EU MozCamp 2011/Format
- 1 Venue
- 2 Presentations & friends
- 3 Social
- 4 Tags
- 5 IRC channel
- 6 Facebook
- 7 Flickr
The Mozilla Camp will be held at the Kalkscheune
Tel: +49 (0)30 5900434-0
Fax: +49 (0)30 5900434-11
Right in front of KALKSCHEUNE there is a fee paying car park.
Distances from KALKSCHEUNE:
Berlin Tegel Airport: 8km
Berlin Schoenefeld Airport: 21 km
Berlin Hauptbahnhof (central railway station): 1,5km
U Bahn Station Oranienburger Straße: 250m
We will have 4 conference rooms, main space for chatting, out-of-schedule meetings and keynotes and another open space on the first floor for lunch.
Equipment for conference rooms
All the conference rooms will be equipped with WiFi, flipcharts, a projector, microphones, pens and paper.
Conference room layout
Each conference room will have a room host that will handle the speaker introductions, noise situation and timing.
Presentations & friends
We'll host multiple formats of group interactions starting from traditional presentations, through various workshops and work sprints to informal BoFs and hack sessions.
The basic rule is that speakers need to excel. The amount of content that we're going to have and our devotion to limit passive listening resulted in the decision to keep the presentations short (ideally: TED-style 20 minute long), while leaving more breathing room to workshops and other forms of active participation.
- We recommend that talks be concise and short (between 15 min (for a 30 min session slot) or 35 min (for a 60 min session slot) depending on what speakers agree with their track leaders
- Each talk or workshop should be in line with the general theme and tracks of this event and have a clear call to action to contribute to their project
- Slides will be presented from an external laptop (Keynote, OpenOffice, MS Office, HTML5 are ok)
- Each speaker will be assigned a support person that will help the speaker before, during and after his presentation with things like water, presenter device, timing, answering questions etc.
- Each speaker will work with the track leader to ensure his or her talk fits the track
- A projector
- Presenter table
- Confidence monitor (a small screen with the slide currently being displayed and potentially presenter notes)
- Presenter device to transition between the slides with laser pointer
- If the speaker will decide for the Q&A format, a tablet with topvoted questions
- Minimal clutter (as little cables etc. as possible)
- A stage host will help with timing, laptop policy, noise etc.
Anyone willing to apply for a speaker slot should think about the impact he or she is willing to make and how this impact is aligned with the theme of this MozCamp.
Applicants are requested to provide:
- In application email:
- 2-3 sentence summary of what they want to talk about
- 2-3 sentence summary of the impact they want to make with it
- Two weeks before the event
- Story plan for their presentation
- Short introduction email for participants who will want to contribute to the project. (see: Easy2Contribute)
- Selected Q&A format for the presentation
- Wherever the speaker is interested in getting Ideas for his talk from the participants
- Chosen tablet/laptop policy
- Week before the event
- Beta version of the slide deck. (the deck should contain everything the speaker is going to talk about but further changes are allowed past this point)
- Day before the talk
- Final version of the slide deck that will be used during presentation
If requested, a speaker will get a speaker angel who will help the speaker prepare for his presentation, deliver it, and handle questions and requests for autographs afterward.
Speaker angels will be recruited from the participants.
Questions and Answers sections are usually very chaotic, take a lot of time and give little in return. We want to improve the situation by offering each speaker a choice of one of three options for his talk
A speaker may choose not to go for any Q&A and use all the time he or she has for presenting.
No Tablet/Laptop policy
Each speaker will have a choice of how to handle laptops/tablets during his presentation.
Reommendations from the MozCamp planning team:
- No laptops/tablets
- Tablets ok, no laptops
- Laptops/Tablets move to the back of the room
- Tablets/Laptops ok
On Saturday night, Mozilla will be organizing a special dinner at the WEIHENSTEPHANER:
Neue Promenade 5
Tel +49 (0)30 84 71 07 60
Fax +49 (0)30 84 71 07 65
Please use #mozcamp to identify relevant content.
The IRC channel is #mozcamp.
If you make picture and upload them on flickr you can add them to the mozilla community flickr group. Don't forget to also tag them with mozcamp.