Focus for iOS will be moving to a bi-weekly cadence, so our releases will be schedule driven rather than dictated by feature development progress. Both features and fixes will be allocated to the next available release upon completion. This will give us the ability to respond much more quickly to bug reports and user feedback.
While the release cadence will remain the same, the release numbering in this schedule is subject to change, as whether a release is classified as an X.0 depends on the significance of the features/enhancements being shipped.
As a further benefit, the process will be simpler and more predictable for the multiple teams involved, as all key milestones will recur on a bi-weekly basis as well. Also, the volume of work to test, translate, review etc... will be smaller for each release, allowing us to move much more quickly.
Releases with * indicate UX/feature-heavy releases.
Train Schedule - 2017
|Version||Sprint Start||String Freeze/L10N Hand-off||Feature Complete||QA hand-off||QA & L10N App Sign-off||Legal Sign-off||Submission||App Store Content Sign-off||Release||Release Themes|
|Aqua||July 17, 2017||July 20, 2017||July 28,2017||July 28, 2017||Aug 1, 2017||Aug 1, 2017||July 28, 2017||N/A||Aug 1-2, 2017||Bug fixes, Paste & Go|
|Burgundy||July 31, 2017||Aug 3, 2017||Aug 11, 2017||Aug 11, 2017||Aug 17, 2017||Aug 17, 2017||Aug 18, 2017||Aug 23, 2017||Aug 24, 2017||TBC|
|Cobalt*||Aug 14, 2017||Aug 17, 2017||Aug 25, 2017||Aug 25, 2017||Aug 31, 2017||Aug 31, 2017||Sept 1, 2017||Sept 6, 2017||Sept 7, 2017||TBC|
|Denim||Aug 28, 2017||Aug 31, 2017||Sept 8, 2017||Sept 8, 2017||Sept 14, 2017||Sept 14, 2017||Sept 15, 2017||Sept 20, 2017||Sept 21, 2017||TBC|
|Ebony*||Sept 11, 2017||Sept 14, 2017||Sept 22, 2017||Sept 22, 2017||Sept 28, 2017||Sept 28, 2017||Sept 29, 2017||Oct 4, 2017||Oct 5, 2017||TBC|
|Folly||Sept 25, 2017||Sept 28, 2017||Oct 6, 2017||Oct 6, 2017||Oct 12, 2017||Oct 12, 2017||Oct 13, 2017||Oct 18, 2017||Oct 19, 2017||TBC|
|Granite*||Oct 9, 2017||Oct 12, 2017||Oct 20, 2017||Oct 20, 2017||Oct 26, 2017||Oct 26, 2017||Oct 27, 2017||Nov 1, 2017||Nov 2, 2017||TBC|
|Harlequin||Oct 23, 2017||Oct 26, 2017||Nov 3, 2017||Nov 3, 2017||Nov 9, 2017||Nov 9, 2017||Nov 10, 2017||Nov 15, 2017||Nov 16, 2017||TBC|
|Indigo*||Nov 6, 2017||Nov 9, 2017||Nov 17, 2017||Nov 17, 2017||Nov 23, 2017||Nov 23, 2017||Nov 24, 2017||Nov 29, 2017||Nov 30, 2017||TBC|
|Jasmine||Nov 20, 2017||Nov 23, 2017||Dec 1, 2017||Dec 1, 2017||Dec 7, 2017||Dec 7, 2017||Dec 8, 2017||Dec 13, 2017||Dec 14, 2017||TBC|
|Kiwi*||Dec 4, 2017||Dec 7, 2017||Dec 15, 2017||Dec 15, 2017||Dec 21, 2017||Dec 21, 2017||Dec 22, 2017||TBC||TBC||TBC|
Legend of Milestones
- Sprint Start - Development work kicks off based on priorities identified, and commitments made in the last planning meeting, and continues for a period of two weeks.
- String Freeze/L10N Hand-off - All in-app strings for the release have been finalized, landed and vetted by UX/Content Strategy. Engineering generates a string export and provides to L10N by end of day.
- Feature Complete - Essentially code freeze. All development work on features, and identified bugs is complete as per previously identified priorities/commitments. The only code that should land after this point would be fixes to any issues identified as blockers by QA during their final test run.
- QA hand-off - A first/potential candidate build is created by Engineering, and passed to QA for final Acceptance Testing. (This is required/performed in addition to the ongoing feature testing which takes place throughout the development cycle, as particular items land.)
- QA Sign-off - Automated testing, as well as manual feature testing have been completed at a level determined to be sufficient for the release by QA. Any issues identified during acceptance testing, which were deemed to be blockers have been resolved, and the fixes verified by QA.
- L10N App Sign-off -
- Legal Sign-off -
- Submission -
- App Store Content Sign-off -
- Release -