Pathways/meetings/Meeting 06 12 14
- Time: Thursday, June 12 at 11:15 AM Pacific / 18:15 UTC
- Video: Larissa Shapiro's vidyo room (use this link for guest access)
- Audio: If video doesn't work, Phone: Call 1-650-903-0800, x92 then 9 and 864586458645 then #, or: +1 800 707 2533, pin 369 - then 9 and 8645then 8645 then #8645 then #
- Room: Get to Angela Davis in San Francisco and The Hulk in Mountain View (first floor behind the people team desks)
- Backchannel: irc://irc.mozilla.org#cbt
- Hashtag for meeting: #mozillapathways
Please feel free to take notes: https://cbt.etherpad.mozilla.org/pathways-2014-06-12
I am __________________ @ ________. I got involved by ________________ and my favorite thing about June is _____________________
- Christie Koehler
- I am @lizznoonan. I got involved by being a volunteer > intern > contractor > employee on the Brand Engagement team and my favorite thing about June is my birthday/it's my favorite month!
- Mike Larsson @stenington
- Chloe Varelidi
Chloe Vareldi will present her amazing Pathway finding tool!
Discover is a tool prototype that connects Open Badges to your interests, education, experiences and personality traits. Combined, these paint a picture of the skills you have -- and where you need to grow -- to apply for your dream job, volunteer position or learning opportunity.
- initially design to help young people explore possible career paths
- interviewed people working in different industries, created a directory
- pathways in real-life aren't linear; more like puzzle pieces
- discovered that telling your personal pathway story is rewarding, both for the storyteller and for audience
- badges are core vs not-core?
- Can we include badges from anyplace from the open badges world?
- planned to have the discovery connected to directory of badges of issuers from all over the place
- what about analytics? would like to have this
- can we adapt to use to outline and guide people through mozilla contrib pathways?
- working with 3 contributors to learn about use case
- stories are important, can we outline what points to collect with getting people's stories? e.g. what's a badge-able moment, etc.
Mentoring to Guiding
- Full discussion over email here: https://pastebin.mozilla.org/5392563
- Can we make an action point about this and broadcast it over the Project Call?
- Let's set a deadline:
- What are the next steps for establishing Guides as a thing?
- ck will start an etherpad and we'll hack on it together
- will aim to publish by end of june
- not a new thing, people are already fulfilling this role in some areas of the project. we can identify them and make sure they have the support they need
- suggested approach: clarify what a guide is, what scope is and id how to support (vs approach as we're changing mentor to guide)
- there's a specific context for this:
- We want to define a group of folks who provide support for brand new Mozillians or new contributors, as well as existing ones who want/need a new project. This is not meant to change terminology or scope for existing successful mentoring programs.
- Action items:
- team will hack on an etherpad for documentation share and turn that into a blog post defining this project and share out around the project
- we will then seek out folks who may already be doing guide type work to learn from them
- eventually, we'll communicate this out broadly and use it on channels such as (but not limited to) the get involved page, in order to help move new contributors forward
Contributor matching and timely contribution opportunities improvement
- This is similar to pathways finding tool
- Skipped this week, we'll come back to it when Jennie is back.
Non-profit partnerships and pathways building (Larissa)
- Goal: Build NGO and non-profit partnerships that will help us broaden our contribution opportunities.
- Ask - is anyone else working on partnerships in their area?
- Lyre - community lead for code for boston (chapter of code for america), also have Mozillians in Tulsa (luke crouch), chattanooga (?)
- Seems like a great synergy with Teachtheweb team & Maker Party/Mozfest folks.
- Ben M. from MoFo could be a great point of contact firstname.lastname@example.org (development/partnerships lead)
Contributor spotlights and "story telling"
- Opportunity: about:mozilla newsletter, re-vamped get involved page (in development), member of press team is working on documenting contributor stories in interview style
- How do we triage who to highlight? e.g. how do we identify who justin should interview when (bugzilla ??)
- Have a separate meeting to figure out process? Yes.
- Would you like to be involved?
Work week update?
- Working on organizing a joint community building working group meetups this summer. Pathways, recognition and education. Reached out to folks individually. Tell Larissa if you didn't get an invite and want to attend.
- How to get involved with planning? Put your name here:
What is one new pathway you have identified recently? Lizz: "Brand Police" - lightweight, entrance pathway that has volunteer contributors reporting old logos, outdated websites, etc. to the creative team +1
Action Items and Notes
- Action items:
- CK: edit and post meeting notes
- CK: start etherpad to brainstorm post about what is a "guide" and how pathways is working to support them
- Larissa: Organize a meeting with contributor storytelling stakeholders to figure out how to identify and collect stories
- Jennie will add them here https://trello.com/b/akOzVtW1/pathways-working-group-action-points on Friday
- Video of meeting
- Notes of meeting