We live so much of our lives online, but we don’t always know what happens to the data we share or whose hands it ends up in. In order to have meaningful control of our online lives we have to understand our choices.
The Take Back the Web Campaign is built on student leaders and mentors who are ready to work together to raise awareness and empower other students to make choices about how their personal information is used online.
We are actively recruiting campus co-leads (2-5 students on a campus ready to work in a team) and local coaches (people willing to mentor one or more campus teams in their area). Applications open on March 23rd and close April 15th!
We believe empowered students are uniquely capable of driving real personal and societal change. We are running this campaign to empower students to educate and activate their communities to better understand their personal choices online.
- solve big problems
- channel our energy
- inspire others
- do it together
How We Will Achieve This Mission
We will empower students to create change through three Impact Areas:
- Change Behaviour. People are not powerless. If individuals know the risks and some simple actions that make an impact, they can take charge of their own privacy. Campaigners will educate people to change the way they understand and control their data online. Teams will organize and facilitate workshops that give people the tools to build habits that keep them in control online.
- Start Conversations. Institutional policies impact our lives in seen and unseen ways. Campaigners will investigate privacy and security issues on your campus to spark awareness and start conversations. Teams will work to better understand the landscape on your campus and shape the conversation around privacy and security.
- Build Technology. Privacy should be built into the programs we use. Campaigners will use technology to help make privacy and security accessible to all. Teams will strengthen the browser by hacking on challenging Firefox bugs and participate in challenges to design and create new technologies.
We will be recruiting "Campus Teams" of 2-5 students who will work together to start campaigns on their campuses.
We will provide training, resources, activities and support around three areas of privacy related activity.
There are two ways to get involved:
Apply to Become a Campus Team - Applications close April 15th!
Privacy is a big issue and none of us can tackle it alone. Each of these impact areas will require a number of different skills and talents to get the job done. Build a diverse team of university and college students from your campus to tackle 2-3 of the impact areas above.
Here are some skills you might want to think about as you’re putting together your team: event managing/coordination, marketing/promotion, development/programming, recruiting, facilitating/presenting, researching, community building.
Apply to Become a Local Coach - Applications close April 15th!
We believe empowered students are uniquely capable of driving personal and societal change around privacy, but they’ll need expert support to succeed.
Sign-up to become a Local Coach and we’ll connect you with up to 5 campus teams who you’ll support, train, and mentor. Successful applicants will be organized, responsible, and have a passion for working with young people.
- Campaign Launch + Applications Open - March 23rd
- Recruitment Period Ends + Applications Close - April 15th
- Notification of Acceptance - April 22nd
We are dedicated to working in the open. Follow along with our issues on GitHub here.Questions? Ask on the FAQ here or email campuscampaign at mozilla dot com.