From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


  • Who's taking minutes? -> Ratty
  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
    • RyanVM (Ryan VanderMeulen) for timely checkins and newbie hacker handling

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn't been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.


  • TBD


  • IanN to talk to jtek about getting something sent out to Px.
    • Px will look at the SeaMonkey Shop and let IanN know what he wants.
  • IanN to arrange with Jeff to send a tee-shirt or something to Serge (FotFT).
    • Serge will look at the SeaMonkey Shop and let IanN know what he wants before the next meeting.


Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

  • All our machines are now all out of SJC1 are are now at SCL3 or SCL1
    • The R4 Macs are plugged-in, connected and base-imaged. Waiting on Callek to complete the setup.
    • cb-seamonkey-linux-01 has been de-commissioned with extreme prejudice.
    • The Linux32 VMs are all up.
    • The remaining machines on Parallels are the buildmaster (cb-seamonkey-linuxmaster-01) and Linux64 (cb-seamonkey-linux64-01). These need to be migrated to ESX. Specifically:
      • sea-vm-linux64-1 will most likely replace cb-seamonkey-linux64-01.
      • sea-master1 will replace the current buildmaster.
  • Build on MSVC2010 (ewong and Callek).
    • Trunk builds and all branches except release are now MSVC2010.
  • Build SeaMonkey using clang bug 775539. In progress.
    • bug 776426 Set up ccache on all MacOSX systems. Waiting for review. CCCACHE is installed on the MacOSX systems but needs setting up.
    • bug 776428 Port |Bug 755145 - Define CCACHE_CP2 when using ccache and Clang| to SeaMonkey. Waiting for review.
    • bug 776523 Add ac_add_options --enable-ccache to build/macosx/common [Fixed].
    • Find an interim solution for hosting tooltool binaries pending bug 768879 Have a world readable tooltool repository.
  • L10n Update: (2012-08-07):
    • L10n buildbots are building again on all three platforms for be, de, en-GB, es-AR, gl, hu, it, lt, nl, ru, sk, uk, zh-CN and zh-TW.
    • Still nothing since end of April for cs, es-ES, fr, nb-NO, pl, pt-PT and sv-SE. This might be due to extension issues causing bustage and thus no real repacks finished.
      • IanN says that adrianK and stefanh might be able to help on a couple of those locales, and that the pt-PT and es_ES people do drop by in #seamonkey.
    • bug 780557 Old language files packed with Hungarian version of SeaMonkey 2.11. This is because no-one on the hu locale team signed off on a newer revision.

Release Train

  • 2.12b2 shipped July 27
  • 2.12b3 shipped August 3

Extensions Compatibility Tracking

  • See Basics page. Please only list current changes here.
  • Addon Compatibility Listings
    • Nothing to highlight.
  • [Ratty] Nothing specific to report except that recently I've looked at several random Firefox extensions and noticed that they've all been recently made SeaMonkey compatible without being prompted by myself of one of my volunteers.
  • Our build team (Serge, Callek, ewong) needs to automate DOMI branch selection rather than having to tweak the every 6 weeks. bug 763506
    • sgautherie thinks that the current DOMi branches/tags are not suitable for automatic SeaMonkey branch selection.

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • 2.11 had ~71,400 ADU by last Tuesday and ~88,100 downloads so far.
    • Of the released versions, as of last Tuesday, we have 11.4% on 2.0, 3.7% on 2.1-2.3, 5.3% on 2.4-2.6, 2.3% on 2.7, 3.2% on 2.8, 5.8% on 2.9, 10.0% on 2.10 and 58.3% on 2.11. So, in the last two weeks, ~2.3k (an additional 1.9% of ADU) have migrated to 2.7 or above.
    • Since 19th June ADU numbers have been dropping.
      • ADUs still falling but tailing off.
      • Firefox has also seen numbers dropping. This is probably the normal summer drop that we've seen in past years.
    • Some people cannot upgrade due to system requirements (OS version, processor capabilities etc.). This even more applies to 2.10 which dropped support for Win2k and WinXP without SP2.
    • The current plan is to create a new page for latest builds available for "Legacy Platforms" e.g. PPC containing links to 2.6.1 PowerPC/G4 and also perhaps to seamonkey-ppc (2.10 and 2.11b3 for OSX 10.5.8) TenFourFox and Tenfourbird. We can then link to that from our main release page. See bug 759315.
      • InvisibleSmiley pushed a page to the staging website and Ratty gave initial feedback.
  • See Basics page for the usual reminders.


open tracking (0) tracking requests (12) targeted (2) fixed (25)

  • One tracked 2.5 issue still open.
    • 2.1 through 2.7 have NOT included the ka (Kartvelian aka Georgian) locale. The last release with ka locale shipped was 2.0.14 and the ka l10n maintainers have not yet updated for changes in later SeaMonkey versions.
    • The plan was that Callek needs to morph bug 667147 into removing |ka| from our [current] automation entirely (all-locales), and will look at the best locale to transition any ka users to.
    • The ka owner came back with a bundle of l10n changes to get checked in. Callek to look into doing that, and try to identify if ka will be sustained going forward before completely abandoning.


