Haida is a program that aims to deliver a distinct user experience for Firefox OS based on the DNA of Mozilla and the Web. The program encompasses concepts and features that span multiple aspects of the OS and will span a number of software releases.
The features Haida will introduce are:
- Edge gesture based navigation
- Browser integration into system
- Universal search & navigation
- Replaceable homescreen
- Visual design refresh
- Updated systems tray and notifications
- Updated homescreen
- New content model (bookmarks, etc)
DRAFT - WORK IN PROGRESS
Haida Phase 1
Phase 1 will deliver the foundation for most of the Haida capabilities including the following:
Edge Gestures Between Open Content
On other mobile platforms, apps are like sealed containers. It’s hard to move between them without going home. That doesn’t feel very fluid to us. So we’re creating a new system that uses edge gestures to move through open apps and sites seamlessly. Swiping from the left or right edges of the screen, I can open an email, respond to a new notification, go back to a previous page while browsing, or multi task between two open apps. And I can quickly swipe from the top to see all my open windows. This new system feels more like the best of the web: connected and fluid.
- Edge Gestures meta bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=918792
- Edge Gestures UX spec: https://mozilla.box.com/s/cxsuctcrdsm4aou5983u (updated Oct 11)
- Drawer concept (Edge gesture prerequisite): https://mozilla.box.com/s/10ab2eoqoabvx6dhh82v (updated Oct 23 - Does not render properly in box.com viewer. Please download the file to view it.)
Browser Integration into System
- Browser Integration into System meta bug:
- Browser Integration into System UX spec: https://mozilla.box.com/s/v81wwi4xrnfkniin0pn9 (updated Feb 6, 2014)
With the new search and navigation bar, I can get to my favorites, type in a URL, or discover a new app, from everywhere. The search bar lives at the top of the screen, and I just tap or swipe to open it. Think of it as the unification of the Awesome Bar from the browser and the adaptive app search from the homescreen. And because Firefox OS uses web apps, when I find what I want, even if it’s a new app, it opens right away. I don't need to install anything. Everything is instant and web-like.
- Universal Search & Navigation meta bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=946452
- Universal Search & Navigation UX spec: https://mozilla.box.com/s/oiahvxjubsd7h6kgtkc2
We are an open platform. We win when people build cool stuff. Our goal is to build the best core experience and performance that we can, and then make it easy for partners and users to take Firefox OS and adapt it to their needs.
Replaceable homescreen meta bug:
Behind the scene, major work have started / will start
- on platform side
- Datastore API [bug 871445 - landed]
- Shared workers [12 weeks - should be delivered early January 2014]
- Tracking is on bug 916204
- IDB in workers [24 weeks - should be delivered early March 2014]
- Replaceable Homescreen [bug 898330 - should be delivered early January 2014]
- Customizable Lockscreen [bug 898348 - not expected before phase 3]
- Graphics improvement
- on gaia side
UX Roadmap/ Specs
Below you will find the proposals for phase 1 as of Oct 10th. We will be posted updated specs as revisions are available. PLEASE NOTE THESE SPECS ARE WORK IN PROGRESS and do not reflect a committed state for FC for 1.3:
- Download Manager: https://mozilla.box.com/s/m2fomed0t1naegxg7h6t (Jan 6, 2014)
- Updated App Drawer proposal: coming soon... (oct 22)
- Visual Refresh: [meta] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=925925
- Depends on:
- [Building Blocks] Update headers BB visual design https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=925929
- [Building Blocks] Update toggle switch BB visual design https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=925933
- [Building Blocks] Update range slider visual design https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=925945
- [Status bar] Color changing status bar https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=925930
- Depends on:
In addition, please refer to the UX team's breakdown of features, which is meant to be a matching pair to the technical roadmap above: https://docs.google.com/a/mozilla.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At7p7w52w1tOdC1rQzRJdHUyMWROVTZTZ1dNQ2NoLXc&usp=sharing#gid=0
Haida Phase 2
Nota bene: MWC will take place during this period. UI, UX and dev work may occur.
This version will introduce the Rocketbar and a new Homescreen.
- Rocketbar (phase 1) will provide Datastores search (among user's bookmarks, history and facebook contacts) and hopefully Marketplace and E.me search
- Homescreen will take advantage of the work done for replaceable Homescreen.
Behind the scene
- Apps will be refactored to take advantage of the sheets model for in-apps navigation.
- Mail and Calendar move to Datastore use
UX Roadmap/ Specs
Working specifications for phase 2 to date (again, work in progress as of Oct 10th):
- Updated Content Model: coming soon...
Haida Phase 3
This version will activate the full Haida concept.
- Boosted Rocketbar
- Search into e.me and Marketplace
- Search among exposed Datastores
- In-apps navigation with sheets
- Replaceable Homescreen
- Customizable Lockscreen
- New UI