Platform/DOM Bug Triage
- 1 Overview
- 1.1 New bugs - do this daily
- 1.2 Unanswered-needinfo new bugs - do this daily if possible
- 1.3 P1 bugs - do this weekly
- 1.4 Chipping away at bugs that may have been forgotten - doesn't have to be done daily
- 1.5 Orange bugs (w/ lower failure frequency) - doesn't have to be done daily
- 1.6 Priority nomination
- 1.7 Bugzilla Query List
- 1.8 References
Bugmasters/Process/Triage#How_Do_You_Triage gives an overview of how we do triage and what each priority means. The goal is to set a priority in as little time as possible!
New bugs - do this daily
New bugs that need actions
Each day, for each of the bugs in the lists above, set the priority field. Here's a cheat sheet:
- P1: this is a major issue and needs to be fixed ASAP. You should also ensure someone is assigned or at least needinfoed!
- P2: we should fix this soon (or someone's already working on it)
- P3: this should go into the ever-growing pile of "work we should do some day"
- P5: we likely won't spend time on this but if someone contributes a patch, we'd review it (aka "the polite WONTFIX")
Let's ensure newly-filed bugs in a variety of DOM-ish components are actionable as soon as possible after their filing. This doesn't mean we're going to fix them sooner but that they'll be fixable when we get around to attempting to fix them. Inspiration taken from Platform/GFX/TriageSchedule.
- is this bug in the correct component?
- do we need a regression range?
- needinfo for more information, e.g. URL, STR, or module owners' comment, if you can't decide the priority right at the moment
- note: an assumption here is that bugs with non-nobody assignees are progressing towards a fix in some way
Unanswered-needinfo new bugs - do this daily if possible
- is there an outstanding needinfo request for any missing information?
- is there someone else who could answer?
- is there a more appropriate person to needinfo?
- see above for other tips for dealing with new bugs
- do these people or their managers need to be emailed?
- Set priority if you've done above and there's no pending needinfo so it doesn't show up in tomorrow's list
Bugs with outstanding needinfo?
P1 bugs - do this weekly
- is there is an assignee?
- is there anything needed to make this bug move forward?
Chipping away at bugs that may have been forgotten - doesn't have to be done daily
- is there anything needed to make this bug actionable?
- is this bug being prioritized appropriately?
- is this bug even valid anymore?
Orange bugs (w/ lower failure frequency) - doesn't have to be done daily
Orange bugs w/ high failure frequency will be logged in the "New bugs" query, i.e. we could treat them as normal incoming bugs without extra steps.
Still, it'd be good we pay attention on orange bugs with lower failure frequency.
- are any of these in areas you can fix?
- are any of these in DOM-ish components that aren't getting traction? can you politely nudge someone on the team to take a look?
- are any of these obviously in the wrong component and moving them would help get closer to a resolution?
Make P2s to P1s, and P3s to P2s/P1s after review. (De-)Nomination happens at least once a release.
- are any of these super-urgent and thus really P1?
- if we marked something as P2 and it's been that way for a while, do we really need to keep it as such or could it become a P3?
- is a bug even valid anymore?
Bugzilla Query List
Blink's Triage Best Practices document is a nice read