  • TBD
  • Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
    • bug 626472 Switch from nsnull to nullptr.
      • Tracked in bug 776630 Switch mailnews from using nsnull to nullptr [Includes all of comm-central actually] FIXED.
    • bug 722332 Adapt main clients to asynchronous nsIBrowserSearchService API.
      • Tracked in bug 780179 SeaMonkey should use the asynchronous API from nsIBrowserSearchService FIXED.
    • bug 774585 Update GetCodebasePrincipal callers to use the correct "data jar"
      • Tracked in bug 776577 Update usage in SeaMonkey of GetCodebasePrincipal to reflect changes to API (Port bug 774585).
    • bug 760940 Bookmarks and history menus behave incorrectly due to non-node weak map keys.
      • Tracked in bug 777005 Fix Bookmarks and history menus behave incorrectly due to non-node weak map keys (Port bug 760940).
    • bug 774032 Implement autoconf substitution in Python.
      • Tracked in bug 780357 |Port bug 776968, bug 774032, bug 780159, bug 776561, bug 778740| to comm-central. Patch to unbreak comm-central waiting for review. Callek says he can only get round to this on Wednesday earliest.
      •  :glandium just landed the patch with a pending-r=Callek in order to unbreak the tree.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 34 new, 24 fixed, 19 triaged.

  • Medium triaging effort.

Open reviews/flags: 24 review 9 super-review 1 ui-review 7 feedback

Good First Bugs

  • [Ratty] In June I trawled through my notes and came up with an initial list of GFBs. See previous meeting notes for details. Since then I've been slowly adding to this list as I come across them, or if someone points one out to me.
  • Note: The GFB list is open to all including our regular contributors.
  • In the last two weeks since the previous meeting:
    • Ekanan Ketunuti fixed two bugs: bug 779720 bug 779076 .
    • TonyMec fixed three bugs (bug 779077, bug 439312, bug 633730) and is currently working on another (bug 768015).
    • One was assigned but no movement spotted bug 767919 so I've removed Madhavan as the assignee and someone else has stepped forward to work on this.
    • I've experimented with advertising one GFB theme bug (bug 461494) in the Mozillazine Theme Development forum and have gotten several submissions almost immediately.
  • Currently there are 23 GFBs open, One actively being worked on, one seems to have stalled since April and one has been fixed except for the tests.
  • Neil suggests we could get some Services conversions going as GFBs.
    • This is bug 735333 (Use Services.prefs instead of preferences-service / gPrefService, in SeaMonkey code) but appears to have stalled (see previous item).

Roundtable - Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers - what are you working on, what's the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).



Release Engineering tasks completed:


  • Fixed:
    • bug 739162 - [SeaMonkey 2.9+, slaves] Some boxes fails with Hg "abort: HTTP Error 414: Request-URI Too Large".
    • bug 765689 - most visited list contains repeat entries
    • bug 770559 - Add support for closing inactive databases (folders) [SeaMonkey part]
    • bug 777787 - Fix issues discovered in msgDBCacheManager.js while reviewing Bug 770559
    • bug 779382 - Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.12 Beta 3
  • Review:
    • bug 633937 - Port bug 562048 to suite.
    • bug 715410 - Port |Bug 352037 - Undo Add To Dictionary| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 739056 - Port |Bug 715099 - Convert nsProfileMigrator to JS so we can use JS modules on migration| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 755758 - Port |Bug 629620 - Copied bookmarks shouldn't inherit all annotations, since they are new entitities| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 760942 - install python 'ssl' module on SeaMonkey Windows machines
    • bug 774991 - stop support OSX 10.5 in SeaMonkey
    • bug 776428 - Port |Bug 755145 - Define CCACHE_CP2 when using ccache and Clang| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 780185 - Turn on frame pointers on Nightly builds (--enable-profiling)
  • Working On:
    • bug 574955 - Make webconsole work in SeaMonkey
    • bug 757693 - Debug > TBPL points to an invalid URL
    • bug 762264 - Help->About SeaMonkey page should link to about:rights and SeaMonkey privacy policy
    • bug 775539 - Build SeaMonkey using clang
    • bug 776426 - Set up ccache on all MacOSX systems
    • bug 768380 - sea-vm-linux64-1 need to set up for our builds. (buildbot part done)


