This is mostly unrelated to the dialer but may still be nice to know.
Gabriele is the best person to contact for issues here.
- Delivers special messages over SMS
- Normally from carrier
- Can contain links, configuration messages, full text documents with APN, configuration for data connectivity, etc.
- Handled by Gecko as system messages
- Originally were going to go into Messages app
- Now a separate app, closes itself when messages are processed
- Apps can't close themselves, so hacks needed to work around this
- Lots of vendor-specific stuff
- Sent using special software from vendors called NowSMS, we don't have access to this
- Race: receive and process a message, then signal to close the app, then receive a message before app closed gets into a weird state