All Hands/SanFrancisco2017/Volunteers Nominations
Since our first All Hands in Portland (previously called coincidental work week), we've aimed to have highly committed and impactful volunteer Mozillians join the event, to be integrated with employees. The Open Innovation Team is accountable for the process of getting the "right" people to the All Hands, and has largely established a best practice for this. We will be continuing the process we started and continued during the last 2 All Hands (London and Hawaii).
(For your reference: This current process is largely based on lessons we've synthesized from the past gatherings.)
This page outlines the nomination and selection process that will be used for the San Francisco All Hands.
The goals of the nomination process are:
- Invite volunteer Mozillians who can make a high impact contribution (and who have future potential), have high commitment, and ideally are able to mobilize other volunteers
- Have volunteer and staff Mozillians working in an integrated way -- during and immediately before and after the All Hands
- Have teams thinking about volunteer Mozillians strategically
- A process that has legitimacy with volunteers and employees
|Step||Start date||End date|
|Teams confirm designated person||Mar 13th||Mar 17th|
|Team nominations -- staff nominate volunteer Mozillians (different process by team ... run by Organization Designate)||Mar 17th||Mar 29th|
|Applications -- very lightweight application sent to all nominees to ensure nominees are available and want to attend||Apr 3rd||Apr 7th|
|Final prioritization -- by individual team Organization Designates based on lists of nominees who have confirmed availability||Apr 10th||Apr 12th|
|Final selection -- based on total number of spots available, formula for allocating spots per team, and prioritization of people by team||Apr 12th||Apr 14th|
|Invitations go out||Apr 14th||Apr 14|
|Registration and flight booking (information about this will be on another page)||Apr 14th||Apr 21st|
|Working with volunteers and teams on their plans for integration/communication → plan for this will be on another page||Apr 24th||Jun 26th|
Important note We are emphasizing greater gender balance
The following individuals are collecting volunteer nominations from employees for their respective parts of the organization. You will have heard from them, but please reach out directly if you want to nominate a volunteer.
|Open Innovation||Katharina Borchert||Konstantina Papadea|
|Emerging Technologies||Sean White||Azita Rashed|
|Marketing||Jascha Kaykas-Wolff||Ali Spivak|
|Firefox||Mark Mayo||Mike Hoye / David Bolter|
|People||David Slater||Larissa Shapiro|
|Mozilla Foundation||Chris Lawrence||Lainie DeCoursy|
Organization Designates will be accountable for:
- Creating/curating a volunteer nomination process for their part of Mozilla
- Communicating within their organization about this process
- Making final prioritization decisions
- Ensuring a good process across their organization to be in contact with/prepare volunteer Mozillians who have been invited
Criteria for volunteer Mozillian nominees
Guidance and criteria are here.
Please first get in touch with your Organization Designate if you have questions about how to nominate a volunteer Mozillian or how the selection process will proceed.
If you have questions about the process in general, please get in touch with George Roter or Francisco Picolini.