  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.
  • Fixed:
    • bug 774063 Use image instead of html:img in addressbook contacts
    • bug 774064 Use const nsIAbDirectory and remove and set tooltiptext in msgHdrViewOverlay
    • bug 774069 Convert address book to Services and mailServices
    • bug 774125 Switch to new drag and drop api for home button
    • bug 774362 Switch to new drag and drop api for go and search buttons
    • bug 778446 Fix late change to plugins.dtd [en-GB]
  • Waiting for review on:
  • Fixing review comments before checkin:
    • bug 757230 When using add button for permissions in Data Manager set a displayHost
  • Reviewed and waiting for other patches before checkin:
  • Reviewed and waiting for feedback from mobile peer:
    • bug 689253 Update en-GB for Mobile 10.0 (comm-aurora)
  • Working on:
    • Various SM Council documents.
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • bug 778534 Use image instead of html:img in instant messaging
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.
    • Prefs-in-a-tab.
    • Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • Help get composer standalone builds working with --enable-tests.


  • Fixed:
    • bug 780283 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.12 Beta 3
    • bug 778224 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.12 Beta 2
  • Working on:
    • bug 759315 Add a page to the SeaMonkey website about the latest releases available for Legacy Platforms (e.g. PPC)



Working on bug 777005 Fix Bookmarks and history menus behave incorrectly due to non-node weak map keys (Port bug 760940).






  • bug 632585 Port Firefox Set as wallpaper dialog to Seamonkey.
  • bug 776052 double click on column headers should not to open selected history item in History window(Ctrl+H).
  • bug 777063 Crash when sending mail, on window close @ nsChromeTreeOwner::SetTitle.
  • bug 779300 Implement desktop background colour on GNOME.
  • bug 780278 Sidebar "Tabs" dropdown doesn't display properly on Linux.

In Progress:

  • bug 746166 Remove use of cmd_backgroundColor from comm-central.
  • bug 767839 Don't preprocess application.ini and update-settings.ini twice.
  • bug 779616 Stop using DOMAttrModified events.



  • bug 778076 mochitest-plain 1852 TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | /tests/suite/browser/test/test_contextmenu.html | checking item #0 (popupwindow-reject) name - got popupwindow-allow, expected popupwindow-reject.
  • bug 780179 SeaMonkey should use the asynchronous API from nsIBrowserSearchService.


  • Good first Bugs: See the Good First Bugs section above.
  • Did some reviews.
  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.
  • End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.






    • bug 768015 Override Toolkit and increase image.mem.max_decoded_image_kb to 250MB
      • checkin-needed
    • bug 439312 Site Navigation Bar misses its tooltip when minimized
      • no-l10n variant ported to 2.13Aurora & 2.12Beta
    • bug 633730 Port |Bug 630484 - Properly support plural forms in advance search dialog status message| to SeaMonkey
      • Aurora-wontfix (l10n)
    • bug 779077 Don't focus the content area when closing a places context menu (Port Bug 776271)
      • approval requested for branch

Any other business?

  • Bug Day: Should we looking to do a bug busting day in the next 3 months?
    • Useful link: [1].
    • IanN suggests that we go for the top 3 or 6 in the list tonymecc sent out, and probably September or October whichever is most convenient. Tonymec suggests 21-22-23 September. No objections raised so it is now confirmed scheduled for the weekend before the fall equinox.
    • Tonymec will start to advertise on newsgroups and forums.
  • Geolocation
    • Geolocation now works out of the box. MoCo turned it on by default for all applications that build off mozilla-central.
    • For comm-beta all we need to do is (bug 494421) to add pref("geo.wifi.uri", ""); to browser-prefs.js. However we're not even sure we are legally allowed to ship with the URL in, we might need to actually put in a pref to disable that in newer builds.
    • No news to date. Callek will have to reach out to his MoCo legal contact again soonish.
  • Test failures
    • qawanted, especially on Linux and MacOSX specific issues: reproducing and reporting would already help.
    • Serge says that on Linux and MacOSX, he just needs someone to actually run the tests and report what they see (screen, console, etc). For example, there is a Mac test about Ctrl+W not working. This should be so trivial.
    • tonymec suggests that any enthusiastic user, even non-technical, should be able to do some testing (litmus?) and not be scared by technical language and such.
    • IanN suggests reaching out to the user community using the newsgroups and forums.
    • Serge to do a write up and send it to Ratty to propagate to the community.
      • Ratty is ***still*** waiting for Serge.
  • MozCampEu
    • Tonymec and InvisibleSmiley have received invitations but can't go. IanN is going. Neil doesn't know why he's getting MozCamp mail as he isn't going.
  • Date of next meeting
    • IanN is away for the expected date of the next meeting (21st August), propose that meeting is cancelled so next meeting will be on 4th September.
    • Should an alternative time of day/day of week be selected for future meetings? Perhaps 16:00 UTC?
      • No consensus was reached so we will stick to 12:00 UTC while IanN will post to the newsgroup for a wider consultation.