Status for August 13, 2015
Overall Project Health - YELLOW
- While development milestones for signing validation are being met, risks around the number of addons that are not yet signed and the ability of our current review team to meet the needs of the review queues are high. E10S development is ready for dev edition, but there are many add-ons not yet e10s compatible.
- Overall add ons strategy documentation in progress
- Add-On Signing: is now live in 41 beta, removal of the about:config override preference slated for 42 (excluding ESR and Dev Edition)
- e10s: e10s will ship in 42 Aurora. Add-on compatibility testing efforts continue to be maintained at http://arewee10syet.com/ Earliest e10s will ship in release is 43.
- WebExtensions: Extension API landed on Nightly. https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebExtensions has details.
- AMO further roadmap development is on hold pending resourcing.
- Add-Ons for FxOS are progressing, Status can be found at https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/PM/FxOS+2.5+Addons+Project
|Addon Signing||Unlisted addons considered critical are being reviewed as soon as they are submitted (unlisted queue is under control) but many unlisted addon developers have not (or are presumed to have not) yet submitted for review.||Lisa Brewster/Addons Review Team||reaching out to unlisted addon devs to ensure they submit for review, focusing resources on unlisted addon reviews, longer term we are changing how we review|
|AMO||Review Queue - we have insufficient resources for the listed review queue which is very long and growing. We recently hired one new FTE, but also have had to move one reviewer over to working on the validator improvements. We do have budget for a part time contract reviewer, and a candidate has been selected. Review queue challenges illustrated here: http://diox.github.io/amo-review-times/||Lisa/Addon Review team||Additional contract reviewers being hired now for short term mitigation, longer term how we review is being changed, SLA being established, etc.|
|AMO||Validator - the validator has several issues slowing down the queue - it is not providing very useful results to developers, and it is rejecting 4/5 addons.||Validator team, Kev, Larissa||We have plans in development, 2 Engineers assigned to improvements, and the first phase of these is nearly complete.|
Accomplished for Week
- Add-on signing shipping in 41 beta
- WebExtensions shipped in nightly
- Slow Add-On Watcher is in early development
- Phase one Validator improvements are all done or nearly done to be live in the coming week (see: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=runnamed&namedcmd=validator-p1&list_id=12471788)
- Benchmarks for validator improvements are in progress.
- Add-on reviewer new contract hire selected, final contract in progress, more contract resources pending.
Planned for Upcoming Week
- process for streamlined review signing of internal mozilla addons (experiments, system addons, lightning, etc) to be published on/around August 14
- test validation of known malevolent add-ons
- further establishment of full add-ons "program"
- progress on getting more reviewers onto the queue, both volunteer and staff (at least one more contractor, so two new contractors coming on in the near future)
- Signing Service Overview: https://wiki.mozilla.org/AMO/SigningService
- Case for Extension signing: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/04/15/the-case-for-extension-signing/
- WebExtensions: https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebExtensions
- Review queue time data: http://diox.github.io/amo-review-times/
- Meeting minutes archive for Add-On Signing Team: https://wiki.mozilla.org/AMO/SigningService/Meetings