Standing Agenda Items
Weekly Team Update from Jason
- Guest Speaker: Josh Carpenter on VR
- Update on VR markup: make it way, way easier for people to create things.
- Three.js is great, but it puts VR out of the reach of novice creators on the web.
- We've also learned quite a bit about what tooling we need. Tool should be great for both novices and advanced users
- Currently in closed beta; lots of caveats, heavy architectural churn in the core. Want access to the mozvr/vr-components repo? ping Josh.
- Goal for next month: "Open this codepen, make a VR scene."
- Belén to be intro'd by Sole at today's Project Meeting
- Ongoing soft campaign for developer edition.
- We need to create two posts and several videos.
- Jeff + Callahad to do an intro post for Nov. 3rd. What's new, VR, creative tools, etc. Getting a video out of this would be awesome.
- Also cover: Memory Tools in DevTools with video.
- Honza on deck to post followup about Firebug 3.0 around November 5th. We need to create a video tour of its features.
- Q3 goal review + Q4 setting will happen next week. Ping me if you need to reschedule 1:1
- working on performance presentation
- RTL work with Ahmed
- Reviewed Fall Campaign
- WOT Executive Review
- NDA work with chip partner
- Finished judging js13kgames
- 2016 Planning
- (mostly offline M-W writing talks)
- Reddit WebExtension Survey Results are in
- Summary on list at https://groups.google.com/a/mozilla.com/d/msg/devrel/viU_e8vLNho/BtfBAgmIDQAJ
- Similar analysis posted to Reddit itself at: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/3m0lis/data_from_the_what_webextensions_are_musthaves/
- Attempted to port my Accept-Language header switcher to a WebExtension.
- Failed: no API to tweak about:config prefs.
- Ported the Reddit Enhancement Suite add-on to a WebExtension. Partial success!
- Havi: I will write a Hacks article about this, available for publication this week.
- Filed about a dozen bugs. They're all linked from a meta-bug at 1208765
- Upstream is *very* interested in working with us on this. Could be a good, initial win for WebExtensions.
- Repo with more information at https://github.com/callahad/RES-WebExtension
- Reddit discussion at: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/3mi6qp/experimental_port_of_res_to_webextension/
- Compiling testcases for WebExtension API gaps / inconsistencies at https://github.com/callahad/webextension-tests
- "Finished" Push API demo: https://github.com/callahad/push-api-demo/
- It doesn't do much, but it should be enough for someone to read and understand the APIs
- Experimented briefly with Dokku, a self-hosted Heroku clone, since demoing things like Push requires an active backend service.
- Filed and fixed two bugs with their installation script.
- WOT exec review materials, slides
- Sony post for Hacks
- RejectJS plan and setup and all day boothing, so many TV demos
- Participation workweek this week - SWOT for Gaia dev, porting
- Interview for opensource.com w/ bkerensa
- Porting planning and event for late Oct
- Tech Speakers Week 3 & related activities, including a "test" workshop on "Building Your Credibility as a Tech Speaker and a Mozillian" happening now
- This week: Must ship Firefox Apps & Hacks newsletter this week
- HACKS: Trainspotting 41, DE 43 (author TBD), RTL posts 2 & 3 (Ahmed), something from Dan on Add-ons/Ext - please tell us what you need post
- Finalizing details of contributor participation (Mostly MozTechSpeakers) at Global gatherings (Mozfest, Mozlando, Leadership Summit)
- View Source support and promotion
- It apparently takes me about 6 days to beat a cold
- Trainspotting 41 tomorrow!
- Hacks Redesign!
- Platform Status Dashboard!
- Phone Screening candidates for Dave Camp's org!
- Revving up the View Source excitement engine!
- 'onboarding' Belen
- recovering after last week travel, sleep still messed up
- thinking of more 'value for money' strategies for devreling Firefox APIs, will send email to the list and we DISCUSS?
- Next week: Fronteers conf; working on a few details in the slides (some things are a bit too slow in firefox but is it my code or is it the browser? need to debug)
- This week: NO AIRPORTS!
- Booking travel and finalising details for upcoming conferences
- 2 new devrel-needed bugs
- Boston trip
- next week in London
- Stackato EOL
- back from Responsive Field Day Portland
- multiple days of headaches, :( hopefully that will end today
- (callahad): Hey! I was right about how Lanyrd builds its lists! https://botbot.me/mozilla/devrel/2015-09-21/?msg=50193723&page=1
- researching graphic design history, putting together thoughts for blog posts & future presentations
- worked on new jensimmons.com — creating a place to write and post
- ongoing – taking care of many details for upcoming conferences
- next week I'll be at An Event Apart Austin (won't make this meeting)
- I'm in London!
- Have been setting up accounts, computer, etc.
- I'm going to travel next week to Amsterdan to Fronteers conf
- I'm speaking to Sandra (Korea's GStar gamescon)
- Reviewed MDN games content and Met with Chris & Jason - I'm going to contribute articles / demos there (starting with tilemaps)
- Looking at the possibility of implementing a demo for directory upload - waiting for confirmation of the feature not being pulled off due to security concerns
- Advanced on my quest to get a laptop
- JSCONFEU (plus Reject JS) wrap up!
- Attendees for Reject is around 300. JSCONF around 500
- Around100 visitors to demo booth for Reject JS (waiting for feedback for JSCONF)
- 25-30 apps pushed to TV
- better, or best, collaborative hacking session because of TV (used as a tool)
- UNITE Boston
- Interest to have Mozilla speaker on WebGL to speak w their evangelism team at their Roadshows (send the list of shows scheduled)
- Interest by Facebook to have Mozilla speaker on WebGL be onsite for their games porting sessions
- How to Web (Nov 26th) Gadget Booth details to be planned this week
- Still need to start updating on Lanyrd with confirmed dev rel events
- VIEW SOURCE - we need your help to get ticket sales UP. 35 days til show time; MDN25 gets 25% off Early Bird Price; Twitter (@viewsourceconf #viewsource); we have IGNITE! set to kick off the conference Monday evening
- Looking for more sponsors - ARM? contact? TESSEL?
- Add Hacks ideas to https://wiki.mozilla.org/DevRel/Hacks
- Review the CFP calendar
(Try to keep things timeboxed and concrete. E.g., can we actually make a yes/no decision in this meeting? If not, discuss on list first.)
Q & A
Moment in Time campaign: early Nov: DE 44 launch - videos:
- Rachel Nabors (is on contract for some animations/may turn into video)
- WebVR video a possibility (Nick? )
2 hacks posts:
- Dan & JGriffiths - to write about Dev Edition
- Honza (Jan Odvarko)- ~Nov 5 - Firebug 3.0