Guide on helping brand new contributors find first tasks and match their skills/interests to projects/teams.
- Contribution area: An area of the Mozilla project open to contribution
- Pathway: A set of steps for building skills and responsibility in a contribution area.
- Guide: A person who helps a potential contributor find the contribution area that's right for them and start them along that area's pathway
- Manual: A document which a Guide uses to help match a contributor up with a contribution area
- Choose Your Own Adventure: A set of books in which the reader is the protagonist.
- Need to know the contribution areas
- Need to know the pathway entry points for each contribution area
- Need to be know how to use the Manual as a tool
- Need training?
- Lists contribution areas, and for each...
- Pathway entry points
- Passive communication channels
- Inter/active communication channels
- Model user types with "I want to..."
- "I want to write code in <language>."
- "I want to find a way to help but I don't know what and I have no skills."
- "I want to add a feature to Firefox."
- How to turn ambiguity into contributions
- "I want to know when Firefox OS is available in my country."
- "I want to get some stickers to give out at my school."
- "I use Chrome and I think Firefox tabs look like poop."
Accepting a Guide - Steps
- Send Acceptance Letter.
- Accept to Guides Mozillian, and promote to moderator on Discourse.
Discourse Functional Area Setup
- Create '<functional area> Guide Introductions!' Topic, and pin it.
- Create '<function area> FAQ ' Topic, and pin it.
- Supports CBT Pathways goal #3 - Support brand new contributors and the projects they join by building a community of mentors and a system to support them.
- Contribution area experts
- Bedrock team - and decisions about Get Involved page.
- Thursday, August 21, 2014
- This wiki page.
- Outline of what we want in the wiki.
- Definition of what it means to be a helper/guide.
- End Q3
- Reach out to all contribution areas
- Fully document one contribution area
- End Q4
- Program description is complete
- All contribution areas are documented
- 1-2 first contributions per "bucket" are well documented
- How to add more areas and tasks
- End of 2014
- Documentation for the guides for 2-3 starter tasks for each of the eight areas of Get Involved.
- End of 2015
- Human guides have been replaced by a bot written in Inform7 that converses with contributors and shepherds them into the right contribution area pathway.