- 1 Why Triage
- 2 Who Triages
- 3 What Do You Triage
- 4 How Do You Triage
- 4.1 Weekly or More Frequently (depending on the component)
- 4.2 What About Release Status (status_firefoxNN) Flags
- 4.3 How Do I Handle Edge Cases
- 4.4 Watch open needinfos
- 4.5 End of Iteration
- 4.6 Tools
- 5 Questions
Staying on top of the bugs in your component means:
- You get ahead of critical regressions and crashes which could trigger a point release if uncaught
- And you don't want to spend your holiday with the Release Management team (not that they don't like you)
- Your bug queue is not overwhelming
- New members of your team do not see the bug queue and get the wiggins
See list of triage leads.
What Do You Triage
There are several queries you should be minding:
- All open, confirmed bugs in a component without a pending needinfo flag since 1 July 2016
- All bugs with pending needinfo's in a component which have not been modified in two weeks
- All bugs with active review requests in a component which have not been modified in five days
- Regressions without -status-firefoxNN decisions
- Regressions without a regression range
How Do You Triage
Weekly or More Frequently (depending on the component)
Find un-triaged bugs in your component.
For each bug decide priority (you can override what's already been set, as a triage lead, you are the decider.)
- Fix in the current release or iteration
- Fix in the next release or iteration
- Will not fix, but will accept a patch
What About Release Status (status_firefoxNN) Flags
See the cheat sheet.
How Do I Handle Edge Cases
I Don't Have Enough Information
If you don't have a reproduction or confirmation, or have questions needinfo someone who can answer your question and finish triaging the bug when they reply.
This doesn't fit into a P1, P2, P3, or P5 framework
Mark it as a P3. If it's a tracking bug, make sure it's marked as [meta].
Remove any priority set, then either move to what you think is the correct component, or needinfo the person responsible for the component to ask them.
I don't think we should work on it at any time
If you'll accept a patch, mark it as P5, otherwise, close it as WONTFIX
Watch open needinfos
Don't let open needinfos linger for more than two weeks. Close minor bugs with unresponded needinfos. Chase down other needinfo requestees. The tool will help you find these (the query is imperfect.)
End of Iteration
- P2s become P1s after review
- Hoist selected P3s to P2's or P1
One tool we use in addons is triage-with-me. Its a Firefox Add-on that sends all the pages you click on in bugzilla into a server which then sends the URL to everyone else in the triage.– Andy McKay
The upshot is, one person clicks on links in Bugzilla, the bugs open up on everyone else's computer.
- Ask in #bugmasters on irc.mozilla.org
- Email email@example.com