Firefox/Projects/Async Places containers
Places containers currently use on-main-thread Storage APIs to get data from the Places database. This project will replace those calls with off-main-thread calls. Places containers include bookmark folders, history containers, tags, and bookmark and history searches and queries.
- Champion, lead: adw
STALLED, GOING DOWN, PEOPLE SCREAMING
- bug 536893 for the folder node (bookmark folders) back-end landed.
- Next: bug 552025 cleans up deprecated APIs.
- After that: File a new bug for the query node (history containers, tags, searches, smart queries) back-end.
- The opening of bookmark folders, history containers, tags, history searches in the Library, and other Places container-related actions should not contribute to the blocking of Firefox's UI because they cause database lookups.
- Rewrite the Places query API or its implementation.
- Complete the folder node (bookmark folders) back-end.
- Complete the query node (history containers, tags, searches, smart queries) back-end.
- Hook up the UI to the new APIs.
- Test Plan
- The back-end API changes can be tested through automated xpcshell tests.
- UI changes can be tested through automated browser-chrome tests. QA should be alerted to UI changes that may affect their testing, but their current tests should certainly catch regressions.
- We will keep our eye during regular release testing cycles for any regressions
- Schedule a testday to vet this feature once it is landed