Standing Agenda Items
Team Embedding Status
- Dietrich is putting together an overview of all teams/and stuff
- Jason is putting together a weekly email to team leads to draw out topics for evangelism
Where is everyone?
- Potch is on the Gaming autonomous collective w/ Martin Best
- Sole is on WebAPI layer w/ Andrew Overholt
- Callahad is on DevTools w/ Dave Camp
We need someone for Jason to reach out to on FxOS. Also, several major areas don't have embedded engineers:
- Cloud Services
- Research / Rust / Servo
Havi attended her first 7 AM FxOS weekly update meeting. Mostly focuses on launch countries, etc. Could put that info in a weekly etherpad? Not many major changes in a given quarter. Maybe focus evangelism info on just that level of granularity, rather than weekly? NOTE: the meeting contains proprietary/partner info. Best way to report back to team - TBD
Keep an eye on Panasonic FxOS integration. What's the developer story?
Potch spoke with Jason about GDC. Martin Best joined in and gave Potch a big brain dump. Focus is on demonstrating that we've done things we've promised.
- Focus on ubiquity of Web platform for games (and tooling).
- Embargoed major partner announcement at GDC.
- Potch working with cvan on Galaxy (web games portal)
- GDC is at the same time as MWC -- March 2-6 at Moscone
- Other ideas of things we should do? In-booth demos to focus on? Talk to Potch.
MWC is not requesting any help from Evangelism (per Pete Scanlon, etc.)
Sole still getting started. Spoke with Andrew, got topic ideas for Hacks... followed by an avalanche of other people wanting Sole to write articles about things. "You'll write this article / tutorial / etc for us, right?"
- Where should we collect topic ideas? Wiki?
- Paul Rouget wants someone to help write articles, tweets, etc., regarding @firefoxnightly updates
- Dietrich's strategy: "That's a great idea! You know about it, maybe you should write the draft and we can help edit and amplify it."
Dan spent most of last week focusing on DevRel team and infrastructure, focusing this week on reintegrating into DevTools team. Major updates:
- New performance pane work ongoing
- Hacks post on animation tools http://hacks.mozilla.org/2015/01/web-animation-tools-network-security-insights-font-inspector-improvements-and-more-firefox-developer-tools-episode-37/
- CSS or JS animations? - Just CSS for now
- Happy to help more with the FxNightly twitter account
- Havi: This is like the third Twitter account we're trying to support. Should we retire or rename some of these?
- @MozHacks: General interest, deeply technical
- @MozAppsDev: Stuff of interest specifically to app developers. Gets good community retweets, but struggling to find relevant content.
- @FirefoxNightly: Stream of consciousness for Gecko / Firefox.
Focus: feature drops & product releases (e.g., FxOS Broadcast Channel, Overlay)
Add Hacks ideas at https://wiki.mozilla.org/DevRel/Hacks
Planned for this week:
- Fx37 DevTools update http://hacks.mozilla.org/2015/01/web-animation-tools-network-security-insights-font-inspector-improvements-and-more-firefox-developer-tools-episode-37/
CFPs are being posted at the end date on the Evangelist Speaking Calendar with links/event details:
- SolidCon (June 23-25) closes today at midnight
- O'Reilly Internet of Things conf. "Big and well regarded, but we didn't have a presence last year."
- Anyone submitting?
- JSConf (May 27-29) CFP closes Jan 30 @ 9 AM Pacific
- Who's submitting? Great conf, full of the audience we want to reach.
- Potch! Sole! Callahad! The more the merrier for JSConf.
- CSSConf.au (March 26-27) CFP closes Jan 31
- Travel and accommodations covered
- Callahad to work with Ryan Kelly on proposal
- ThingMonk North America (March 4) CFP closes Feb 11
- Empire.js (April 26-27) CFP closes Feb 15
- Scotland.js (May 7-8) CFP closes Feb 15
- From the Front (September 17-18) CFP closes March 1
- Bologna, Italy
- Travel and accommodation expenses covered by conference.
- GopherCon (July 7-10) CFP closes at Mar 31 @ 10:00am Pacific
- Callahad to ping Heka team about submitting. Conf covers travel/lodging.
- sole at FOSDEM 1 or 2 february
- potch helping with the Codecademy Code Cadets workshop
- Sole @ London Web Components Meetup (Jan 13)
One-off Agenda Items
Jason met with John Jensen for ideas of how we can measure evangelism impact. Links with metrics to put into talks, etc? Jason still sorting through stuff, more later. But think about: how do we measure what we do?
Speaker Evangelism / Firefox OS
Dietrich put together a spreadsheet of folks speaking on FxOS. Mainly Google searches. Tried to figure out who was giving talks. Moz / partner employees? Mozillians? Other / "dark matter" evangelism? Who's doing this already, and how can we make it easier for them?
- Topic in a Box?
- Financial support?
Haven't gone through list in detail, and it's on FxOS at the moment, but clear room for repeating this for other launches. E.g., Firefox Hello. What's coming up, who are our dark matter / regional evangelists, and how can we support them in a timely, coordinated way? Havi and Dietrich to further develop / refine.
(phrase of the day: dark matter evangelism FTW +1)
Jason: Firefox Hello's landing was a surprise to a bunch of folks. How could we have gotten a heads up 2 weeks before landing? That's the key to our new evangelism efforts.
Jason: I wish we could standardize on Bugzilla keywords. Dietrich: Yeah, not gonna happen. But there are things like Trello boards that we can follow and ensure that we can consistently identify what bugs represent new features.
Last minute topics
Per-release Platform feature reviews!
- These could be async
- organize Hacks posts, etc.