All Hands/Austin/Volunteer nominations
Since our first All Hands in Portland (previously called coincidental work week), we've aimed to have highly committed and impactful volunteer contributors join the event, to be integrated with employees. The Open Innovation Team is accountable for the process of getting the "right" people to the All Hands, and has established a best practice for this.
(For your reference: This current process is largely based on lessons we've synthesized from the past gatherings.)
This page outlines the nomination and selection process that will be used for the Austin All Hands.
The goals of the nomination process are:
- Invite volunteer contributors who can make a high impact contribution (and who have future potential) and have high commitment to specific projects, teams or Mozilla
- Have volunteer contributors and employees working in an integrated way -- during and immediately before and after the All Hands
- Have teams thinking about volunteer contributors strategically
- A process that has legitimacy with volunteers and employees
|Step||Start date||End date|
|1) Team nominations -- staff nominate volunteer Mozillians (different process by team ... run by Organization Designate)||Sept 15||Sept 26|
|2) Applications -- very lightweight application sent to all nominees to ensure nominees are available and want to attend||Sept 27||Oct 4|
|3) Final prioritization -- by individual team Organization Designates based on lists of nominees who have confirmed availability||Oct 4||Oct 6|
|4) Final selection -- based on total number of spots available, formula for allocating spots per team, and prioritization of people by team||Oct 9||-|
|5) Invitations go out||Oct 10||-|
|6) Registration and flight booking → information about this will be on another page||Oct 10||Oct 20|
|7) Working with volunteers and teams on their plans for integration/communication → plan for this will be on another page||Oct 10||Dec 11|
- We are emphasizing greater gender balance (by having this as an emphasis, the San Francisco All Hands had 30% non-male genders among volunteer contributor participants)
There will be no "open nominations" from non-employees this time.
The following individuals are collecting volunteer nominations from employees for their respective parts of the organization. You will have heard from them, but please reach out directly if you want to nominate a volunteer.
|Organization||Name of Org Designate(s)|
|Emerging Technologies||Azita Rashed|
|Open Innovation||Lucy Harris|
Organization Designates will be accountable for:
- Creating/curating a volunteer nomination process for their part of Mozilla
- Communicating within their organization about this process
- Making final prioritization decisions (if needed)
- Ensuring a good process across their organization to be in contact with/prepare volunteer contributors who have been invited
Number of Volunteer Contributors
We have space for roughly 100 volunteer contributors.
Criteria for volunteer Mozillian nominees
Please first get in touch with your Organization Designate if you have questions about how to nominate a volunteer Mozillian or how the selection process will proceed.
If you have questions about the process in general, please get in touch with George Roter.