Platform/DOM Bug Triage
- 1 Overview
- 1.1 New bugs of "defect" type - do this daily
- 1.2 Unanswered-needinfo new defect bugs - do this daily if possible
- 1.3 P1 bugs (including defect, task, enhancement) - do this weekly
- 1.4 Priority nomination
- 1.5 Bugzilla Query List
- 1.6 Chipping away at bugs that may have been forgotten - doesn't have to be done daily
- 1.7 References
Here gives an overview of how we do triage and what each priority means. We now have three types of bugs: defect, task and enhancement. Our engineering daily triage practice focuses on defect bugs. Bugs with type task or enhancement will generally be reviewed with PM/EPM. The goal is to set a priority in as little time as possible!
New bugs of "defect" type - do this daily
New bugs of "defect" type that need actions
Each day, for each of the bugs in the lists above, set the priority field. We'd like to have the priority set within two weeks after bug filing, especially a bug with "defect" type. Here's a cheat sheet:
- P1: this is a major issue and needs to be fixed ASAP. You should also ensure someone is assigned or at least needinfoed!
- P2: we should fix this soon (or someone's already working on it)
- P3: this should go into the ever-growing pile of "work we should do some day"
- P5: we likely won't spend time on this but if someone contributes a patch, we'd review it (aka "the polite WONTFIX")
Let's ensure newly-filed bugs in a variety of DOM-ish components are actionable as soon as possible after their filing. This doesn't mean we're going to fix them sooner but that they'll be fixable when we get around to attempting to fix them. Inspiration taken from Platform/GFX/TriageSchedule.
- is this bug with the right type?
- is this bug in the correct component?
- do we need a regression range?
- needinfo for more information, e.g. URL, STR, or module owners' comment, if you can't decide the priority right at the moment
- note: an assumption here is that bugs with non-nobody assignees are progressing towards a fix in some way
Unanswered-needinfo new defect bugs - do this daily if possible
We'd like to see needinfo answered in 10 days.
- is there an outstanding needinfo request for any missing information?
- is there someone else who could answer?
- is there a more appropriate person to needinfo?
- see above for other tips for dealing with new bugs
- do these people or their managers need to be emailed?
- Set priority if you've done above and there's no pending needinfo so it doesn't show up in tomorrow's list
Bugs with outstanding needinfo?
P1 bugs (including defect, task, enhancement) - do this weekly
- is there is an assignee?
- is there anything needed to make this bug move forward?
- is this still a valid P1?
Make P2s to P1s, and P3s to P2s/P1s after review. (De-)Nomination happens at least once a release.
- are any of these super-urgent and thus really P1?
- if we marked something as P2 and it's been that way for a while, do we really need to keep it as such or could it become a P3?
- is a bug even valid anymore?
Bugzilla Query List
Chipping away at bugs that may have been forgotten - doesn't have to be done daily
- is there anything needed to make this bug actionable?
- is this bug being prioritized appropriately?
- is this bug even valid anymore?
Old bugs that need re-prioritization or re-validation
Blink's Triage Best Practices document is a nice read