- 1 Friends of the Firefox team
- 2 Project Updates
- 3 This week I learned
Friends of the Firefox team
- Rashelle Hopkins (rhopkinsdev) joined us last week and will help us as an Outreachy contributor on Picture in Picture until March next year!
Fixed more than one bug
- Richa Sharma
New contributors (🌟 = first patch)
- Shaoting Huang updated certificate error page buttons to match Figma spec
- Richa Sharma added support for cookieStoreId option in browser.contentScripts.register and added support for an array of cookieStoreId in the tabs.query API
- Noah Pesta fixed the PiP toggle glitch in High Contrast Mode
- Rashelle cleaned up preference for supporting multiple PiP windows and disabled right and middle-click events inside the PIP window and removed unnecessary `browser_closePipAfterCloseBrowser.js` test for Picture-in-Picture
Add-ons / Web Extensions
Richa Sharma contributed two new “contextual identities” (also known as “containers”) related additions to the Extension APIs:
Allow to register content scripts that match only documents loaded in a specified set of containers (given an array of the userContextId to match) - Bug 1470651
tabs.query can now be used to query tabs that belongs to a specified set of containers instead of just one (using an array of the userContextId to match instead of a single userContextId string value) - Bug 1730931
- The patches for enabling Fission by default in Nightly have landed, but there’s a slight hiccup: locally built instances of Firefox launched with `./mach run` don’t get Fission enabled. This is being tracked here.
We’re planning on shipping Credit Card Autofill to the UK, France, and Germany in this Nightly
- :tgiles fixed credit card autofilling where there are four credit card number fields in one form
- :tgiles fixed American Express cards not being selected when autofilling due to the <select> option value being “American Express”
High-Contrast Mode (MSU Capstone project)
- Project wrapped up last week! Thanks to the students for hacking on this and making Firefox better for folks using HCM!
- Project video
Lint, Docs and Workflow
- :tgiles has removed the Lockwise branding from the browser (minus about:protections but that’s expected)
- Outreachy intern Rashelle Hopkins will be joining us to help improve the Picture-in-Picture feature! Rashelle recently contributed the context menu option that allows moving the toggle from the right side to the left.
[mconley] Congratulations to mtigley and mhowell who are co-owning the Picture-in-Picture toolkit component with me, and another congratulations to niklas and kpatenio who are now peers of that component!
- We’re working with Ania from the Product team to groom the backlog for improvements to Picture-in-Picture in 2022. Stay tuned!
- Standard8 has landed a patch that ensures that OSFile.jsm never loads before first paint of the first window! This is the culmination of much work from several people to make it possible to replace OSFile.
- WebrtcWorker threads will always be visible even though they have low activity because they are nearly always important when they are recorded in a profile. Thanks to padenot for changing this!
Improved the tracks context menu:
Moved the tracks context menu button to the left side of the timeline.
Previous and current location of the tracks menu
Added a search filter, so you can find the tracks you are looking for easily.
New search filter
Made it easier to use the context menu with only a keyboard. Selected item state will not be reset all the time you toggle a track anymore.
- Firefox Profiler will not sanitize the profiles from external tools by default. But you can always check the checkboxes back to sanitize them if you want to. This is done because previously it was more likely to lose important information when they are always checked.
- Mark fixed reloading search-config on Firefox updates, if the local dump is newer than the current engines configuration. This ensures engines are up-to-date, even if Remote Settings cannot update them - Bug 1742788
- Daisuke fixed a visual glitch with some Firefox Suggest results breaking in small windows - Bug 1743369
- Daisuke fixed the Firefox Suggest onboarding dialog to not overflow when using larger system fonts - Bug 1730692
- Mandy made switch-to-tab results use adaptive behavior, so the next time you’re searching for a tab it may be higher in the results list - Bug 729241
- Drew fixed a problem where sometimes the Address Bar was showing 11 results instead of 10 - Bug 1743008
This week I learned
[mconley] Up until recently, we didn’t fire an event when a tab switch had occurred!
“TabSwitched” event is probably preferable to “TabSwitchDone”