OpenNews/2011 Archive/Challenge Rules
The following are the terms and conditions (the Rules) for all Knight-Mozilla News Innovation Challenges (the Innovation Challenge). You must agree to the Rules in order to participate in the Innovation Challenge.
- The sponsor of this Challenge is Mozilla Corporation, located at 650 Castro Street, Suite 300, Mountain View, CA 94041, USA (“Sponsor”).
- No purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to enter or win the Innovation Challenge. Void wherever restricted or prohibited by law.
- You must not be a director, officer, employee, or contractor (nor a family member of any such person) of the The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, the Mozilla Foundation, the Mozilla Corporation, or any of their subsidiaries or international affiliates.
- You must be at least 18 years old at the time you submit your application to participate in the Innovation Challenge.
- Your submission to the Innovation Challenge must be your own, and must not make unauthorized use of any intellectual property that is protected by trademark, copyright, or other intellectual property laws from any source. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Mozilla Foundation and its directors, officers, employees, and agents from any claims, suits, losses, damages, and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) that arise from unauthorized use of any intellectual property.
- You agree to distribute your submission to the public under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.
- You are not required to provide the Mozilla Foundation or its subsidiaries or affiliates with any services or any special rights in your submission in order to enter or win the Innovation Challenge.
- Your submission must not contain advertisements or commercial endorsements.
- You agree that the Mozilla Foundation assumes no responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate information about a submission, whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Innovation Challenge or by any human error that may occur in the processing of submissions to the Innovation Challenge. The Mozilla Foundation is not responsible for any failure, problem, or technical malfunction of any telephone or other network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, email, or web browser on account of technical problems, traffic congestion or on the Internet or at any web site, any combination thereof, or otherwise, including without limitation injury or damage to your or to any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating in or uploading materials for the Innovation Challenge. The Mozilla Foundation hereby disclaims all express and implied warranties with respect to the Innovation Challenge. If, for any reason, the Innovation Challenge is not capable of running as planned, the Mozilla Foundation reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, delay, or suspend the Innovation Challenge. You hereby agree to the preceding disclaimers and waive, release, and covenant not to sue the Mozilla Foundation and its directors, officers, employees, and agents for any claims, suits, losses, damages, and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) that arise from any of the causes or conditions described in this paragraph.
- You grant the Mozilla Foundation the right to use your name for advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation.
- Each participant selected for the Knight-Mozilla News Technology Learning Lab (the Learning Lab) or the in-person Hackfest (Hackfest) may be required to sign: (a) an affidavit of eligibility and liability release releasing the Mozilla Foundation and its directors, officers, employees, and agents from any and all liability, claims, demands, and causes of action for personal injury or damage, theft, loss, or any other harm suffered in connection with the Innovation Challenge, the Learning Lab, or the Hackfest and (b) any relevant tax documentation. Entry into the Innovation Challenge constitutes each entrant's agreement to sign such documents. A selected participant's failure to sign and deliver any of such documents when requested may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate Learning Lab and/or Hackfest participant. If you are selected for a fellowship with the Learning Lab, you may be required to perform services for the Learning Lab, for example, developing web applications. Any violation of these Rules by any participant may result, in the Mozilla Foundation's sole discretion, in such participant's disqualification and the termination of all privileges as an Innovation Challenge participant.
- All interpretations of these rules and decisions of the Mozilla Foundation in all matters related to the Innovation Challenge are final. The Mozilla Foundation reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds or believes: (a) to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Innovation Challenge or its web site, (b) to be acting in violation of these Rules, or (c) to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any other person.
- The California courts (state and federal) have sole jurisdiction of any controversies regarding the Innovation Challenge, and the laws of the State of California govern the Innovation Challenge. You agree to waive any objections to jurisdiction and venue in those courts and hereby submit to the jurisdiction of those courts.
- For the name of the participants in the Innovation Challenge and/or a copy of these Rules, see our website at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/MoJo/Challenge_Rules, or send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Knight-Mozilla Innovation Challenge, Mozilla Foundation, 650 Castro Street, Suite 300, Mountain View, California 94041-2021. Please note on the front left-hand corner of the outer envelope whether you are requesting Rules or the names of the Participants in the Knight-Mozilla Innovation Challenge. Vermont residents may omit return postage if requesting a set of these Rules.