anyone who is not in the loop already has been consulted.
- IanN is still waiting for the last few people to respond before creating the new version.
- We will also need to update the Mozilla-wide list of official reviewers
- Extended Support Releases (ESR)
- At the moment looks like that will be based off Gecko 10 so that will be 2.7 for us. Assuming we have the machines, we will also have an ESR which might help move some of those still on 2.0 up to 2.7. We're unlikely to move to ESR until Gecko 10.0.1 or 10.0.2.
- Our ESR should use the same branch as Firefox ESR so any Security and Stability "extended" fixes for Gecko will be picked up by the SeaMonkey ESR.
- An ESR (Extended Security Release) may not be a given for us out of the gate. Callek thinks we should revisit that, separately, once it is clearer what MoCo's general plans for their marketing/target/support levels etc. are.
- mcsmurf is on the ESR mailing list is our ESR goto guy.
- Geolocation now works out of the box. MoCo turned it on by default for all applications that build off mozilla-central.
- For comm-beta all we need to do is (bug 494421) to add pref("geo.wifi.uri", "https://www.google.com/loc/json"); to browser-prefs.js. However we're not even sure we are legally allowed to ship with the URL in, we might need to actually put in a pref to disable that in newer builds.