Mobile/Projects/Multiple profile support
Provide multiple profile support in Firefox instances on mobile devices.
A significant number of people share mobile devices and the browsers that live on them. We want to make it possible for each user of a shared device to have their own Firefox profile, so other users don't have access to their browser history or other personal browser data.
- As a user of a shared mobile device, I want to know that my browser history and other data cannot be accessed by other users of that device.
- As a user of a shared mobile device, I don't want to have other users' browser history and other data merged with my own, so my awesomebar experience is personalized to me, not to the whole group of users of the device.
- As a user of a shared mobile device, I want the option of always having my previous session restored whenever I log into Firefox. This setting should default to not restoring my previous session, but instead starting a fresh session with no previously-opened tabs.
- As a user of a shared mobile device, I want Firefox to automatically log me out if I close the browser.
- As a user of a shared mobile device, I want there to be a way to start a "guest session" in Firefox for people who want to use my device to do some web browsing, but who aren't going to be regular users and therefore don't need a full profile on the device. (see Guest mode)
- As a user of a shared mobile device, I want to be able to set my own accounts for sharing from Firefox (Facebook, Twitter, Pocket, Pinterest, etc.) These accounts should be associated only with my Firefox profile and not accessible to anyone else using the browser, and these should override any existing sharing system on the device that is likely personalized to the primary user/owner of the device.
- As a user of a shared mobile device, when I am logged into my Firefox profile, I expect Firefox's "private browsing mode" to continue working as it currently does.
- As a user of a mobile device that isn't shared, I want profiles & the whole concept of logging into my browser to be optional, and not a default. I do not need other profiles, I do not need a "guest mode", and I do not want to sync any of my data to the cloud or other devices, so please don't complicate the default user experience for me.
- As a user of a shared mobile device, I want my browser history and other data to be password- or PIN-protected, so I don't have to worry about other user accidentally or intentionally accessing it.
- As a user of a shared mobile device, I want the option of having Firefox to log me out of my browser session after a set period of inactivity so I don't have to worry about other users accessing my browser data if I forget to close the browser after I've stopped using it. This setting should have a reasonable default (10 mins?).
- As a user of a shared mobile device, I want my browser session to be quickly restored when I log back into the browser after I have been logged out due to inactivity.
- As a user of a shared mobile device, I want the option of syncing my Firefox browser information to the cloud & to my other devices where I use Firefox. (requires PiCL)